Real world practice.

AL45

I see youtube videos of guys showing how fast they can draw, shoot and hit their targets. In most they are in a "ready" position and in some they actually start out with their hand on the gun. If I'm a bad guy, I might just be inclined to attack the guy who is carrying a bag of groceries in one hand and a watermelon in the other. Or maybe the guy who is sitting on a park pench sipping on an ice tea and eating a Big Mac. Just curious if anyone practices "drawing their hog leg" in situations such as this?

People should always practice as many scenarios as possible.
Much of it can be done at home while dry firing.
If I had groceries and a watermelon I'd be pushing a cart to keep my hands free.

I practice my draw at home, most ranges at least public ranges will not allow practice with a holster.

The scenarios you put forth, you are exactly right.
That's why it's important to try and stay aware of your surroundings.
I don't pretend im some sort of ninja and always spot people, sometimes people get into your blind spots, just do the best you can, don't engross your self in activities in public.

Don't glue your face to a laptop, tablet, cell phone, no ear buds listening to music.. etc

Try to scan your surroundings, A predator that sees you looking around on a regular basis is less likely to target you, They want the zombie not paying attention to anything.

You don't have to be a swat officer or navy seal, you just have not look like a easy target.

When you come out to your car check around it, make sure no one is hiding on the other side, pay attention when you bend over to put or take items out of your car.. this is a great time to ambush most people.

When ever Im carrying something I try to keep my right hand free so I can draw 1 handed if I need, don't be afraid to drop what you're holding, or even toss it at them as a distraction if possible.

what ever you do don't sit still once you commit to action move, even slowly will throw off most novice shooters try to move back and at a angle, rather then straight back.

You want to move back for distance and at a angle to throw off their aim.
Cover is great if you can get it but most SD shootings happen in the open and not going to play a role.

There is a stupid simple answer to this.

be aware.

At every second that you are out, be mindful that you are carrying a loaded gun, and that at any second you may have to use it. Don't park your hind end on a park bench with your back to the rest of the place and wrap your brain around your phone while your gun is stuffed into a waist band holster under your jacket.

Be totally, absolutely prepared to drop that case of wine, plonk it straight to the ground and survive the attack. If you are driving with a pistol, how in hell are you going to draw that IWB holstered 1911? Be honest with yourself, if someone smashes your window in with a bat while you sit at the curb texting, is he going to drag you out and beat you without having a chance to wriggle your weapon free?

In the real world, the Sensei doesn't say "go". There is no bell, starting pistol, dude at the front of the class who says "Okay, pick up your pens and start the test."

You, and only you, are responsible for saving your own life, and if you want to do that, you have to put the effort into learning how to do it. Get into the scenario, understand the process and how you will have to solve it. Going out and shooting cans isn't going to work, you have to practice the discipline of war. Learn the enemy, understand his capabilities and common practices, learn or create intelligent plans to deal with as many concerns as you can think of. When you are out and about, or elsewhere at potential need of drawing the gun, use that as a teachable moment. Go to a restaurant? don't be stuck at a booth back by the potty closet, request an table that faces the door, away from the cash register.

Many people think that getting the thing and learning how to poke holes in cardboard makes them safe, even more people think that a box of ammo when purchased is enough to make them bullet proof. Oh, how naive. My dad bought his first and only pistol after being attacked by a grizzly while fishing. He bought a box of ammo with it, fired that box and replaced it. Yep, seriously, he ran one box through it in the thirty years that he owned it, and NEVER too it out of his drawer.

Training without real world encumbrances is ineffective. Imagine that somebody has released his pit bull on you when you stumbled onto a robbery or other event. Your pistol is buried under a zipped leather jacket, you have a hot pastrami on rye in one hand and a big gulp in the other, and absolutely no hope of getting a shot off before bowser is gnawing on your knee cap. No, you can't just toss the sandwich and shout "get the stick, boy! Get the stick!" Whenever you are conscious, you must be aware of your circumstances and how your handgun is situated in regard to whatever may happen.

We have had numerous discussions about shooting to wound by shooting at the hip, and many, many people believe the old nonsense that shooting at the femur joint is safer than taking a chest shot. Lord knows, they guy may be wearing a vest, or have a Gideon's bible in his shirt pocket. I am guessing that not a single one of those people who believe in femur shots has ever spent an hour watching passers by and trying to correctly identify that target zone in the same amount of time as it would take to find the middle of an assailant's chest.

