READ THIS ABOUT A GLOCK .40 BLOW-UP!

I own an HK USP 40c, and my standard issue duty weapon is a G23. I have been firing my Glock for over a year now, and with that, I gained substantial confidence with it. The fact that it doesn't shoot reloads, or doesn't have the supported chamber as my HK does, is almost meaningless to me. I have trashed Glock since day one, even since I have been shooting it. But since I became familiar with it, and I became able to 'effectively' engage my target, my trash talking has subsided. Factory ammo + proper training = effective weapon. Not the prettiest, but looks won't save my tail. I'm still partial to my HK, though. Enough said.

Semper Fi-
JJC

While Glocks generally "always work (factory ammo) in -40 below or in sand or mud they go bang " so do many others including the 1911, the S&W M27 and the Beretta 92

This is not correct at least not a -40. The Glock will work the beretta did not in extensive testing that was done up here in my own home turf of AK. The 1911 did and so did the Browning highpwer as well as the revovers tested but the beretta's and sigs did not work nor did any other auto's. Now in fairness the test was conducted by chuck taylor and he used remington gun oil in the test guns where I would have recommended using a drylube or no lube in the cold temps. I can speak from experence while beretta's are reliable they are not as good in harsh conditions as the glock. I live in a very harsh area Bethel ak. Right now its -20 with windchill being -40. We used to issue Beretta 92's and in winter quals they would not always work. Our new glock 21's have no such problem. I have had good luck with the beretta 92's I have owned as well as the sigs and HK's but overall I prefer my glocks. (31,20,21)
PAT

Kabooms

I have seen a STI 45 Kaboom recently and it was attributed to a double charge. If you reload for Glock 40 you should consider the following;
Reload to minor power factor only unless you have a fully
supported barrel.
Fully resize your brass
Use "slower burning powders"
Use "large volume powders" so double charges are easy to see
Replace your barrel with a fully supported aftermarket
barrel.
Use 180 gr bullets or less in glock barrel.
Clean your barrel meticulously if you shoot lead(better to
avoid it)like every 200 rds.
Use your brass in the glock barrels a max of 6 times if you
load hot loads.
Follow basic reloading safety: do not do so if tired,
distracted, drunk or under the influence of drugs.

So far this has worked for me and thought I'd share some of
my 2 cents. Shoot straight and safe...
TR

I've loaded a LOT of 40cal. The thing to remember is that the 40cal is riding the edge of the pressure limit for cartridge design, and that is why there is no '40cal +P'. Going over 35,000cup WILL generally result in a KB, simply because you have exceeded the limits of the design. Double charging with low-volume powders is the most obvious (and common) culprit. Lead buildup in the barrel is another. Just remember that most guys HATE admitting that they screwed up a load.....When in doubt, throw it out!!!

Reloading is a SCIENCE, and exactness in measure is critical. I never want to see 'Reloading for Dummies' published....

I have Glocks and 1911s, and we see both in our classes. I haven't seen a Glock KB, but have seen a 1911 KB, we suspect caused by a double or excess powder charge. It blew the stock grip panels off, and the mag bottom off. Interestingly, the mag had openings along its side that allowed the gasses to escape in that direction, blowing the grip panels off(the mag body stayed in the stock). We wondered if the magazine body had been solid sided, if most ( or more, anyway) of the explosion would have been directed downward through the bown floor plate. Little if any gas escaped through the ejection port, and the slide was well and truly locked, so we couldn't examine the case. They were non-factory reloads, though. Eye protection saved this person's vision, since there was a line of wood/metal pieces diagonally across his face, bleeding profusely, with 3 or 4 pits on his safety glasses. The person next to him had wraparound glasses, which was important, since he was struck as well.

When these blown guns happen, it seems like the gun is always to blame. I find it similar to aviation accidents: the investigators look for a mechanical cause but most of the crashes end up being attributed to pilot error. I think alot of these blow-ups can be attributed to "shooter error". A double charge most certainly can be thrown with a Dillon 550. I know from personal experience and it wasn't pretty. The 550 is a great machine but it requires extreme attention when reloading small quantities of quick burning powder in pistol cases. Any reloading but especially progressive reloading has to be done with 100% concentration: no music, no interruptions, no kids, no phones. Bulky powders that preclude bullet seating if a double charge is thrown are nice, but they are not always the best for accuracy and economy. Even better would be a five station press such as the Dillon 650 or the RCBS. This allows the use of a powder check/lockout die in the station following the powder measure. The auto indexing feature is also another safety feature, in my opinion.

The originator of this thread on ar15.com displays significant ignorance regarding reloading, but more specifically, about non-progressive presses. I would take his post with less than the grain of salt that it so richly deserves.

OK--

I cant help it.

So now I guess the FBI and hundreds of Law Enforcement agencies in this country and hundreds more around the world provide their personeel with the Glock because it is a lousy design and will blow up.

ONE MORE TIME

If you are RELOADING---

YOU---and only YOU---

Are responsible for the rounds you put out. If you stuff a Glock,1911,or whatever with rounds that are overcharged or out of spec you will,one day,sooner or later,get an unpleasant surprise.

I have been riduculed,name called,and basically trashed in this forum for reccomending to folks that they use quality factory ammunition.

One more time--

If you are confidient in your loading ability,please,have at it. But dont blame something other than you when you get that flash and stinging sensation in your hand.

If you are unsure,than dont re load. And never buy reloads at shows, or anyplace else.

Please be safe.

Ok, so can the guys that have been reloading .40 for a while with success, give a little insight to what loads you are using. I think that it will give the rest that want to load .40 some support and frame of mind that these loads have been tried and tested.

I have been reloading:

180 gr. bullet copper plated (Some XTP HP and some Barry's )
Winchester primers
6.9 gr. powerpistol
mixed brass ( primarily Remington)
Min OAL is 1.135 (I try to keep it around 1.138 or so)

I believe that the max with this powder is 7.2 gr.

When reloading the 40,there are a few things that will greatly reduce the chance of a kB!
-Use slower powders with lighter bullets. Blue Dot works very well, gettting higher velocities and lower pressures than most other powders with all but the lightest bullets. Blue Dot will also overflow the 40s&w case with a double charge. I also don't use jacketed bullets heavier than 165gr.
-If you have a polygonal barrel, don't shoot lead.
-Load them as long as possible while still maintaining proper function in your gun. I load the 40s&w to 1.145" (.010" longer than SAAMI specs) It will reduce the pressure, and I have found that it will also produce more consistent velocities and improved accuracy in my guns. There is more info on case length vs. pressure at: http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

I have seen one kB! in a Glock 23, and that was too many for a lifetime.

I had a 1911 blow up on me because of an unsupported case. I accidentally double charged 5.7 grains of WW231 behind a 230 fmj.

How is that a double charge? 5.7 grains is right at the maximum recommended charge FROM Winchester's reloading manual.

Son,

I think he means that he put TWO 5.7-grain charges into the case, for a grand total of 11.4 grains.

That should have been pretty spectacular.

Back