Range Report Ammo casing failure?

It seems to me that another issue is being ignored. While revolvers are pretty much immune to pressure variations (short of blowup), auto pistols are designed to function within narrower ranges. And that is not just in chamber design and case support. The higher the pressure, the greater the possibility of locking lug battering and failure, the higher the velocity imparted to the slide with resulting greater battering of slide and frame, the more impact on the recoil spring, etc.

I don't know if BB is loading "at the edge", but IMHO, I am not fond of a company whose attitude seems to be: "we are never wrong, customers have no business bothering us, and if you don't like it, go to blazes." I think I would use another brand of ammo, even if I didn't get the absolute maximum in velocity bragging rights with my buddies. No animal or target (or person) hit by a bullet will know or care about that extra 100fps, anyway.

Jim

I believe BB is claiming more than that.

They list the 180 gr @ 1600 fps in the first lower chart.

Those are trajectory charts and don't reflect actual muzzle velocities of the cartridge in question.

Their actual test results on the same page:
Please note below, my personal velocities taken from real pistols.

1. 1311 fps - Glock model 20 4.6 inch barrel

2. 1337 fps - Colt Delta Elite 5 inch barrel

3. 1351 fps - Para Ordinance 1911 with Nowlin 5 inch barrel

I don't know if BB is loading "at the edge", but IMHO, I am not fond of a company whose attitude seems to be: "we are never wrong, customers have no business bothering us, and if you don't like it, go to blazes."
I Agree, good point.

When it comes right down to it, the responsibility is with the shooter.
Use hot ammo in a less than fully supported chamber, and the risk of trouble increases.
If the barrel wasn't meant for that kind of load, don't do that.
A very wise man once said to treat all claims with suspicion, and only trust yourself.

I agree, but the shooter is not really able to determine whether factory ammo velocity/pressure is moderate, high, or too high, or if the chamber support is OK or inadequate, especially when the gun or ammo makers claim that there can be no problem with their products.

FWIW, another possible cause could have been defective brass; I don't know if BB draws their own brass or buys it from a third party, or has the testing facilities to make sure it is up to specifications.

Apparently Chris was lucky enough to get away without serious injury and with only a ruined magazine, but things could have been worse.

Jim

I look at the numbers that Buffalo Bore (along with Underwood, etc...) advertise and find it a little tough to believe they are not squeezing the pressure to get those velocities. I am not saying unsafe but none of the conventional ammo manufacturers are close to them as well as I have 12+ reloading manuals and I was not able to find any data that meets or exceeds Buffalo Bore claims in 10mm and I looked at 45 Colt as well for comparison as they post some big numbers there too.

I have a 10mm and my go to load is a 180 HP @ 1252. I have been shooting that for years, no pressure issues, easy on the pistol, and no desire for more with that round. I can't help but think going for more would hammer the pistol with no gain in believing the gun would be more than effective in a practical sense than the 180 load is now. It makes me think that Buffalo Bore markets their ammo to those who love paper ballistics. YMMV

Interesting discussion... but:

I have seen a lot of Buffalo Bore over the last 5-10 years and I don't recall EVER having had seen that headstamp on a piece of Buffalo Bore. If anything, that headstamp looks like Armscor, best I can remember.

I would also say that the blowout looks far enough up from the actual case head that it almost appears to be more of an out-of-battery firing than a barrel with suspect case head support, but with only the one picture (the second picture) that's just my knee-jerk reaction.

It would be interesting to hear exactly what Buffalo Bore said. Has anyone else seen that headstamp on Buffalo Bore? Buffalo Bore usually runs Starline head stamped brass, in my experience, but what have others seen?

Picked up the Delta today

Sorry it took so long but I just picked it up from H&H this afternoon. The smith said it looked good and there was no damage other than the magazine. He did a full take down and cleaning. Here are some pics and the original emails from Buffalo Bore for your entertainment.

