Ready to upgrade my 1911 . . .

Send it back to Rock Island. They will make it right.
He could try that, and maybe after three trips back and forth, RIA would get it running. :rolleyes:

But then again, in 1911-Landia you gets what you pays for, and as provably shown here, $399 ain't bought ya much except problems.
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
RIA = 3rd world junk
For the amount of money you want to spend, try for a Colt or Dan Wesson. SIG may also be good, but I have not read much about them. There are lots of good deals on GB, Armslist, etc.
Pretty much what I've seen from the RIAs that show up at our local range, although one clear exception was a guy shooting the double-stack (14-rds?) 10mm model. That one seem to run fine. Still, when a dude's RIA starts hiccupping, he's sure to get dogged by our range's resident Colt hotshots. :eek: Hardcore 1911 dudes, those guys.

Yeah, so the OP has $399 into his RIA, and is now looking to drop another $800. :rolleyes:

Math so simple even a highly paid PhD can get it: $1200 well-spent from the git-go would've gained him a MUCH BETTER .45 roscoe than the Filipino-made junk.

Last edited:
Follow up to OP.

Thanks to all for all the great advice and thoughts.

This afternoon I thoroughly cleaned my Rock ISLAND 1911 45. Then I tested the last shot lock back and on four of my five mags it worked just fine, but the fifth did not. Closer inspection of that mag revealed a broken follower. This particular mag is a Wilson Combat. I imagine it's rare to have a broken follower on that kind of high quality mag. It may not be Wilson Combat's fault. That may have been the mag that was in the gun when I had the case rupture. Anyway I imagine I can find a replacement follower at Wilson Combat or Numrich.

So, I'm thinking I'll hang on to this one for now. May talk to Rock Island about the trigger.

Life is good.
Prof You

This afternoon I thoroughly cleaned my Rock ISLAND 1911 45. Then I tested the last shot lock back and on four of my five mags it worked just fine, but the fifth did not. Closer inspection of that mag revealed a broken follower. This particular mag is a Wilson Combat. I imagine it's rare to have a broken follower on that kind of high quality mag. It may not be Wilson Combat's fault. That may have been the mag that was in the gun when I had the case rupture. Anyway I imagine I can find a replacement follower at Wilson Combat or Numrich.

So, I'm thinking I'll hang on to this one for now. May talk to Rock Island about the trigger.

Life is good.
Prof You

If the Wilson follower broke try calling them. They may be able to help you out (they’re pretty good about standing behind their products).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springfield Armory Ronin.

I’m really a Colt guy but, I bought a Springfield Armory EMP 4 in 9mm.

Really impressed with it.

Life is good.
Prof You
I may be wrong, but I don't think the magazine follower and the issue with the slide stop locking back has anything to do with the weapon firing out of battery. The sear disconnector is responsible for preventing an out-of-battery discharge. See diagrams here:
https://www.m1911.org/1911desc.htm

Now that ruptured case might not have been an out-of-battery discharge but if you are having that problem, I don't see how the broken follower failing to hold the slide stop back after the last round is fired could affect the disconnector.

FYI: I have put about 10,000 rounds through my SA Loaded an never detail stripped it and it has never fired out of battery. I doubt cleaning the gun will fix your possible OOB firing issue, if you do have one.

PS: I also highly recommend the SA Loaded. The only thing I will change on mine is getting the front-strap checkered. That will be a $300 job.

Buy a Colt 1911 Classic and be done with it, it has a match barrel and got rave reviews from Ken Hackathorn. The Colt Classics are very well fitted and have the Series 70 Series firing pin system and rollmarks. A great base pistol for future customization as well.

Thanks but . . .

Aguila Blanca: Thanks for the link but I think you over estimate my gun smithing abilities.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Prf Young said:
Aguila Blanca: Thanks for the link but I think you over estimate my gun smithing abilities.
Au contraire. You underestimate them.

I submit as proof the fact that I can perform a "poor man's trigger job" on a 1911. If I can do it -- you can do it. It's not rocket surgery.

JB in SC said:
Buy a Colt 1911 Classic and be done with it, it has a match barrel and got rave reviews from Ken Hackathorn. The Colt Classics are very well fitted and have the Series 70 Series firing pin system and rollmarks. A great base pistol for future customization as well.

I'm a trigger snob and having a Series 70 instead of the 80 is reason enough for me to consider a Colt alone.

I have 2 1911 .45ACP SA Ronins, 4.25'" and 5". Great 1911s. I also of a RIA 1911 in .45ACP another good gun for the money, not high end by any means, but it goes bang every time and makes a good truck gun.

A few months ago I decided I wanted a 1911 45. I have a bucket of S&W revolvers, mostly N frames and long barrels. I wanted a Social Engineering tool, all my stuff long barrel adj sight models. I was in the gun business for years. I was also in military and carried a 1911. It never failed to go bang, in climate it rust overnight. Don’t give me these stories of the cheap clones are just as good as a Colt. Long story short I ended up with 4 series 70 MK 4 Colts and 2 Springfields, both stainless. The Springfields were Mil-Spec & stainless. A few hundred rounds later I have nothing bad to say about the Springfields. One of the Colts was Satin Nickel. It and the 2 Springfields had to go, only because they weren’t blue. So in the midst of the trades I ended up with 2 standard Series 70/ MK 4s blue and 2 Colt Commanders from 1970s. All I started after was one, now I don’t know which to keep. One of the Commanders has extensive custom work done back in 70s. Milled for BoMar sighs, extensive checkering and after market trigger. Gun is near mint in original box. I’m leaning towards making it my keeper but it kinda defeats purpose with the big sights. Long story short look for a pre 80 Colt and you can’t go wrong.

Final thoughts . . . .

I really appreciate all the info, thoughts and comments. Gotta love the gang at TFL!

Was at a gun show this afternoon (look for thread in "general discussion") and on the way home figured out a way I could afford to buy a really good 1911 45. Something in the $1500 range. It will take a while, but all this has caused me to realize I will always want a 1911 45 in the safe as a range gun, and my tendency lately has been to have fewer guns but of a better quality so . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

Hoo-boy. Did I just read that right? You have $1500 for a budget?

You just opened the floodgates of opportunities for a really nice 1911 variant, then...

Good luck on your 1911 journey. Once you get a taste for the better models, it's hard to be satisfied with less.

However, I encourage you to handle your RIA 1911 issues before long. Even with a nice Dan Wesson or SA TRP in your stable, it's always nice to have a backup. And it's never nice to think that one of your guns might blowup or malfunction, no matter the circumstances. RIA does have a good reputation for customer service.

Even if you sell it, you can do so with a clear conscience.

Back