reality of full metal jacket in a tube mag

"It is an odd fact, however, that the first smokeless high velocity military cartridge used both pointed bullets (not technically spitzers, though) and a tube magazine."

The original bullet for the 8mm Lebel, the Balle M, was a 232-gr. flat nose, flat base designed specifically for use in the Lebel's tubular magazine.

This is a Balle M-loaded round:

Kynoch8Lebel4.JPG

In 1898 the famous, solid-bronze Balle D was adopted. It was a boat-tail spitzer.

I don't think this is an actual Balle D, but the profile matches the ones I have in my personal collection.

Lebel_8mm_round.jpg

That is when the case head was changed to include both an annular ring (to catch the point of the bullet behind) and an "armored" primer cup, essentially a primer with two cups.

"The cartridge also had an unusual bullet that was stepped, like heel-based bullets such as the .41 Colt had."

Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but if I fully understand that statement, that's not the case. Both the Balle D and the Balle M were conventionally shaped, as was the later Balle N.

Both Balle M and Balle N were jacketed core type bullets, which would have made it VERY difficult to include any kind of step.

Oddly enough, during World War I, French troops actually did what they could to get hold of a Lebel instead of using the Betherier rifles, which they considered to be of inferior accuracy. Plus, they also liked the extra magazine capacity of the Lebel.

By that time most of the Lebels had been issued to conscripts and Colonial troops, so French front-line troops made a major push to get those rifles.

looking at the winchester 175 gr i bought at walmart..i see the lead tip is smaller than the primer..easily could go totally against it. end to end...soooooo...just thinkin out loud here but it is a flat tip but is it the lead or the metal that sets it off...or the pointed tip?? since it is flat tipped but not metal...lead....:confused:

The instance I mentioned, as stated, of the mag tube detonation at a CAS match in Wyoming was using LEAD bullets, since jacketed are not allowed.

Even with round-nosed lead, IF the nose is rounded enough & small enough & pointed enough to allow sufficient contact with enough of the primer, it CAN set it off under recoil.

Lead is metal, by the way. :)
Denis

Be interesting to know what kind of primers were being used, too.

Winchester, in the early days, loaded round nose FMJ bullets in the .30-30.

Their rounds used, as I described above, a dual primer cup, only the outer one had a hole in the center to allow the firing pin to hit the live primer and miss the protective cup.

I think I have one of those in my collection somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig it out and take some pictures.

I must dig out my sample of an 8mm Lebel cartridge, which has the bullet but no primer. Unfortunately I do not have the ability to photograph anything.

Well, I have my 8mm Lebel cartridge but I'm afraid I can't add much to the conversation here. There is no primer but clearly it was Berdan primed. Wikipedia said they had primer covers, something I hadn't heard of before. It also said there were three versions. Mine is not the original and probably not the last version either, which had a heavier bullet.

The bullet is the interesting part here. One usually doesn't get to examine the bullet in loaded ammunition but this one slips right out. The bullet is definately of a slightly stepped design, the second half of the bullet being of a slightly smaller diameter than the forward part but it is also boat-tailed. Not only is it slightly stepped, but there is a distince crimping groove. You may have noticed loaded cartridges that had bullets with crimps loose enough so the bullet could be turned or rotated but not removed without a lot of force. The bullet has markings on the base but too small to read with my eyes. It is three letters (ARS, maybe) over a date (4.27, maybe). The base of the cartridge is too corroded to make out any markings but the groove in the base isn't all that deep. Interesting cartridge. It came out of a little box of junk that also contained a Maynard cartridge. Even more interesting.

Last edited:
Back