rear pocket carry?

sourdough1938

I would like to carry in my rear pocket but what pistol will fit without printing? I have a S&W M&P compact but it is just too big to fit in most of my rear pockets.
I would like to stay with at least a 9mm. Any suggestions?
Sourdough1938

I carry a 380 s&w bodyguard everywhere in my back pocket of jeans. It prints the shape of a wallet. It stays in the same position. I know it's there when sitting in hard seats. Easy to draw.

If you would go with a 380, a Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard in holster might work for you.

Otherwise, a 9mm might be pretty tough to pull off unless you wear a giant pair of jeans.

Sourdough, whether rear pocket carry would be good idea is your decision. I carried a revolver in a front pocket in a holster at one time, but I no longer do.

Here are some things that anyone choosing a method of carry might do well to think about:
  • Accessibility from different positions--moving, standing, sitting, or in the event of a fall, lying down
  • Speed of draw and presentation
  • How a fall on the gun might contribute to an injury
  • How well you can retain control of your strong hand and access the gun while being accosted physically in close quarters or being forced against something
  • Retention
  • Ability to reholster one-handed
  • Comfort
  • Adequacy of concealment, printing
Just a few ideas--the list is not exhaustive.

I carried in a pants pocket for a while. I later changed to IWB. For reasons related to some of the points above, I now carry OWB with a jacket or long shirt. I also often carry a back-up in a weak-hand vest pocket in a holster. That mitigates accessibility issues while driving a car.

What I do may not suit you at all, but I do suggest running down the list.

Others may have additions or better suggestions.

That's not exactly what you asked for, but I do hope that you find it helpful.

I've carried a P32 in my rear pocket for years without an issue. It's all a question of holster type, and then practice.

More power to you if you can do it. I'd have two problems . . 1st is sitting on it and second is reaching around and getting it out. I'm older and my movements and arms/shoulders are much stiffer than they used to be - so, I carry on the belt. A decent pocket holster should print more like a wallet than the outline. The next trick will be to find a pistol of the right size that fits your needs.

So far, the only gun I've been able to successfully conceal in my back poacket has been my M&P 380. J-frames are ok in a back pocket if you're not sitting on them.

We folks with bad backs learned long ago that even a wallet in the back pocket can make your back hurt when sitting. A gun has the potential to make it hurt far more. If you carry there and your back hurts, as Bill Engvall says........

Diamondback DB9 inside of pocket holster - looks like a wallet if you get the right one. I cut one down that was made for an LC9 down to fit my DB9. It will do what you want. It's a snappy little thing to shoot - not a range gun!

Bob Mika makes a fantastic pocket holster, he can cut it square to fit in the back pocket of jeans.

Should look just like a wallet back there...

I would imagine there a lot of smaller guns out there that would work.
You could even look for pants with bigger rear pockets.
Myself I have been known to carry my P32 in my back pocket with a wallet holster. And never really know it's there. Just beware of the man with 2 wallets :)

We folks with bad backs learned long ago that even a wallet in the back pocket can make your back hurt when sitting. A gun has the potential to make it hurt far more. If you carry there and your back hurts, as Bill Engvall says........

+1, true story my friend. Appendix carry is where it's at if you ask me for something the size of the M&P Compact. It's an easy spot to conceal, a comfortable place to carry, and a really fast place to draw from whether you're seated or standing. I'd be looking at an appendix rig if I had that gun FWIW.

Eric

I've been carrying a Ruger LCP in a Talon back pocket holster for a couple of weeks. Surprisingly comfortable, and easier to grab than IWB under a shirt. It's more comfortable than IWB holsters, and sits far enough to the side you can sit down without any problems. The only thing you have to be careful of is some jeans have small pockets that aren't deep enough to close over the top.

In a pinch you could use the same holster in (large) front pocket, jacket pocket, or cargo pockets. Overall the faster draw will be from the rear.

I've been carrying a Ruger LCP in a Talon back pocket holster for a couple of weeks. Surprisingly comfortable, and easier to grab than IWB under a shirt. It's more comfortable than IWB holsters, and sits far enough to the side you can sit down without any problems. The only thing you have to be careful of is some jeans have small pockets that aren't deep enough to close over the top.

In a pinch you could use the same holster in (large) front pocket, jacket pocket, or cargo pockets. Overall the faster draw will be from the rear.

The M&P compact compared to the LCP is a half inch wider and taller, about an inch and a half longer overall, and nearly three times the weight with a loaded double stack magazine. Someone mentioned the Bodyguard 380 earlier which is also a comparable size to the LCP. So for reference to the OP, most guys who are doing this successfully are using significantly smaller handguns.

Eric

Rear pocket carry in a holster that prints like a wallet can work well. You can find a pocket-sized 9 Luger, but there are more choices in .380 Auto, and those will be easier with which to log range time.

I haven't tried rear-pocket carry, but I assume it would be comfortable, convenient, and, providing you find a good alternative way to carry your wallet, highly concealable.

the rear pocket is the easiest target for a [ pick pocket ],,, I don't even carry my wallet there...

not to mention sitting on stuff... my back pockets are always empty...

many years ago I made the life style change to not tuck in my shirts... now that I'm older & fatter, it even looks more "slimming" :rolleyes: I carry compact guns on my belt strong side...

I've been thinking about the hybrid inside waist band holsters though... but have finally found what works for me... hate to have to start buying holsters again, looking for the best ( for me ) tuckable...

the rear pocket is the easiest target for a [ pick pocket ] ...

Having a holster made out of grippy material, surrounded by a band of such material, or having a Velcro patch that mates to another in the carry pocket goes a long way toward foiling pickpockets.

If one opts to pocket carry often, it may be wise to take your favorite pants to a tailor and have the carry pockets on them customized to your needs.

Back