Original email sent to Buffalo Bore
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:06 PM

To: sales@buffalobore.com
Subject: New Contact Request: Casing failure
Subject: Casing failure
Message: I bought 2 boxes of your 10mm ammo. On the 4the shot from my Colt
Delta Elite your round had a catastrophic failure and blew out the side of
the round destroying my magazine and injuring my 16 year old son. I have
never been as disappointed with a product as I am with yours. I have
pictures and the failed round casing if you are interested.
Chris

Email 2 response from Buffalo Bore
On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Tim wrote:
Chris,
We literally sell tons of that ammo and are not having the problem you've
had in millions of rounds sold to the public. So while you may be
Disappointed in the product, let's do some research to determine why this
happened and then you will know for certain where to place your
disappointment, instead of doing it by reflex, OK? I need you to
accurately/truthfully answer some questions.
1. You failed to state which item # you were firing, which item # was it, as
we make several 10MM loads.
2. Does you pistol have the factory barrel in it or has an aftermarket
barrel been installed?
3. Did you buy the pistol new?
4. If you know the history of this pistol (i.e. you bought it new) has a
gunsmith done a "ramp/throating" job on it to facilitate smooth/reliable
cycling?
5. Exactly what ammo did you fire just prior to firing ours?
There are a number of factors that can cause a casing web failure, only a
couple of which would be attributed to the ammo, but several that can be
attributed to the firing mechanism (gun) and several that can be attributed
to a combination of factors, not just one factor and when you use full
power/high performance ammo such as ours, those factors become much more
critical, which is why most ammo companies water the ammo down far below the
levels it was designed to perform at, but they feel they have to idiot proof
the ammo against ANY type of mistake the shooter or gun manufacturer or gun
smith may make. We don't water our 10MM loads down to make up for the lack
of knowledge or understanding of gun manufacturers, gunsmiths or shooters.
If something is out of spec with that pistol, what happened to you is very
possible. We make sooooo much 10MM ammo and have for such a long time, that
we know our product very well, so you can help by answering the above
questions as a place to start. Thanks.
Tim

Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2013 10:35 AM
To: Tim
Subject: Re: New Contact Request: Casing failure

Tim,
The item number on the box is 21B/20 180 gr JHC 1350 fps The Sticker on the box says BBAC-21B/20
The pistol has never had any work done on it and is still in the factory configuration.
I bought the pistol new in the box from a dealer here in Oklahoma City
I fired 2 rounds of your 21C/20 220 gr Hard cast rounds and one round of your 21B/20 . I had alternating rounds of your ammo in the magazine
Prior to your ammo I fired roughly 2 boxes of Remington UMC 180 gr FMJ about 3 months ago.
I purchased this at ######## in Oklahoma city.
Although I appreciate your condescending tone I am including a picture of the round and would like for you to explain how my weapon and or "lack of knowledge or understanding" would be responsible for a casing breach like this. My son is fine and I can buy a new magazine. I was just informing you of the problem. I still have 2 boxes of your ammo that I will throw away and consider as a lesson learned.
Chris

