Ray Nagin and Returning Seized Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us were on the outside looking in. I would advise anybody interested to read Douglas Brinkley's book on the subject. The biggest problem I have was the decision to put all those people in the dome when many argue they had the where with all to get them out. And then blaming Washington,which is entirely capable of it's on bungling , but not responsible to wipe the butt of every citizen and local politician in the U.S.

It's interesting that the police had any effect seizing weapons and they wouldn't have without the complacency of the people.They are better at beating up old school teachers in the street.

The main problem we have here in Metro New Orleans (before Katrina, at least) is that most people have a such a laid back and somewhat selfish attitude toward everything. It's why corruption can thrive down here, because people just don't care about it unless it affects them directly - and even then sometimes still don't care.

It's a problem and it's also what makes New Orleans so great. No one really cares what you do, as long as you're not doing it to them. I think that attitude has changed at least alittle since the storm. It's still holds true for most everything but since the storm did it to just about everybody, I think people are more attentive to what's going on.

And again, I'm no Nagin fan, but to be fair - There's not too much you can do for disaster planning when you have schools with no text books, nowhere near enough cops on the street, rampant crime and corruption, and no money to fix anything. It was really a question of priorities.

Being Mayor of New Orleans is not something I would want to tackle.

^^
I think it's great that people can just be so laid back and not care at all about what is happening around them. Sounds like Timothy Leary lives on: drop the acid and groove on the colors. Whoopee.

Indifference is the supreme insult, and Nagin sure was indifferent to his supposed constituents. Sounds like there is so little to respect about them his response might actually be rational.

Make a deal with you: You go off and do whatever you want. When you are having a good time, I will leave you alone and you will leave me alone. When your life turns to crap, I will leave you alone and you will pull yourself out of the muck, you will leave me alone, will not rag on the feds to save you or whatever. None of my money goes to save your rear end. Sow and reap.

Can you handle that? Don't wimp out on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back