Really Dropped the Ball

Yes, I can legally carry my firearm CONCEALED in my vehicle, i.e. glovebox, center console, at any time, CCW license or not, just cannot carry it on my person until it arrives. Since they were coming up to me at my car, I had the right to brandish my firearm should I have perceived my or my wife's lives to be in danger.

avoid hauling expensive TVs through a darkening parking lot.

LOL, I have a special government-issue pass to do just that, along with anything else I care to haul around, any place I want to haul it. I have no consideration for anybody's civil rights who attempts to interfere for the purpose of their own personal gain at my expense.

Turns out they were just trying to bum money

Turns out that's frequently the way street robberies are initiated.They want money, and you have been targeted as a source. It's just one step away from going down.

Since they were coming up to me at my car, I had the right to brandish my firearm should I have perceived my or my wife's lives to be in danger.

Be very, very careful here.

This is not so in your case.

Merely walking toward you and doing nothing else, even though you may become alarmed, is not acting in a threatening or dangerous manner on their part. If you had brandished your weapon and they had seen it, you have now committed assault and used your handgun in an illegal manner. Your status as gun owner could very well be put in serious doubt.

Just because it doesn't seem right, doesn't mean they will absolutely be a danger. You have to do the right thing on your part as well.

You have many options before putting your hand on your gun. Use them. First and foremost is the ability to tell people to leave you alone, stay away, when they are at some distance from you.

In my opinion you really need to become better educated on your state's use of force laws. Some of your other posts strongly support my feeling.

I apologize for not being clear. I am not saying I was going to "pull" my gun just because people were walking towards me. In fact, the opposite was true. I was trying to hide my gun, and I was so paranoid about that fact alone that I took my eyes off of the subjects. I was replying to another poster who said something about having the gun in your car without a CCW. I spoke to the officer who did the class, as I still do from time to time with questions, and asked him that exact question. He said you can carry your gun concealed in a glovebox, and if you needed to use it, i.e. someone comes up to your vehicle to harm you, you're allowed to by law even without the CCW. It was important to me to be VERY clear on that point before having a gun in my car. Believe me, I don't want to EVER brandish the weapon under ANY circumstances, but I would have the right to do so there should the situation call for it. That's what I meant.

Shoulda just loaded up the TVs and went on your way.

I dont understand the fear of others I read about here so often.
Get a gun, then everyone you encounter is a bad guy. Keeps me home and safe from people in parking lots see me and thing frankensrteins monster is out to get me and shoot me.

Thankfully it is close to Christmas and the kids want to tell me their list :) and pull my beard.

I respectfully must disagree. Though I have not personally been accosted, I've come across people that have, and I do believe the threat of it happening to anybody on any given day is a very real possibility. In light of the economic situation of this country and the fact that the holidays are upon us, I believe people are desperate and will do crazy things. I think it's sad, really do, but I don't want to be a statistic; and if I can do anything to prevent being robbed or worse, I will.

markj- pray you continue to feel the same way and never have to face someone who truly wants to do you harm.

Steelers- I understand better what you mean now. It's the same way in my state, except you can carry concealed on-body in your vehicle without a permit. Actually it's referred to as extended domain, meaning the car is an extension of the home- anything you can do at home you can do in your vehicle as well.

You did good. That's what matters.

Rest assured the last guy the cops arrested was not the last bad guy left in town. What began as recreational drug use of crack cocaine and methamphetamine have given birth to a whole generation of severely imbalanced psychopathic and sociopathic drug addicted miscreants. Go down to your local police department every day for a week and read the incident reports. You won't believe what you see. May your gun stay clean and your ammo fresh, Grasshopper.

Back