Range visit

Doc Hoy

Went to the range with a bunch of stuff on Saturday.

Took along three BP cartridge pieces.

Uberti 1866. What a sweet shootin iron. .44-40 and a 24 inch barrel. With my poor eyesight I can still get good consistent groups. I think that is because it is long way between the sights.

Also took along a Vaquero and an Uberti 1873 clone in .45 LC.

All in all a pretty fun day.

Glad you had a fun day shooting. I'm with Gary though, the days of multiple revolvers and a couple rifles rarely appeals to me. Lack of time for proper cleaning afterwards. I take one or two and make the most of shooting them.

Doc

I'm with you take a load. Cleaning isn't hard and I can get them cleaned fairly fast. Takes longer to get the cleaning stuff together than to clean just one gun. What's a little carbon among friends? I'll grab 5 or 6 normally (wife shoots too). Last trip was just 2 and only 22 rounds (load development test).
This weekend will be at least 3 for me and I'm sure the better half will have at least 2:D

As regards cleaning

Two things are true that impact my cleaning activities.

For one thing, I am a university professor and hence spend a lot of time working at the house. So I have a good bit of time to pay attention to cleaning and other things associated with shooting.

The second thing is that I enjoy handling the firearms and cleaning them is handling them.

So I like loading rounds, cleaning firearms, maintaining firearms, and making things that make the lifestyle a little more fun or interesting.

I think I would be much better off....

....If I concentrated my shooting day on a smaller number of choices.

Problem is I can't make a darned decision so I just take a lot of stuff along.

This time I needed to test a repair on my Walther P-38(01) so that was 9MM ammunition. That meant I could take along the Model 92. If the 92 goes, so does a 1911 clone. I have a Russian P64 that I needed to get more familiar with so that went along. It is .380 so I had a tough time not taking along another .380. Hadn't shot any .45 LC in a while so two revolvers went with me. Hadn't shot a lever gun for over a year so the 66 was included.

I am going to modify my practice with regard to collection of brass. Thus far I only take one container for spent brass. Fill it half way with soap water and just throw everything that comes out the breach end in the same container.

So now I have .380 rounds mixed with 9mm. Hard to sort.

.44-40 brass stuck in .45 LC and .45 ACP

.380 and 9mm brass inside of larger caliber brass.

I am going to either:

1. Reduce the different varieties of ammunition that I shoot at one time
2. Take along more than one soap water container.
3. Do both.

To RTPZWMS

Though I have a sincere admiration for families that shoot as a family event, the idea of taking my better half shooting didn't work out.

Mind you, we have an excellent relationship, actually the best marriage of any of the people we know and there is nothing I would change about it.

I took her shooting with me on two different occasions. The first time it took her about three days after the event to get over how bored she was. The second time she took a book along to read but then decided the environment just didn't match with T.D.Jakes. (My spouse thumps the bible pretty hard.)

It worked out the same way when she tried to get me interested in church. I went the first time and just couldn't get into it. The second time I made myself very unpopular when I tried to bring the 1911 to clean it during the sermon. Church folks can be mighty unforgiving.

Now we have an arrangement. I never ask her to go shooting. She never asks me to go to church.

Caution:

The third and fourth paragraph in this post are filled with lies.

Last edited:
The only time I ever enjoyed cleaning guns was when I had a professional parts cleaner setup.
Very quick and thorough.
If we had room I'd have another one.

As a side note, have you offered your wife's church mates a day at the range?
You, and especially her, might be surprised at the favorable response.

The only time I ever enjoyed cleaning guns was when I had a professional parts cleaner setup.
Very quick and thorough.
If we had room I'd have another one.

As a side note, have you offered your wife's church mates a day at the range?
You, and especially her, might be surprised at the favorable response.

G,

Problem is, they would want to shoot with me.

I always try to shoot alone.

Several reasons, most of them bogus.

I usually shoot alone too Doc. Go out about into the sagebrush about two miles from the house and shoot targets and cans. My brother joins me during his visits and my son and daughter used to join me but they moved away when they went to college. I actually enjoy shooting alone. Let's me concentrate more on what I'm doing.

In a previous post I said I like to shoot alone

I have several reasons for this and I thought I would explain myself.

To start with, I will tell you that my shooting experience began with my uncle when I was about ten.

Occasionally we would go into a woods behind the house where we lived and just plink with .22s. He was an avid and very capable hunter but I only went hunting once and decided I didn't like it.

I was constantly concerned with the direction I was pointing the muzzle. Internally I was asking the question: What if I allow myself to become distracted for even one second and the muzzle sweeps across my uncle. Even if the rifle didn't accidentally go off, even if my uncle was never aware of the mistake, I WOULD KNOW and the potential harm is too severe to even think about.

Then in the Navy we shot quite often. Did "Famfires" on a regular basis, shot for the medals (243 on the pistol and 225 on the rifle). This of course was always done on a range (even a makeshift range on the fantail) and always with about a million other folks around, folks who had absolutely zero concern or respect for the weapon. Always there was a range master who insisted upon strict adherence to his rules (and rightfully so).

To escape this craziness I started shooting BP on my own. I developed a tendency to shoot alone, and the tendency turned into a practice and the practice turned into a religion.

