Ready to hunt exotics?

Sure, fire ants and killer bees and armadillos came into the US from Mexico and are problematic.

But Elephants! Wouldn't you love to see wild elephants roaming around the great plains? Giraffes and wild elephants roaming around would be something to see!

Zoos have saved a few species from extinction, but after one generation in captivity they lose all their wildness. In contrast, the high fence game ranches preserve both the animal and its wildness.

FACTS: 15,000 axis deer roam Texas. Almost as many found in their native habitat of Ceylon and Nepal. Addax and symitar horned oryx are nearly extinct in their native lands of North Africa. Yet thriving at Texas game ranches. Pere David deer and Eld's deer are extinct in their native lands, yet thriving on American game ranches.

No animal rights activists are involved with saving these animals. No sir. These animals are thriving because ranchers imported them for paying sportsman to hunt. Profit is elusive for the first several years for these ranchers but eventually their herds become large enough for hunting.

Thank you to all exotic ranchers!
Jack :)

Exotic Species

I was googling "Axis Deer" yesterday and ran into a site that said there are over 37,000 in "Texas" with some running free on state lands. I think they are a warmer weather species so I don't expect we'll ever see them in the central and northern states but they could eventually spread to the southern tier. Of course even if there are a thousand or so on open range it will tale a "long" time for them to appear in hunting quantities.

I wonder if the Antelopes, Sable, Kudu, Ibex, Thompsons etc will find their way into the open range too.

The snake thing I mentioned as a joke..... I think about Cottonmouths and how much people don't like them (for good reason, I might add) and would hence think that exotic poisonous repiles would be a true no no.
Uh, not as crazy as you might think. Truth is, Florida is loaded with exotic snake collectors, and snakes are escape artists. There really are cobras (and others) slithering around S. Florida, and there's real concern that there's enough of them to establish breeding populations. Conditions are perfect for it.

Butch50
Sure, fire ants and killer bees and armadillos came into the US from Mexico and are problematic.
But Elephants! Wouldn't you love to see wild elephants roaming around the great plains? Giraffes and wild elephants roaming around would be something to see!
I have to admit this does have great appeal. It is tempered some by the experiences of African farmers etc with animals like elephants. Along the same lines as Wolves to ranchers here.

So I could suggest that it would be a great idea, as long as they were not given blanket protection and that people could protect themselves and their property from them.
-----------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

What do you do with cheetah, elephant, giraffe, hippo meat after you kill it? Is it good to eat? What about the elephant tusks? They are not legal in this country so what if you want a trophy mounted on the wall? I think it would look pretty gay if it had the tusks cut off in Africa. If it was a legal game animal with tags and all it should be allowed.

(Canadians, meanwhile are fairly calm about having about 100x that number in their country ).

ah we're fairly calm about a lot of things. pretty uptight about gun ownership (well the tree hugging bunny loving part of the population which mostly resides in ontario and has all the votes is anyway).

Back