From Buffalo Bore

Chris,
Yes I’d be happy to explain how a new pistol can cause or allow a case web failure. At the risk of sounding condescending, please understand I do this for a living, currently own around 400 firearms that I test, test, test,. I’m deep into this industry. I’ve bought new Colts that would not fire straight from the box and have seen manufacturing and design flaws in EVERY make of firearm that is mass produced. I refuse to assume anything, such as it is the guns fault or the ammo’s fault you experienced a case web failure. In your case I suspect (I don’t know or assume, I suspect) that your new Delta Elite has a very generous area machined away in the chamber right above the feed ramp, to facilitate feeding. If this area is too large, the casing will not have enough support and will let go. With lower pressure ammo, you won’t experience a case failure, but with high pressure ammo, it is more likely. You can easily remove your barrel and drop a live round in it and see how much casing is unsupported. If you have a space much more than about .200-.300 inch long, that is unsupported, you've likely found the culprit. In the last year, I've been informed of two or three case web failures in the New Delta Elite pistols and those failures were not with BB ammo. My Delta Elite was made in 1985 and is executed wonderfully.
While less likely, it is very possible that there could be an internal inclusion in the brass case around the web area. This would be invisible from outside the case, so it would go unnoticed, till it was fired.
There are a number of other possibilities. One thing I've learned over millions of rounds placed into the public’s hands, shot through countless firearms makes and designs, is to never assume anything, Chris. Firearms have a number of moving parts that have to be held to tight tolerances and all have to work together in a millisecond. On the other hand, ammo is fixed, made of only four components with no moving parts unless fired. There are far more chances/ways for firearms to cause a problem, than there is for ammo.
Case in point that directly relates to blown case webs: Glock makes a pistol that is probably the most reliable and durable of all pistols made. Glock even went so far as to adopt the moniker of “Glock Perfection”. However, in their first two generations (20 years) of manufacturing pistols, the Glock pistols chambered in 40 S&W kept experiencing case web blow outs with all types of ammo. Why? Not enough chamber support! Seems the engineers at Glock did not understand that 40 S&W brass was designed with much weaker case webs than 9MM brass and since Glock made only 9MM’s for their first several years of production, they ended up designing their 40 S&W pistols the same as their 9MM pistols. This was a big mistake made by the most perfect gun company (according to them) in the world. Modern Glocks chambered in 40 S&W now feature much more case web support and the problem is solved.
At any rate, I took the time on the Sunday before Christmas (I should not be working today) to address a customer’s (yours) complaint, only to have you upset that I did not ask about your son and that you think I was condescending. If your son was badly injured, you’d have stated such in your first email, no? I have now answered you twice on the Sunday before Christmas because I care about our customers and our product. If you still find my efforts to be condescending, it is on you. If you are still willing to assume the case web failure you experienced is the fault of the ammo, that will be on you as well. Sincerely, if there is anything else I can do, let me know.
Tim
I never responded to the last email.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 43
I took the liberty of clearing up and zooming your photos a tad. After seeing this...

16_zps015b7c39.jpg

This comes as no surprise at all.

photo5_zpsa4699f8e.jpg

Insufficient case support with a max 10mm load.

You are not kidding. Boy that case is unsupported!

I am surprised this is your first blowout. I guess it is a testament to how wimped out the standard commercial 10mm loads are today. I know I would have been scared to drop the hammer on my reloads with a gun that unsupported.

Good luck on this but I suggest you consider putting a fully supported barrel into that gun.

My 2008 build-date MML-prefix Glock 29 with OEM original 10mm barrel has oodles and oodles and miles more case head support than what you're showing in these pictures. -FAR- more, it's not a close race.

I've still never seen Buffalo Bore ammo with that "A USA" head stamp on it, all my Buffalo Bore experience has shown "Buffalo Bore" or more often, Starline on the case head. But I haven't bought new Buffalo Bore ammo in a while.

I don't think what I've read in the e-mails is out of line, but that's merely my opinion and I can see how it might come across differently if I were in the middle of the problem.

A few comments/thoughts.

1. The picture of the barrel showing a chambered round tells the story. There's not a lot of case support and it looks like the loading you shot needs a lot of case support.

2. Based on the location of the blowout and the fact that the primer hit is more or less centered, I'm going to say that there was not an out of battery issue. The blowout is consistent with a fully chambered round being fired from the barrel pictured, and the centered primer hit suggests that the gun was not partially unlocked (i.e. it appears to have been fully in battery) when the round was fired.

I look at the numbers that Buffalo Bore (along with Underwood, etc...) advertise and find it a little tough to believe they are not squeezing the pressure to get those velocities.
Yeah, I'm right there with you.

I know what BB says about the pressure of their rounds. I also know that Hornady has a lot more technology, resources and testing equipment at their disposal than BB and furthermore that Hornady has made a name for themselves creating high-performance rounds that shoot at normal pressure. Yet when I called Hornady and asked them why they didn't load their 10mm hotter, the reply was that they couldn't load it any hotter and still stay below SAAMI limits.

So BB has figured out how to make ammo that stays within pressure limits but still outperforms everyone else's ammo? It could happen, but I think that this is one of those cases where 2 + 2 obviously makes 4 but people want it to be 3 so badly that they're willing to overlook the obvious.

