Real names vs. "Handles"

Mac Scott

I have a question. Not a problem, necessarily, but a question nevertheless.

By far the largest number of people corresponding through the forums of thefiringline.com are using handles or nicknames. A very, very small minority use their real names. I'm one of those.

I'm curious as to why this is. First, however, please don't misunderstand -- this is not in the form of a "flame," nor is it in any way meant to be derogatory. I just find it a bit strange to be dealing with many people, on a myriad of often critical or technical subjects, without having much of an idea of whom I'm really dealing with.

I spent a bunch of years "hanging out" on the CompuServe Firearms Forum, where nicknames were specifically forbidden. You always knew exactly to whom you were speaking, and vice versa. I suppose I grew used to this, it having been my norm for some ten years, and now find it a bit weird talking to "Bluejay" and "Magpie" rather than Bob Jones or Margaret Smith.
smile.gif

It's our strict policy through our website, where we deal with hundreds of people each month, to only provide answers to questions posed there by people using their names, not handles. I've always figured if I'm going to take the time to try and explain to someone how to fix something or correct a firearms problem they're experiencing, it's not unreasonable to want to know exactly to whom I'm speaking. After all, they have no doubt whatsoever as to my true identity.

So, in a nutshell, I'd be curious to hear responses on this subject. Am I just being weird and combative, or do I have a point? And, if I do, do you think wearing a hat will cover it?
wink.gif

Regards,

----Mac Scott

Well Mac,
I was out in IRC chat rooms long before comming to a forum, and one thing I learned there is never give out your name. I apply that to all aspects of publicly accessed internet. I just dont want my name posted for the world to see. If I want someone to know my name I'll tell them, otherwise the whole world knows me as ShadedDude =)

just my $.02

Mac, first off, Mykl is my real-world name.

I had occasionally posted to the usenet group rec.guns, only to be inundated with floods of spam within 24 hours after the post. As a result, I quit posting and only responded to the occasional post via email.
That is why my email address was hidden in my profile when I initally logged into this forum, but has since been displayed.

I suspect many folks use handles just because they like to customize aspects of their persona and normally use one that they identify with in some manner, e.g the CB handles of 20-years ago (does anyone still use CB?).

Moreover, folks like the sense of privacy and the feeling of anonymity. Unfortunately, anonymity also tends to embolden undesirable social behavior that would otherwise be repressed by self-restraint (we have overflowing public institutions for folks that don't seem to have or effect this quality).

Take road-rage and aggressive driving for instance. If you knew the person in the offending vehicle you'd be less apt to be reactionary. I've personally experienced that situation here in your nation's capitol, and stopped just short of some impatient reaction when I realized the doofus in front was my neighbor. Not such a problem in more rural areas, where one tends not to see "just a vehicle," but looks at the people inside (not practical in cities).

Crank telephone calls used to be a problem, until the *69 and Caller ID functions were established which resulted in a loss of the would-be caller's anonymity. Unfortunately, marketers still use computers to call blocks of numbers. But hey, that may be the only silver lining in the Y2K situation!

The positive aspect of anonymity which I've observed here in this forum, is social leveling. There's no pecking order. Many folks would be outright intimidated to walk up to recognized experts in their field and just start asking questions about what ever came to mind. Here that isn't the case. It can become an intellectual exchange that is colored(?) only by personality and experience. This is what makes the Net such a dynamic place. We can step outside of our social prejudices, perspectives, and situations and simply be a component in an enlighting and entertaining exchange of cerebration.

Viva le nom de plume!

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 10-24-98).]

Mac:
Compuserve had thousands of subscribers, the forums were rather limited and controlled. Everybody knew everbody else, much like a small town. To buy a computer, sign up for their service and then to join the forums was a pretty much dedicated proposition. The internet has millions of participants, many transient, you buy a PC on sale, get 100 free hours of on-line time and go about your merry way. That alone brings many, that would otherwise not be here. If i visit your website and ask you a question, I don't mind you're wanting to know who I am. I believe that is your right as a business. OTOH,many who visit a forum or usenet, may feel uncomfortable these days saying " Look at all the neat stuff I have, here is my name, I'm in the phone book so feel free to drop by and make what's mine yours". I don't take your question as a flame, or find it combative in any way. Times have changed and so has the audience.

When I was on CompuServe, I too used my real name, and did not regret doing so.

Here on the net I have been a bit more reluctant to do so because of my work in law enforcement. (I always make it clear that I am here as a private citizen as opposed to a representative of my agency.)

Those I have become friendly with through the forums know my first and last names and many know where I live, so it's not paranoia, just a small step toward preserving a modicum of anonymity/privacy, and a bit of a filtering process.