I shoot alone:

1. Because I don't like having to adhere to a range master's pace, timing and rules. I know the rules are inescapable if more than one person is shooting. They are good rules which have saved a lot of lives and should never be dispensed with.
2. I think that two people on a range at one time is more than twice as dangerous as one person.
3. Since the only thing I really have to care about is not shooting my truck, my solitary shooting has caused me to developed some habits which I am sure could be disastrous if two people were present.
4. No other person would tolerate my shenanigans. I am slow. I aim slow, I load slow, I shoot slow, I check my targets slow, when I go into the weeds to urinate, I urinate slow. No one would tolerate me.
5. I shoot not just for shooting but for solace.

There are an awful lot of disadvantages to shooting alone. Most prominently is that the development of my shooting technique has been flat. I know I would be a better shooter if I had the input of other shooters who are better than me (which include just about everyone who shoots.)

Also, if something unfortunate happens I am out there alone. I have my cell phone but the coverage ain't that great and it is only just moderately likely that the phone would work.

I am not going to change my ways. And I am not apologizing for them. Criticism of my "I always shoot alone" practice could come from many directions. It is just the way I like to do business.

Doc Hoy

to your reply LMAO. It only took 35 years for my wife to come around. So far her interest has cost me 1 Kimber, 2 Rugers, 3 Brownings and untold rounds down range. For the first 34 years I think she made 4 visits to the range. Then 4 years ago she announced that she wanted to go with me on a visit to the range. She picked up my Kimber 1911 pulled the trigger and hit the center of the bulls eye in the target. That was it, I lost my Kimber for about 7 months. I kept taking the Kimber to the range and cleaning it after the trip but never shot it at the range. So we ended up getting her a pistol of her own it continues to today. I can't take her to a gun store we might leave with another gun...the only one complaining is the budget.:D

Wisdom with laughter - a wonderful combination. Thanks, Doc Hoy.

Since you are a professor, I wonder what you profess.

So now I have .380 rounds mixed with 9mm. Hard to sort.

Just stand them up in batches on a table. The shorter .380 brass is obvious. Much faster than looking at head stamps. And you can do it by yourself!

Human Resource Management and Criminal Justice

In a previous life I taught electrical engineering.

Agree with the shorter case technique.

Though I have a sincere admiration for families that shoot as a family event, the idea of taking my better half shooting didn't work out.

Mind you, we have an excellent relationship, actually the best marriage of any of the people we know and there is nothing I would change about it.

I took her shooting with me on two different occasions. The first time it took her about three days after the event to get over how bored she was. The second time she took a book along to read but then decided the environment just didn't match with T.D.Jakes. (My spouse thumps the bible pretty hard.)

It worked out the same way when she tried to get me interested in church. I went the first time and just couldn't get into it. The second time I made myself very unpopular when I tried to bring the 1911 to clean it during the sermon. Church folks can be mighty unforgiving.

Now we have an arrangement. I never ask her to go shooting. She never asks me to go to church.

Caution:

The third and fourth paragraph in this post are filled with lies.

That is one of the best posts I have ever read.

My SIL is a recent Jehovah's Witness convert.

Nuff said here.

Very nice treatise

In a previous post I said I like to shoot alone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have several reasons for this and I thought I would explain myself.

To start with, I will tell you that my shooting experience began with my uncle when I was about ten.

Occasionally we would go into a woods behind the house where we lived and just plink with .22s. He was an avid and very capable hunter but I only went hunting once and decided I didn't like it.

I was constantly concerned with the direction I was pointing the muzzle. Internally I was asking the question: What if I allow myself to become distracted for even one second and the muzzle sweeps across my uncle. Even if the rifle didn't accidentally go off, even if my uncle was never aware of the mistake, I WOULD KNOW and the potential harm is too severe to even think about.

Then in the Navy we shot quite often. Did "Famfires" on a regular basis, shot for the medals (243 on the pistol and 225 on the rifle). This of course was always done on a range (even a makeshift range on the fantail) and always with about a million other folks around, folks who had absolutely zero concern or respect for the weapon. Always there was a range master who insisted upon strict adherence to his rules (and rightfully so).

To escape this craziness I started shooting BP on my own. I developed a tendency to shoot alone, and the tendency turned into a practice and the practice turned into a religion.

I shoot alone:

1. Because I don't like having to adhere to a range master's pace, timing and rules. I know the rules are inescapable if more than one person is shooting. They are good rules which have saved a lot of lives and should never be dispensed with.
2. I think that two people on a range at one time is more than twice as dangerous as one person.
3. Since the only thing I really have to care about is not shooting my truck, my solitary shooting has caused me to developed some habits which I am sure could be disastrous if two people were present.
4. No other person would tolerate my shenanigans. I am slow. I aim slow, I load slow, I shoot slow, I check my targets slow, when I go into the weeds to urinate, I urinate slow. No one would tolerate me.
5. I shoot not just for shooting but for solace.

There are an awful lot of disadvantages to shooting alone. Most prominently is that the development of my shooting technique has been flat. I know I would be a better shooter if I had the input of other shooters who are better than me (which include just about everyone who shoots.)

Also, if something unfortunate happens I am out there alone. I have my cell phone but the coverage ain't that great and it is only just moderately likely that the phone would work.

I am not going to change my ways. And I am not apologizing for them. Criticism of my "I always shoot alone" practice could come from many directions. It is just the way I like to do business.

I would go with you and stand a far distance just to watch. I would more than tolerate you because I have many of the same traits.

Kudos.

Back