Re-thinking carry at work

excellent post.

I would tend to agree with the majority of respondents. If you may legally do so, I would carry all day. I wish I had that option.

BTW, many available carry options exist. For summer (no cover garment) carry, I am currently fond of the SmartCarry Invisible holster. It will accommodate a variety of small/medium pistols and revolvers. A Kahr P45 sits with me as I type.

Explore your options, and act accordingly.

I work in a small office ( two employees ) with very little traffic. Outside of a delivery anyone that walks in is usually by mistake. Wearing a concealed weapon is not a problem for me. In today's world I do not consider any place as being safe nor would I feel safe relying on someone else for protection. I understand some of you have no choice in the matter and I'm very lucky that I do. There have been occasions when having the comfort of a .45 ACP on me has come in very handy in dealing with potentially dangerous situations. Situations that otherwise I would have been a lot more fearful of dealing with and no doubt it would have shown.

"Stealing a credit card from a woman's purse would NEVER justify pulling out a handgun. They can always be cancelled and replaced, and in the worst event, most major credit cards (MC, Visa, etc.) you're only liable for the first $50.

For that, I would never risk pulling out a firearm."

The stealing of the credit card isn't the issue here (to me at least). The issue is that a nefarious type boldly made it past multiple LEO types and was able to rob someone. If this same person had been there with the intent of harming someone rather than just getting a free credit card for a day or two, having a gun handy would have been quite useful.

Currently anytime I'm outside of my house, I'm armed. I don't work in a high risk area, I don't live in a high risk area, however, I'm still going to take the responsibility to protect myself rather than hope someone else will be able to. About the only time that I'm not armed when I leave the house is when I know I'm going to have to fly somewhere that day (like today, d*mn I feel naked, but my pants are staying up better).

Also, my take on the idea of putting your firearm in your desk drawer is that it's just inviting it to be stolen. If it's on you, it's very unlikely that someone is going to take it. To me once you decide to carry, it's your responsibility to have exact knowledge of what is going on with your firearm at all times. You can't do that if it's locked away in your desk.

Back