Reacher/Lee Child Gun Goofiness in ‘Make Me’

Lucas Davenport and his equally killer adopted daughter Lette are the best.
Well said, Dr. Meyer. And as I recall, Sandford is pretty good about getting the details right, gun-related and otherwise. As he should be -- he's actually a fairly well-known (at least in these parts) journalist, John Camp.

Camp won a Pulitzer. His books have a slight animus against stupid civilian gun carrier/commando types. But then, he's not raving against guns for civilians - seems he doesn't like clowns.

Lucas is a significant gun aficionado.

I'm another big Lucas Davenport/Virgil Flowers fan. Very intelligent characters and stories on many levels, not just the gun stuff. Davenport is also a very sharp dresser -- Flowers, not so much.

The series will end with a gunfight between Lucas and Virgil over Lette. Since Virgil is known to be a crappy shot - it's all over for him. Just a guess. :D

I also like Kidd - hacker and jewel thief wife. Lucas is going to be a US Marshall - maybe he can meet up with Raylan!

The reader of fiction is expected to suspend his reality while in the story. Otherwise you can't enjoy any of the story. Suspension of reality is a key element of enjoying any fiction.

I agree. But there's a difference in being immersed in a story, and being fed plain stupid errors. A story has to make sense with the circumstances of the time and place.

For instance, watching Star Wars is a real leap into fantasy, but if Han Solo remarked about a distant planet Earth, and how an industrialist there named Bill Gates invented the automobile, we'd go, "Huh?"

Or if we read a novel that took place during World War Two and it described the Blitzkrieg as a battle between Greenland and Peru, it would just be plain stupid.

There's fiction, and then there's nonsense. Lee Child peddles some nonsense at times.

David

I also like Kidd - hacker and jewel thief wife. Lucas is going to be a US Marshall - maybe he can meet up with Raylan!
:D I think you mean LuEllen, but... yeah, that would be fun. Even better, I'm picturing her and Flowers meeting up. That could get... interesting.

Back