Re-opening the Machine Gun Registry

I never got in the habit of carting a Xerox around with me, so I doubt I could show you anything you'd find meaningful.

Political reality check!

In today's atmosphere, NO Congressman or Senator is going to vote FOR machineguns. None. No way. Even if auto weapons owners had a LOT more clout than they do.

Jim

Micro, you have to admit Jim does have a valid point, it would be political suicide for any politician to promote the availibility of mgs

Actually, I think it would be far from political suicide. It may be impossible to actually pass, but it would find a good amount of support. Especially now that the AW ban is history and the streets aren't filling up with blood as the Brady bunch and democrats predicted. Most people think the AW ban was against machineguns, so go ahead and try to repeal the ban while people are thinking they are already legal again. Gotta take baby steps first, so make sure you put in some effort to get the "sporting" clause of the '68 GCA removed.

Baby steps. First get the sporting clause of the GCA repealed, then the import ban, then 922(o). We have to show in increments that the Brady crowd is wrong. If we jump at 922(o) first, the first time something bad happens, we will not have another shot at the ones that make absolutely no sense (like the AWB) for decades.

hmmm, for some reason, with the current majority of the populace being very anti weapon....I don't see anything happening, guns only seem to make it to the nightly news with bad effect. If anything owning a gun will be harder and harder in the future

Hate to say it, but I have encountered NFA dealers who talk long and hard about how the books should never be reopened. These are the same guys who list their MAC-11's for 9k and M-16's for 20k.

Heist makes a credible claim in that one of our largest obstacles may be overcoming the clout of the major dealers and collectors. When your multi-million dollar inventory might suddenly become worth only thousands, it does strange things to your perspective of right and wrong.

What to do? Get them the major dealers to commit one way or the other by signing a petition to reopen the registry. In the long-term it's GOOD for business, but it will cause short-term pain to those already entrenched with millions invested. Some people will insist on maintaining the status quo, and usually those are the people with the most to lose and the most influence within the current system.

Well i believe our best chance of of getting rid of 922(0) is through the courts. With that said we do have a chance of repealing the import ban and the others, however this would be diffucult. is going to take a while. But at the present time we have to wait for the to see the new make up of the supreme court. the best approach to repealing the machine gun freeze is to slowly chip away at the nfa law. i personally owned several illegal mgs before, although illegal i did use them, but thats a diffrent story. the best we could hope for right now is a ammnesty for illegall mgs. :barf:

I am a nra member,conservative, republican. Formerly none as wardog295

Heist makes a credible claim in that one of our largest obstacles may be overcoming the clout of the major dealers and collectors. When your multi-million dollar inventory might suddenly become worth only thousands, it does strange things to your perspective of right and wrong.

You do realize that if this is true, which I doubt greatly, then merely finding proof of this and making it public would strike a great blow for us by discrediting said dealers/collectors [as I believe they should be if this is true]?

Back