READ THIS ABOUT A GLOCK .40 BLOW-UP!

vmaam

I GOT THIS OFF OF THE AR15 BOARD.

Gemeinschaft
posted 11-27-2000 19:28

I just wanted to share this experience with everyone and send out a warning to all reloaders out there. Due to an unsupported case near the feed ramp, a Glock .40 can explode when using reloads. ( That is why GLOCK says not to use reloads)

Saturday at the range I work at, one of my regular customers was shooting his GLock .40 and it exploded. He uses a Dillon 550 press, so I don't see that a double charge could easily go unnoticed.

From what I understand, the .40 operates at really high case pressures and can be dangerous to reload. Maybe some of you can respond and keep me informed on the specifics behind the reason that the .40 has higher pressure than the .45acp.

Anyway, I saw this guy's pistol literally explode. The chamber flew up, the magazine was pushed out the bottom, the trigger shattered into pieces, the Mag release went flying out the side, the frame cracked and the slide came off of the rails.

I guess this guy is lucky because all it did was injure his pocketbook and make him change his pants.

It scared the Beegeezus out of me, I got hit in the glasses by a piece of shrapnel, Thank God for Eye Protection.
CMOS
posted 11-27-2000 19:34

"Due to an unsupported case..."

That is why I don't own a Glock. Give me a USP rated for +P+ ammo any day.

Good to hear this guy was not injured.

CMOS
Marine Grunt2
posted 11-27-2000 19:37

I've heard that about Glocks too. My boss has seen five of them blow up. Dont know if
they were shooting reloads or not...
Rob
posted 11-27-2000 19:38

Glock Pistols' have coined the term "KB" (Kaboom). Not surprised. Glad no one was hurt
though.

I had a 1911 blow up on me because of an unsupported case. I accidentally double charged 5.7 grains of WW231 behind a 230 fmj. It blew the top of the left grip off, blew the last round way down into the magazine, blew the plunger tube off and broke the hammer pin. I just replace the broken parts and it works just fine now. That unsupported case saved my bacon, if there was nowhere for that case to split open to I would have eaten the slide.

My Glock 27 hasn't blown up yet.. but then I haven't double charged it either.

Viva Unsupported Cases
Patrick Graham

The 40 has a higher pressure level because it was designed that way. The 40 works at 35000 cup where the 45 works at a max of 20000 cup. You can reload for glocks you just need to use lower pressure reloads because glocks unsupported barrel stretches brass a lot and cuts case life down.
PAT

juliet charley
I don't think so. GLocks are the best brand out there. So what if they don't cater to reloads. They are simply the best personal protection pistols in existence. They always work (factory ammo) in -40 below or in sand or mud they go bang and they come in any caliber you want.
PAT

355Sig, they are not the greatest. I split the frame on a G-23, and the slide on a G-22 using factory ammo. This ammo was not some over used set back ammo, but factory fresh. There are some serious QC probs with some Glocks in 40. In 9mm and 10mm and maybe 357 and 45, they are great, but not 40. I also had a KB! in the G22 that ruined the barrel with a mellow handload. So much for Glock perfection, they are as imperfect just as all manmade objects.

PAT -

Glock makes a very good pistol in the G17. For full-size 9 mm service pistols, it would be my personal second choice--behind the P35 and before the Beretta 92. ( The reasons for my rankings are largely subjective and are not germaine to this thread.)

Glocks are good, but they are not perfect nor are they the "simply the best personal protection pistols in existence. " I have had a Glock that jammed out of the box. I have had Glock that the best group it could shoot was more like a shotgun pattern than a group. The trigger spring will break. While Glocks generally "always work (factory ammo) in -40 below or in sand or mud they go bang " so do many others including the 1911, the S&W M27 and the Beretta 92. This is not to trash Glocks, but Glocks are no different than any other qualify pistol on the market--they have their strengths and weaknesses, and you can get a lemon.

The G22s/23s, however, do have some distinct design and/or engineeing shortcomings. It was a hurried and not thoroughly tested product (there were major LE contracts on the line). Glock was not the only company to make this mistake, but it is the only company that has not gone back fixed its product

Negative. I had a 1994 G22 and now I have a G23 and there have been subtle changes. Bottom Line: don't shoot relaods in a Glock----period.