It's every person's responsibility to pull his own steak out of the campfire when the wind blows the tent over. Don't wait for the guy who is teaching you how to handle a gun and develop your accuracy to spend hours teaching you that you shouldn't bind your hands while walking or turn your back to the bunch of hoodlums in gang shirts when you walk past with a gold watch. It's not his job, and admit it, nobody is going to pay $50 an hour to hear "it's okay to drop that bag of groceries if someone tries to steal your wallet."

Last edited:
Great responses. They remind me of the way I was raised. My Dad always instilled in us that no matter what happened to us, it was always at least partly our fault for not paying attention or putting ourselves in a bad situation.When I was in college, 35 years ago, I had to take a psychology class and I remember the teacher talking about not looking like a victim to help prevent a mugging. He talked about looking around and looking tough when walking about. Judging from watching people who are oblivious to their surroundings everyday, $50.00 would be money well spent for someone to slap them upside the head and tell them to "wake up and smell the coffee". Or at least remind them to drop their coffee so they will have a chance to use what they learned in their "Bob Munden" class.

I think it has a lot to do with method of carry.

You can carry, have your hand on your gun, and be NON-Threatening.

I pocket carry. Its not uncommon to see someone walking around with their hands in their pocket.

You can be ready, yet know one but you know you are ready.

Lets assume you're at an ATM and someone comes up behind you. Are they wanting your money or waiting to draw theirs? Simple having a hand in the pocket, on the revolver and you're ready for either choice, yet the guy doesn't know.

Same when at a gas station, you're outside pumping gas. A guy walks up to your pump. Is he a car jacker or an employee reading the numbers on the pump? Again you can be ready for either without anyone but you knowing.

Maybe you're hunkered down during an active shooting situation at a mall or somewhere. You don't want to brandish your pistol which could get you shot by first responders thinking you're the bandit, yet you want to be ready if the bandit discovers your hiding place. You need to be ready to produce the pistol or empty hands instantly, without posing a threat if the gun isn't needed.

Some like belt carry. That's fine, not all of us are built the same or wear the same type of clothing.

I know many don't believe in cross draw. It can be dangerous on the range because you may sweep someone next to you while drawing. Simple fix, don't have anyone on that side while practicing.

But cross draw makes it easier, one, to draw with either hand, (face it, not always is our strong hand empty).

Second, if you have a unbuttoned shirt over your gun, you can cross your arms having one hand under the open shirt on the gun, again, no one knows but you.

But if you carry on your strong side, you put your hand on the gun, it looks like you have your hand on the gun.

A shoulder holster would work similar to the cross draw carry.

Another option, weather permitting, is hoodies with large pockets in front. Having your hand in the pocket looks threatening to everyone.

Regardless choose a method of carry that allows you to be ready instantly for threat, of a non-threat.

There is no reason you can't be ready to draw and fire at normal SD range (<9 feet) hitting your target in less then .5 sec, without telegraphing a threat.

Concealed carry means concealed, whether you are prepared for a threat or not.

You've heard of the eye of the tiger. That's been used for centuries.

You take any predator, and watch, those things are just about always on. Prairie dogs never relax, and a hungry coyote never does anything but slink around looking guilty. Even a lion slips up through the grass on it's belly, and any soldier who walks into an unknown situation strutting along with his phone in his face and his rifle slung will get a brutal butt kicking from his superiors.

I've said before, the way people drive is a solid indication of just how stupid we have become as a society, and it's a good indication as to how badly the average person will handle a life and death criminal situation. If you can't even see a stop sign, what is going to happen when the thug on the corner decides to snatch your phone?

A lot of this applies to things I learned in college as well. For example, the prof would say "i want a three page single spaced paper" and I made a practice of deciding on the subject within three minutes. It didn't matter if it was exactly what I wanted to do. I wasn't choosing a wife, a job, a car, even what kind of salad dressing I wanted. I was picking among the various not so great options. I got it over and got it started, and didn't wait until 24 hours before it was due to even decide what I wanted to write about. Some of the people I saw in my classes probably took longer to decide what they "wanted" to write about than I did writing the darned things.

