Ready For 3 Gun? Gear Wise?

Tucker 1371

Hey y'all, I've been really getting interested in doing some 3 Gun matches lately, I think I've got a decent first setup to get started in Practical/Tactical Optics division. The rifle is a home build, palmetto upper, Anderson lower, CMC trigger with a 4x32 ACOG and offset MBUS. Pistol is a CZ SP01 9mm with a safety (no decocker). Shotgun is a Keltec KSG.

The belt is a little bulky but it's a carry over from the stuff I have for drill or if I ever get deployed again, also waiting on a holster for the CZ. The belt (Stormrider Overlord) has been an absolutely outstanding piece of field gear so I hope some of that carries over to competition.

I know the KSG might hold me up a little but I don't have the $$ right now to drop on a good conventional semi. Not too concerned that it is a pump but reloading is awkward and putting one directly in the pipe is impossible. Also I've heard a box magazine fed shotgun automatically bumps you into the Unlimited division, true or not?

Also, is a BAD lever a modification that will get you bumped to Unlimited? And what about a pistol mounted flashlight? What about the CMC trigger on my rifle?

I've never done any competing as far as shooting goes but I've been youtubing some 3 gun lately and it just looks too darn fun just to watch other people do it. I'm really mostly interested in 3 Gun for the training, practice, and fun. That's not to say I'm going to go out there and loaf around but I want to have fun and improve more than anything, and not fight with my gear.

Download a copy of the rules and all will be revealed.
And you'll definitely need a caddy.
Maybe a little red wagon, too.
And a day off from work to clean everything after a match.
Above all, enjoy, learn, leave your ego behind and be safe.
Report back how it went.

Box fed shotguns are in open. The KSG will hold you back and as such, I would not suggest it. Check with the local MD and see if you can borrow one, or use a conventional pump. You will also need a method to carry 20-30 shotgun shells.

Lose the forward grip on the AR. BAD levers and triggers don't matter, however I would not suggest a BAD lever to anyone. Reloads on the AR are infrequent and the trigger in the guard during a reload is a risk not worth it.

I would strongly suggest you shoot a few IDPA or USPSA pistol matches first.

Tucker, Mack already said it, but if you have never shot any competition, at all, you need to start with a pistol, in fact just go to your nearest USPSA/IDPA and watch a match, check what the shooters are using and ask questions. It cost's nothing to watch.

This video is only for humor purposes, it is not intended to make fun of anyone, but it illustrates the misunderstandings of shooting competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2yraLcdcms

When I shot 3-gun, including USPSA Nationals, I stuck my rifle mags in my hip pocket, and wore my shotgun shells in a chest belt.
You don't need a lot of gear, but make sure you sort things out so that you are able to carry the necessary gear for any given stage, without, say, the pouch for rifle mags getting in the way of your pistol mags, etc.
I found myself configuring my belts and pouches individually for each stage, so I wouldn't carry anything unnecessarily, and everything was handy.

9x45... That was pretty funny.

Mark, I copy. Unfortunately the only other shotgun I have is a Mossberg 500 20ga youth pump. Used to have a 590A1 8 shot and now I'm kicking myself for selling it. I'll have to deal with the KSG for now. And I haven't picked up a shell holder for it yet.

The BAD lever is on the rifle because I'm a lefty with long guns, reloads without it require me to flip the rifle on its side or move my firing hand. Are you saying I could accidentally send the bolt home while reaching for a new magazine? I've run drills with it on there for around 1500 rounds and it hasn't been a problem.

Also, anyone here compete at Oak Ridge, TN?

*Edit- Also I see the majority of people using fixed stocks on their rifles, why is this?

Last edited:
I would run a 20g youth pump over a KSG...or load it up and run in Open.

I have seen too many fumbles that included NDs trying to lock the bolt back with BAD levers. You won't see top level shooters using them for that reason. We just don't do rifle reloads on the clock in 3Gun either...or if you do, your plan is tanked. Drills on the range and all that is great...stuff happens when the buzzer goes off that never does in drills.

I'd say a lot more people use adjustable stocks than fixed. The top shooters use fixed stock to maintain a consistent cheek weld, which is important. My berm match AR has an adjustable stock. They sometimes make you shoot upside down, sideways or in a harness...that helps. The natural terrain AR is set up for longer range and has a fixed stock.

Ahh, got it. I think I see what happened. The BAD lever, to me, doesn't make much sense for a right handed shooter anyway. Thank you.

Can I run a TLR1 on my CZ and stay in the Practical division? I was wanting it there to help mitigate muzzle flip, not that it's all that bad on my SP01 but I don't see how less flip or recoil could hurt. The rules don't say anything about lights, just sighting devices.

Got it. I'm not looking to go out and be some speed freak, "Raging 3 gunner" lol.
I just want to get some decent training in and have a good time with, mostly, what gear I have on hand. Thanks for the advice on the BAD lever Mark, definitely don't want to get DQ'd my first time out. I'd prefer to not place last but I'm just trying to get my feet wet for this first match.

Taran is pretty darn impressive to watch, those pistol mag changes are butter smooth. Thanks for the link 9x45!

Exactly. I shot most 3-gun matches with an M1 Carbine, a few with a Garand, but always with a pump 12ga and 1911.
The more fun you have, the more you'll want to do it.

Heavy Metal 3 gun requires 12 gage pump shotgun, .45acp hand gun and a .308 iron sighted rifle, it's a tough class to compete in.

Well I have all three (M1A Scout, Colt 1911, KSG) but not the money to spend on ammo on that class. It sounds cool though

Exactly. I shot most 3-gun matches with an M1 Carbine, a few with a Garand, but always with a pump 12ga and 1911.
The more fun you have, the more you'll want to do it.[/QUOTE

This sounds like it would be a blast, especially with a Winchester Model 1897 trench gun.

Last edited:
No, it would suck because running a shotgun is all about reloading..... And an M1 carbine doesn't have the range for most 3 gun rifle targets, typically 300-400 yards.

OP, you need to get to a match and see what the locals are running and how it works. Practice fast loading a shotgun and know you rifle long range and close range zero.

about 3 minutes into the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXslwiq9c8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j22CGzs5Vik

Last edited:
BZO'd my ACOG at 36yds, fine tuned it at 100, the ACOG reticle takes care of knowing my zero out to 800yds, I'm pretty good with a rifle on deliberate longer range shots. It's the speedy close in stuff I need work on.

I'm going to run my first match with my KSG. Yes, I realize there will be nothing quick about reloading a KSG, it's awkward when I'm not trying to go fast, so I'm not going to try to go fast, just load at my own pace.

I think if I do move to a semi auto it will be a Mossberg 930, maybe the JM Pro version, not crazy about a 22" bbl though.

Back