re: a problem with a Winchester 1300 shotgun

Dixie you were 100% on the money. These are the black plastic hammer spring supports. I have to wait until March 1st when I get my next SSDI check before I can replace the hammer spring supports. Is the shotgun safe to fire with the damaged hammer spring supports in it? The flat part in the hole of the hammer spring supports is rounded out. That's why the hammer stop pin hardly moves. That is the only damage to the hammer spring supports. The shotgun seems to work ok with the dummy test rounds. But unless the opinion here says yes it is safe to use asis I won't use it. All the years of working around radios, tv's and the high voltages in them has taught me safety 1st.

Steve

Though I don't think it will, the hammer could get loose on the supports, due to those D bosses wearing off. If it was bad enough, the hammer could rock side to side on the hammer pin and move over slack. That could be dangerous, and cause the sear to let the hammer loose if the gun was dropped, etc. To check that, just let the hammer drop forward, and try to rock the hammer side to side by giving it a push. The hammer should have no movement except rotation about its pin.

I don't know if I'd trust firing it, without making sure that button on the disconnector is down with every shot. If it is fully down, that shows it is blocking the action slide (slide arm bridge) so the bolt can't come open. If the bolt wasn't being blocked, by the action button or disconnector, and it was fired, then the bolt could possibly become unlocked, and fly back when you fire it. That you sure do not want.

I'd recommend not firing that until I got the new spring supports, and fixed any problem with the disconnector button.

If that is your recommendation then I will go with it and not use the shotgun until I replace the hammer spring supports. Thanks to everyone that had input on this project. It has been a worthwhile learning experience for me.

Steve

Reble - if you're interested in learning how to work on firearms, might I suggest you take a NRA Summer School Basic Firearms Repair class at Trinidad State Junior College. At least it will give you an understanding of the operation of the firearm and the function of the parts.

My first class Basic Armorer School (2 weeks) in '84 at Lassen College. It gave me a solid foundation upon which many schools were taken before going through the full two year program at TSJC.

Back