Another was a spanish teacher. He quoted rush. "if you choose not to decide, that's still a choice." He was saying, "either get off of your rears and work, or it's obvious, you've decided that classes don't matter. Nothing really matters. If you can't be bothered to do some studying and you spend your time on Pizza, beer and reruns, just get out of my class and stop wasting my time!"

Proactive is the sort of decision a person must make. proactive decisions.not reactions, reactions are slow, and never based on up to date or detailed information. Reactions are what you do when it's too late to think. You have a threat shoved in your face, and gee, you're already maybe even five minutes behind what the other guy has been thinking. He already has a plan and You will never, ever catch up to his level of readiness.

Damn, I just get so worked up about it. People living in a fool's paradise, expecting that some benevolent universe is going to protect them from harm. The benevolent universe won't even protect them from getting sunburned, and by all that's good and holy, unlike the human race, the universe won't give half a cracker if their skin turns red and starts to peel. It isn't going to apologize or say "oh, pobre cita, that was so mean for the sun to do that",. the universe is going to go right on rolling on as the poor abused dork rubs the lotion on the skin. It's not even going to listen.

Don't get your training or ideas from Youtube videos. The guys showing how fast they can do whatever are not being shot at or otherwise accosted/pestered.
"...a watermelon in the other..." That guy is armed. Even a Golden Midget weighs 3 pounds. A Sweet Beauty can go 6 pounds and a Sugar Baby runs 10. Those football shaped melons can run 15 pounds. It's all about how much you value the thing. You gonna drop it or throw it, then draw?
Prairie dogs never relax because every other beastie on the prairie wants to eat 'em. snicker.
"...cross draw..." Made for those who are more ample across the front and sitting in a car. Also depends on the type of cross draw. The CAS kind only works well when playing that game. Butt forward just forward of one's arm in a pancake works though. Puts the grip in a really easily accessible spot. Even on the most ample front.

going along with those thoughts, if I have things to carry, it all goes into the left hand.It doesn't matter if I have thirty pounds of groceries and I am listing like a truck with two flat tires, I keep my right hand empty. Nothing more than keys, or something that I can drop without consequence are on my gun side.

I know that it's just instinctive for most people to walk around carrying their their goods with their right hand, but that's wrong. Having a briefcase in your gun hand means that you can't use your gun hand for your gun.

Been carrying for almost 15 years now. Used to imagine having time to clear leather as if sitting in a restaurant or in the back of a C-store when a bad guy comes in. Now I imagine most likely getting jumped from behind with the bad guy wrapping his arms around, pinning my arms to my sides. Eventually taking me down, discovering I'm armed, which will really piss him off enough to shoot me with my own pistol.
Best to be vigilant and avoid high risk situations. I think it would be best to keep fit and learn some hand to hand stuff along with being armed. I'll still carry my pistol. Would suck to be in a C-store or Micky D's someday if a psycho came in and started randomly shooting people. I actually renewed my carry permit last time more in mind of shooting a dog if it were to attack me as I was out for a bike ride.

running around like a coiled spring waiting on half a dozen secret ninjas to leap from the bushes, is just no way to live life. I am not going to carry out my life like a spec op mission. Might someone attack me?.. sure. I will do my part my paying attention , using a little common sense and having at realistic ability( through training) to put up a meaningful defense, but that's it.

Nobody wants to be slower but if you are not conflicted with what you are actually willing to do to defend yourself, if you have trained and if you have a little personal grit.. I don't think it much matters if you draw at .5 or 1.5. I am not inclined to believe that speed of draw is going to end up determining the victor in many conflicts.

In most instance where a citizen uses a firearm in self defense.. violence was already occurring and weapons were already displayed. Bad guys gun is out, good guys gun is out... bad things are happening and the good guy steps in. Draw speed is a mute point. I am not suggesting that a person get slower but if you train, are reasonably fluid and believe in an economy of movement.. I don't think .5 or even 1 whole seconds difference is going to make a hill of beans. What does draw speed matter if people shoot half a dozen times and don't even hit anything.. gunfights are a mess and its been a really long time since men called one another into the street and yelled DRAW.

I think that a hyper focus on draw speed is silly.. but that is just me. Being a good defender is about alot more than draw speed.

