Reason for concern?

Don't assume, because of some of the comments, that this ammo is useless. It has its good points and bad points. I'd rather fire it than a .380. I'd prefer a 158 sec with 100 fps more velocity.

The reality is that There are better loads,far better loads, but this is adequate for defense, actually far better than some of the semi auto fan rounds commonly carried.

Yes, use up that ammo. Discard the ones that are dented. Don't buy sb for carry, whatever you carry should be top grade. Trade out those rounds every few years. Trading them out annually? That assumes that just normal handling will damage either powder or primer,and I don't believe that that will happen sliding them into a revolver.

noticed that the bullet was a little recessed in the mouth.

So this made me think of two things: the importance of a firm grip on the bullet in the case and that of COAL.

What would you do with these?

What would I do? Shoot them. And resolve to crimp better in the future.

---edit to add----

ah, factory ammo? Whose? Major commercial maker, contact them. Random reloader, discard. Sounds like there might be some quality control "issues".

Those damnable armchair experts on TFL!!

Hrumph! I'll have you know I'm in an armless office chair, in someone's basement, waiting for a computer to reboot.

Now I've heard it all. Posting while rebooting

Ten years ago I'd have thrown the bs flag. Twenty years ago a guy told me that defragging his computer slowed down his game of doom.

Well, back then doom was dos only and Norton wasn't. This wasn't an issue like talking with your mouth full, it was more akin to driving while someone else had borrowed the car.

Now I've heard it all. Posting while rebooting

Ten years ago I'd have thrown the bs flag. Twenty years ago a guy told me that defragging his computer slowed down his game of doom.

Well, back then doom was dos only and Norton wasn't. This wasn't an issue like talking with your mouth full, it was more akin to driving while someone else had borrowed the car.

Even 10 years ago, that would have been possible. He didn't say that he was posting from the same machine that was rebooting.

He also could have been posting from an iPad or Android device (tablet or phone) while the computer was rebooting.

Do you ever run or jog while carrying that gun?

If the rounds have a little fore and aft movement in the cylinder (fairly likely) and they had a weak crimp to begin with (also likely on a dead soft lead target load) And they bounced up and down while carrying for a long period of time, it's possible.

Basically, you just created a kinetic bullet puller.

Do you ever run or jog

You don't know me very well, do you?
:D

That question alone would have my wife in peels of laughter for about 36hrs...:p

Put it this way...
I have been known to run to the water closet but only under very pressing circumstances...

What would you do with these?

Since I believe like me, you reload, this is what I would do. I would use my bullet puller to pull the recessed bullets back out to where they need to be. Those that have jumped crimp, I would push back to where they need to be and I would shoot them for practice and find another brand/type of ammo for EDC. I personally load my own SD/HD for my .38 snub.

You don't know me very well, do you?

Ah. Ok. Perhaps "do you walk heavily?"

I'm of the mindset that there are two reasons to run...

Flight or pursuit.

If those can be avoided, more power to you!

:)

For home defense use, we loaded our Rugers with 148 gr lead wadcutters back in the 70s on recommendation of my father-in-law Border Patrol officer. No internet then and no mall commandos either, so we sought out a knowledgable LEO. He said over penetration in a house with children in a separate bedroom was, and still is for that matter, a serious consideration. In actual tests, we loaded them til they'd penetrate one layer of sheet rock but barely got through the 2nd. Trusting to the soft lead, flat faced bullet to do enough work in our house.

If you use your revolver in an apartment, penetration and angles of fire are two issues you need to consider.

Times have changed and much better defensive rounds are now available, but the penetration that so many want, nowadays, may be a big negative in your own home. It's worth considering...

HTH's and YMMV Rod

Most of us would consider the .38 Spl wadcutter load to have inadequate penetration for defensive use. Make no mistake, it IS LETHAL, WHEN the bullet reaches a vital spot. However is it not powerful enough to RELIABLY reach a vital spot under all possible conditions. Nor, was it ever made to be.

I agree with this as it pertains to target loaded wadcutters, but the bullet, itself, is not the problem.

I carry cast 148 DEWC loaded to 950 fps from my snubby, for all the reason the OP mentioned, and a lack of confidence in heavy hollow points to expand properly at snub velocities. (Light hollow points reaching expansion velocities hit way low in my snub)

Buffalo makes a high velocity wadcutter load specifically for defensive use.

So, I'll agree that low velocity target wadcutters don't cut it, but the wadcutter, as a bullet, is a great choice when loaded to full power velocities, if expansion can not be counted on.

Even in target ammo, the bullets should never move. Just the tension of properly sized case should make them impossible to move with fingers, even if not crimped.

Jim Cirillo was a big fan of wadcutters loaded to higher than factory velocities, based on his experience with the NYPD stakeout squad.

I shoot 38 wadcutters in a s&w airweight because I can actually, reliability, consistently put 5/5 shots in center mass. since no other rounds offer shrapnel or concussive shock wounds from misses, I both practice with and edc wadcutters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

????

Do you know who Cirrillo was? What he and his squads achieved in NYC is near legend.

Cirrillo era was in the revolver days, and at the time I believe NYPD could not use any expanding bullet, and .38 spl lead was the norm. At a guess, I'd say 158 fr RN was issue, but I could be wrong about that.

If Cirrillo recommended WC over RN and SWC, he would be one to know.

Back