Ready to upgrade my 1911 . . .

Prof Young

Shooters:
I have a Rock River 1911 45 auto. It's an okay gun but occasionally goes off with a very light trigger pull, won't lock open on last shot if it gets more than mildly dirty and I think I had an out of battery discharge once scaring the crap out of me and blowing the wall out of the brass back by the head. (See post some time ago . . . that I can't recall the name of) Anyway I'm ready to get a better 1911 45 auto and am starting to shop. I'd like to spend around $800 and I know there is a lot to choose from.

Talk to me.

Lifeisgood.
Prof Young

P.S. For out of battery discharge thread look for Overcharge! . . . . Yikes! in the reloading forum.

Last edited:
Rock River, or Rock Island Armory?

Rock River is a high-end 1911. It probably has a light trigger pull, because they assume their clients want a light trigger pull. That can be adjusted by simply bending a leaf on the sear spring.

Beyond that -- a 1911 should NOT be able to fire out of battery. There's a piece called the disconnector that's intended to prevent that from happening. If it did happen, it may be that something is out of adjustment or broken internally. If it is a Rock River pistol, I would not look for a "better" pistol -- I would take it to a competent 1911 pistolsmith and have it fixed. Have him set the trigger for 4-1/2 to 5 pounds.

Ooops . . . .

Agulia Blanca:
You are correct. It's a Rock Island. You'd think I'd know my own guns a little better. They don't call us "absent minded professors" for no reason. As I recall I only paid $399 for it new.

Maybe I should investigate getting a Rock River.

Life is good.

Prof Young

-- a 1911 should NOT be able to fire out of battery.

Of course it should not...

and, mechanically, it will not, unless something is broken in just the "right" way for things to go wrong. And when this is the case, its normally not a matter of it just doing it once...

However, there is another way the gun can fire before full lock up, and that is defective ammunition. A high primer (and/or too sensitive) can detonate from the shock of the slide hitting it, or go off as the slide seats it during the final movement before full lock up.

Another possibility is a defective case in the usual 1911A1 chamber that isn't fully supported. A bad case might blow out at that point where a normal one does not.

If you want another .45, get one. Can't speak to the prices, today they are just nuts (and waaay high)
I prefer actual Colts or GI 1911A1s, but today you can get guns with all the bells and whistles and race gun features if you want one.

My son got a S&W 1911 (PD? maybe, I forget the proper designation) I had it for a couple years while he did a tour in Korea. Really good gun, but wouldn't take the standard grips (on purpose, no doubt) because the screw spacing was off just enough to prevent it.
Everybody and their Uncle Max has been making their version of the 1911A1 design for several decades now. Some are really good, some, not so much.

I've got my father's Colt Govt Model, which was set up with Micro sights and a sweet trigger pull in the late 1960s. My dad got it (used) in the early 70s. Other than finish damage due to neglect during my dads final years, its still mechanically flawless shoots one hole 25yd groups off the bench with target ammo, and I shoot it, often on Father's day, for as long as I can keep the tears from my eyes...

I purchased a Colt Competition Pistol a few years ago. I really like the gun and it has some decent upgrades over what might be called a "GI" model without being too expensive. At the time it was in the $900 range but as mentioned who knows right now.

Last edited:
RIA has excellent CS, contact them. I was having problems with the.22TCM barrel in mine, I contacted them and they emailed me a return ticket with a shipping label. Sent it in and received the gun back in a week and a half and they replaced the defective barrel and tuned the gun. It’s been perfect ever since. I wasn’t even the original purchaser but that didn’t matter.

My only 1911 is a Springfield Armory Loaded model. I have been extremely happy with it. It should be available in your stated price range. There are other models of 1911s from Springfield that are available for less. You might want to check them out.

I have three 1911's. A Colt, a Kimber, and my least expensive, a Springfield.

The Springfield is a "mil-spec," I think it's called. Anyway, it's their bottom of the line model. I don't remember what I paid for it (2017-ish), but I think it would come in under your $800. It's thereabouts.

That Springfield is and EXCELLENT firearm. I absolutely love it. It is my nightstand gun (and I have way more handguns than I have fingers n toes). Yes, it has fixed sights - that are dead-on. Yes, it has a short "combat trigger," which I much prefer over fancy schmancy target triggers (small hands). The trigger is light, crisp, and predictable. And yes, its cycling reliability is outstanding.

I have kept it "out of the box stock" because there is some potential that I may have to use it in a self-defense situation. But even if that wasn't the case, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do anything to it. It's great just as it is. Had I bought the Springfield before the Kimber, I'd have two Springfields right now.

I'm an admitted Springfield fanboi. It came from years of experience with their products and their customer service, not from having one of their firearms with a grand total of 50 rounds. For your budget, that's where I would look. My next 1911 is likely their Ronin. I'm not a fan of stainless. However, I love the look of it, and the price point for the features you get is outstanding. What's even better is choice of cartridge. Straight across the board the MSRP is $849. That means, in theory, most gun shops should be selling them for around $800. Their customer service is second to none.