By and large, however, I have found the online community as a whole to be very positive.

Blues

Mac-
This was a sticky issue for us in setting up the site. Even though a return email address is required, many people are now turning to virtually anonymous HotMail and Yahoo email addresses.

In the end, we decided to allow the "handles" given the number of military and LE personnel that might be a bit uncomfortable using their real names. Along with that, we have to allow the same privacy to individual citizens.

While, I'd prefer first names, at least, and try to set the example by offering my own, I can tell you that you'll quickly get to know who people are in a community like this. Emails start to flow back between friends and the like.

That said, we have set out some pretty stringent rules for posting and are as vigilant as possible in monitoring the posts (I know, I've been chained to the terminal for 2 weeks now!).

Regards to all,
Jim Smith, uh, er
Rich Lucibella

My thanks to all who responded to my post. Appreciate the insight offered, and am more than a little impressed by the articulate views expressed.

I'm still not sure if I'll ever be 100% comfortable and completely open in any dealings I might have with a person who knows who I am, but I have absolutely no real idea who he is. Then again, now that I think about it, I'm not 100% comfortable in speaking with a whole bunch of people I already know.
wink.gif

Longhair, would appreciate a private email from you when you get the chance. Thanks, and thanks again to all....you've settled a mystery or two for me.

----Mac

Howdy Mac,

I moderate the Cowboy Action Shooting forum. Most CAS shooters are better known by their aliases than by their real names. In fact,I only know a lot of shooters by their aliases. So,in my forum,at least,it's more familiar to use a handle.

Bellicose Bill
smile.gif

I do not like the use of handles. In the early days of CB radio, everyone used their own names. I used my initals because my first name was already in use. If others would use their name, I would too. GLV

For me it's just pure laziness here. Lots easier to do HS than Gordon
smile.gif
But in fairness I did post my name on my home page.

Mac - if I had a gun related business I would use my real name too in an effort to generate business. Not a flame here, just a reality.

Its a choice.Either way is OK with me.
As far as I know I have always been Ed Brunner.
I have "met" a number of "handle-posters" and now that I know their names I still think of them by their forum names.
Its still a toss-up.

When posting to the various forums, I try to always sign my handle AND my real name. My handle was a nickname given to me by a co-worker. I have a penchant for expressing my opinions (or should I say facts - since I'm always right
wink.gif
) on political matters. When I joined my first forum, it just seemed like a perfect fit. I also understand anybody's desire to maintain their anonymity in this day and age.

Most people I "talk to" on BladeChat know me as Senator, but I'd guess that most of them also know my real name. There are very few people in the chat room that I only know by their handle.

"Senator"
Kelly Yates

[This message has been edited by Senator (edited 10-28-98).]

I've got to agree with ShadedDude. I'll be glad to tell someone I'm dealing with my name. If I send someone an e-mail one of the first things I do is to introduce myself.

I agree with SD and Mykl. I use my first name, most of the time on the internet, it is relatively anonymous. But I still have several "nicknames" floating around out there. I've been online since the days of a 300 Baud Modem and a BBS. Very few times in the last 15 years have I given out my full name, one time that I did, I regretted it.

Oh yeah, Longhair, add one more traveler to the list....

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 10-27-98).]

Matt...I use my first name and my state of residence. I found that identifying my location cleared up a lot of questions when talking about gun laws, and regional issues. I chose not to use my last name for privacy reasons. There is just too much that people can find out about you these days for me to make it any easier for them. When I write to someone from a board I use my real name and alias to let them know who it is. I also generally post a "generic" email address on public forums. I will answer and send them my personal address after they respond. I feel much more comfortable keeping as little info as possable off of the net. The last thing I need is someone assuming my identity and causing me problems. It may sound far fetched but I know someone who had that happen, though not with info off of the internet, and they ended up having a large business loan taken out in their name. Chris

I have no problem telling anyone my real name. I just have a problem telling EVERYONE my name. Who knows who lurks around these pages? I would rather not find out.

If you really want to know who I am... Just email me.
I am just not wanting to broadcast it.

I think most people here are on the same wavelength on that point.

I must admit that some Handles are kinda cool and make me laugh.

I saw an email from someone today and his "sender" entry was:
Ragnar (no, not THE Ragnar)

long, but humorous, especially given that he is was posting to Rec.Guns

My wife uses "Ishoot" as her handle, (which might cause concern for her ISP now that I think about it.(Ishoot@******)

As far as business goes, I use my company's name as a handle where I think it would benefit, nothing wrong with that.

Back