Must you exaggerate and throw out a straw man statement? Do you think that police officers all around the nation spend their lives on high alert?

Learning how to defend oneself and others during a crisis, and learning how to recognize the signs of upcoming danger aren't extreme measures, and going through life mentality examining your situation and surroundings doesn't constitute paranoia or create a mental burden.

Don't most people get into vehicular accidents because of complacency? Is it too much to expect that people shut up, put down the newspaper, and stop daydreaming while driving? If a person has a lethal weapon and intent to use it for self defense, is it too much to demand the same level of attention?

going along with those thoughts, if I have things to carry, it all goes into the left hand.It doesn't matter if I have thirty pounds of groceries and I am listing like a truck with two flat tires, I keep my right hand empty. Nothing more than keys, or something that I can drop without consequence are on my gun side.

I know that it's just instinctive for most people to walk around carrying their their goods with their right hand, but that's wrong. Having a briefcase in your gun hand means that you can't use your gun hand for your gun.

I can't think of anything short of a baby that I can't drop without consequence if I have to draw my gun. Keys, groceries, you name it, none of it matters and none of it can't be dropped immediately if I'm under attack. Sure it's nice to have your gun hand free, but I've seen people trying so hard to juggle multiple things with one hand that they're actually distracted by it.

Must you exaggerate and throw out a straw man statement? Do you think that police officers all around the nation spend their lives on high alert?

Learning how to defend oneself and others during a crisis, and learning how to recognize the signs of upcoming danger aren't extreme measures, and going through life mentality examining your situation and surroundings doesn't constitute paranoia or create a mental burden.

Don't most people get into vehicular accidents because of complacency? Is it too much to expect that people shut up, put down the newspaper, and stop daydreaming while driving? If a person has a lethal weapon and intent to use it for self defense, is it too much to demand the same level of attention?

I get it Brother... you are seemingly one of those guys who gets all jazzed up over the drama of tactical seating and that's just fine. I will sit where it offers the most pleasant atmosphere. It doesn't mean that I am not paying attention.

I don't think it much matters if you draw at .5 or 1.5. I am not inclined to believe that speed of draw is going to end up determining the victor in many conflicts.
In interval between .5 and 1.5 seconds, an attacker can cover fifteen feet. I suggest that that could turn out to be very determinative indeed.

In most instance where a citizen uses a firearm in self defense.. violence was already occurring and weapons were already displayed. Bad guys gun is out, good guys gun is out... bad things are happening and the good guy steps in.
Your basis for that?

Draw speed is a mute point.
Hmmm.

Being a good defender is about alot more than draw speed.
Of course!

Ugh
Square stance to target.Pistol or rifle being manipulated like a robot.
Exaggerated,look left look right.
I think I should turn in my weapons.

In interval between .5 and 1.5 seconds, an attacker can dover fortune feet. I suggest that that could turn out to be very determinative indeed.

not every circumstance is a charging bull.

When I say I don't think it much matters, I am speaking generally within the context of what is accepted as common, average, routinely reported circumstances involving lawful use of a firearm. Within that context, I don't think absolute draw speed is all that critical vs other more pressing attributes. I think a person should not be bumbling and should not waste movement by over articulating the draw stroke but that's about as much as I am inclined to consider regarding "draw".

Not all criminal attacks will fall within what is considered to be "average" circumstances. That said, I believe that Socratic reasoning would favor the common vs the fringe. I offer only cursory 85/15 consideration toward those things that I consider unlikely.

Your basis for that?

I am not making a absolute proclamation about the entire planet.. just an estimation based on what I have had the occasion to experience in my very small corner of it.

Draw speed is a mute point

come on now, I didn't make that statement broadly.. I made it narrowly. I stand buy what I said within the context that I prefaced.

Last edited:
not every circumstance is a charging bull.
Anyone using a contact weapon will have to close the distance in order to use it, and any defender will have to prevent that.

If the attacker is about to shoot a gun, and if deadly force is the only method of defense, the defender will have to shoot and hit first.

Either circumstance requires timely recognition and a very fast response.

Bad guys gun is out, good guys gun is out... bad things are happening and the good guy steps in. Draw speed is a mute point
If the "good guy's gun is out", the draw has already occurred. We cannot comment on the speed.

Back