Next up is the Ruger SR1911. I absolutely LOVE mine. Not sure where they are on pricing these days. I bought mine about a year or so after they came out for $650. It's loaded with features, as well.

There are other brands/models that are in my stable. Doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend them. It's just that they're out of your proposed budget.

RIA = 3rd world junk

For the amount of money you want to spend, try for a Colt or Dan Wesson. SIG may also be good, but I have not read much about them. There are lots of good deals on GB, Armslist, etc.

RIA = 3rd world junk

For the amount of money you want to spend, try for a Colt or Dan Wesson. SIG may also be good, but I have not read much about them. There are lots of good deals on GB, Armslist, etc.
Posting: "RIA = 3rd world junk" is just expressing a platitude.

What specific process, steel, etc. makes them junk? Voids in the casting? Impurity in the steel they use? Faulty heat treating? Chatter marks in the machining?

Those of us with a metallurgy, manufacturing, machining background would like to know.

Also, what credentials do you have in the above skills?

I’m a firm believer in making a manufacturer stand behind a product. If it has a warranty I make the effort to get the manufacturer to take it in and fix it. I’ve had to do this with companies with products costing more than RIA and companies that are part of the “first world” of America (sadly I’ve had more issues with QC from American companies than elsewhere). I would see if RIA can fix it.

That said, if you are looking for an alternative in the $800 range, I think the Springfield Armory Range Officer and Loaded are good options. I had good luck with a Range Officer overall and my friend recently bought a new one and it’s been solid so far. Weirdly Springfield seems to have chosen to discontinue the Range Officer according to their website, but there are still a number in circulation at distributors and stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been very impressed by my brother's Ruger SR1911, granted that it is a Limited Edition model so the fit and finish may be higher than a standard SR1911, but still, it's an extremely nice 1911, so if I were going to get a new 1911, then I'd most likely go with a Ruger.

attachment.php

However, I'm not really interested in a high-end 1911 since I already have a high end .45 ACP pistol in the H&K USP45 Elite.

IF I were buying another 1911, I would be looking at RUGER and Colt. Second, would be a Remington R1. Springfield is worth a look. The RUGER, Remington or Springfield should be on your price range.

I have had 2 Auto Ordinance. Mil-Spec, totally reliable, accurate, will feed any bullet type.

One AO is my EDC. Traded the other, only because the man wanted it made me an offer so over the top in my favor, I couldn't refuse.

A good friend has a RUGER, I have shot and it is a great gun.
B-i-L has a Remington, I have shot and it is a great gun.
Ex-S-i-L has a Springfield, I have shot. The only problem was it wouldn't feed. 200gr lead semi-wad cutters. Powder coated or jacketed were fine.

I have had a lot of great luck with Fusion Firearms, now in Venice, Florida. All of my aftermarket parts aside from grip panels are Fusion parts. I changed my Kimber from the stock commander skeleton hammer and beavertail safety to the GI setup with the duckbill safety and the wide spur hammer. Just unmatched quality, I find.

Have one of their threaded barrels, link and pin, trigger set, grip safety, hammer, and internals and mainspring housing. I also got their extended slide release. I love not having to switch my firing grip just to let slide down.

Thinking of getting their bobbed hammer for my carry 1911, and the matching bobbed grip safety. Check them out for upgrades at affordable deals.

Shooters:
I have a Rock River 1911 45 auto. It's an okay gun but occasionally goes off with a very light trigger pull, won't lock open on last shot if it gets more than mildly dirty and I think I had an out of battery discharge once scaring the crap out of me and blowing the wall out of the brass back by the head. (See post some time ago . . . that I can't recall the name of) Anyway I'm ready to get a better 1911 45 auto and am starting to shop. I'd like to spend around $800 and I know there is a lot to choose from.

Talk to me.

Lifeisgood.
Prof Young

P.S. For out of battery discharge thread look for Overcharge! . . . . Yikes! in the reloading forum.
RE: not locking back. Does that happen with more than one magazine? Not locking back is usually an easy fix.

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
RIA = 3rd world junk

I don't own a RIA 1911, but I've owned an STI Spartan for a number of years. Amrscor makes the RIA and it made the STI Spartan, using STI's trigger system, before STI (now Stacatto) dropped it from their line. Frames are cast and slides are made from forged 4140 steel. Mine is in 9mm and I've had no problems with it.

Is it as good as a Dan Wesson? No. Good as a Colt? No. Good as a Sig? No, it's better. I own one or more 1911 from each manufacturer. Just my opinion.

The guns in Springfield's Range Officer line are very good values.
I had the 5", adjustable-sight .45, and was impressed.

Back