I have seen more than one make kb due to reloads. I avoid em' (Glock, Sig, Ruger, Llama [imagine that], S&W)

Guns of all types get blown up for the same reason, overpressure, due to a double charge, or excessive bullet setback, and/or severve leading. All semi-auto barrels are 'un-supported' to some extent, otherwise they won't feed. And if a case is allready bulged and weakened, it is more likely to have a case rupture. As far as reloaders, the 550 is very easy to double charge because it is manually indexed. As far as lead reloads, lighter bullets and lower charge weights are less likely to cause problems than heavy bullets and maximum charges because the pressures are lower. The most commonly KB'd Glock is the 21 in .45acp, and not the 40S&W. Personally, I only shoot lead bullets in aftermarket barrels, and have put over 50,000 230 lead RN thru both my G21's without promblems. For an excellent analysis of Glock KB's, do a search for KB and leading by author MarkCO.

9x45
There have been more kb's with 40's in the glocks not the 21. I have had good luck with all my glocks even the 40's. But I know better than to load full power reloads in a glock barrel. Lyman's reloading book has some nice 40 reloads at only 25000 cup. I own and have owned many quality handgun brands and in my espierence the glock comes out on top.

PAT

Hk's may be rated for +p+ 9mm, but the .40 has no such SAAMI designation. Also, there are documented cases of Hk's Kbing too, even with their more supported chamber, so it happens with all guns.

I have little knowledge about reloading a .40 or shooting a reloaded Glock so maybe some of you could enlighten me.

Don't "Ka-booms" happen with every type of gun? I've seen the results of a 12gauge shotgun fired with a 16 gauge in the bore, so KB's happen with every type of improperly loaded firearm. This certainly isn't a Glock-only problem.

If your reloads are by-the-book standard, and are not hot-rodded, are they THAT dangerous to fire in a Glock?

Is there a problem shooting reloads in Glocks that are not chambered for the .40?

If ANY firearm shoots a double charged case, it is a bad situation. Unfortunately, we can't find out for sure whether or not the individual rounds were double charged. Is there any background on people's reloading past (experienced, novice) or on the reloading machinery they used (Dillon 550, RCBS single stange)?

I guess I have more questions than answers, and any insight you have would be appreciated. If you have any input, don't let this thread die, because I am one curious human being right now!

I have been reloading for the .40 in G22 and G23 for years with a 550. I am totally anal about interruptions when I'm reloading (an interruption is an invitation for a mistake such as a double charge). Also, I developed the habit of looking at the empty case at the powder station to verify that it is empty before EVERY stroke. It's not a hard habit to develop.

Which model gun has the most KB's is irrelevant unless you know how many of that model are out there and how often they're shot. What you really want to know is the KB rate per thousand rounds fired in a particular model. We'll never know that so arguing is futile.

My loads for the Glock don't distort the base of the case. Hot factory ammo will. You'll notice it when you go to resize or chamber check your reloads.

All this points out is you have to be careful. If you can, choose a powder that will overflow the case if you double charge it. I must admit that I don't do that but it still remains good advice.

I have a Glock 22 and just bought 1000rds of their remanufactured 180 gr fmj ammo. Does anyone think that this would be a serious risk for a KB? Georgia Arms ammo is supposed to be one of the best reloads on the market.

Mike

Actually, the reason the .45acps Glocks KB more than others is because there are alot more 45 reloaders from the 1911 days. I just kept the same 1911 load for my G21 when I started also. It is not an 'incident rate' problem in terms of gun model population. The 40S&W guys know they are dealing with a higher pressure round to start with.

Dillon tools are excellent, but the assumption that a double charge cannot occur with a Dillon is not valid. The .40, in fact, rather lends itself to double charges, and I wonder how many Glock KBs are traceable to that cause.

Jim

When the search function is restored...

Do a search on a thread called Glock Kaboom! It's a very old and lengthy thread here at TFL which discusses why Glocks can go Kaboom. Basic caution is not to use lead reloads in Glocks as lead bullets lead to pressure spikes and ultimately, Kaboom!

The real problem with Glocks is....

Some people just have a hard time getting used to the Glock Safe Action Trigger System. When they can't make themselves get used to it, they try to take every incident that they can find, of which most are due to neglence, and make the product look bad. That way, they feel justified in not liking such a fine weapon. What needs to be done is, before you spend the money on one, try it out. If it is just not for you, put it down. Instead of trashing it, say, "This may be a fine weapon, but it is just not for me," and simply forget about it. Personally, I do not like the feel of a Desert Eagle. The grip and frame are way too large for me. I could never rely on a Desert Eagle for every day carry. Do I think that it is a piece of crud? Heck no. I appreciate what it is. I envy those that can handle one. I can put it down. This gun is not for me, but it is a very fine firearm.

Back