Now you have to temper this a little bit. Even assuming my speculation is correct, BB isn't selling instant grenades in a 20 round count box. They couldn't stay in business if they did that. In my opinion, what's going on is that they push right up to the limits of what they can get away with nearly all the time. Not surprisingly, with that strategy, they get away with it nearly all the time. But once in awhile, someone shoots some of their ammo in a gun with a little less case support than usual--maybe when the temperature is a little high--maybe in a gun with a leade that is tighter than normal--maybe they're using a batch of brass that is a little weaker than normal, maybe the gun has a tendency to bang the round around during feeding and sets the bullet back a little too much. When too many factors add up the wrong way then there's an incident.

When that happens, if they can't discourage the customer from pursuing them for reparations, then they might have to pay out a tiny fraction of what they make on their ammo to repair/replace a customer's gun.

Few things I'd like to point out here. Two of the most popular "boutique" ammo makers are Buffalo Bore and Underwood. Underwood specifically has a warning not to shoot their 180gr @ 1300 fps 10mm load from the Delta Elite, they actually have a load specifically for the Delta Elite (1240 fps) because of the poor chamber support its barrel offers.

Buffalo Bore claims even hotter (180gr @ 1350 fps) and says it's perfectly fine for the Delta Elite. So which is it? With chamber support that bad, I wouldn't shoot anything remotely "hot" in it.

I do think the Buffalo Bore round is likely over pressure as well, and by that I mean it likely exceeds 37,500 PSI. Why do I think this? Basically it's just a hunch and I'll try to explain why, but I've owned and "tore down" some Underwood 10mm ammo and what I found was their choice of powder (at the time 800x) was WELL over book max, which means it was (and likely still is) over pressure. I hear UW switches up powder from time to time based on availability, but they use the same powders us reloaders have available to us.

Now having handloaded for quite a while, using BOOK data (from the manufacturer), I've topped out at around 1260-1270 fps using a 180gr bullet in a 4.6" Glock 20. To get 1300 fps, I have to go OVER book max, which means I'm likely going over pressure too. Does Buffalo Bore use a custom powder? I don't know, but if not, they have to be going over pressure to achieve those numbers (1300+ G20, 1330-1350 5" 1911).

Add overpressure ammo to a poorly supported chamber and it's game on...in a very bad way. A recent thread over on GT shows a guy shooting UW 220gr from G20 and even in a better supported aftermarket barrel, having blown out primers and severely bulged (bubbled) brass. I hate to say it, but most of this high performance 10mm is overpressure and not real safe to be shooting.

Last edited:
After looking at the pictures, I took a look at my 10mm. While it too is a little open somewhat on the bottom, there does appear to be at least some difference. In any case, I still question it blowing the case out like that. It had to be a lot of pressure and/or some questionable brass. YMMV

10mmbarrelB-1_zps1cca5b57.jpg

Looking at the pictures, I don't think there is one problem involved, there are three.

1) The web (thick part of the brass) does not extend as far up as in other cartridges (9mm for example). I have noticed this in other 10mm and .40 S&W cartridges. That means that that brass needs greater case support than other calibers/cases. (See the second picture with the little flap of thin brass at a point where the brass should be a lot thicker.) Note that reducing the height of the web allows more powder space and hence higher velocity, but also higher pressure. So the combination of a low web and higher pressure is not a good one, since it needs only 2) to make trouble.

2) The barrel of that Delta Elite has too little case support; that amount would probably be OK with 9mm or .45 but not with that 10mm.

3) High velocity cartridges. No matter what anyone says, the only way to get higher velocity with other factors given, is to increase pressure. There is no magic involved.

So, IMHO, we have an ammo company going for high velocity at the expense of good case construction and a gun company going for reliability at the expense of safety.

I will also add:

4) A customer base that demands higher and higher velocity for no reason other than bragging rights and the "thrill" of a lot of noise and blast. I don't know how many users of BB ammo and Delta Elite pistols have actually needed that power to defend themselves and stop a determined attacker, but I think the count could be made on one finger, if that. So the companies who make that ammo and those guns are not as much to blame as customers who demand performance at the expense of safety when there is no real need for that performance.

Jim

Last edited:
A customer base that demands higher and higher velocity for no reason other than bragging rights and the "thrill" of a lot of noise and blast. I don't know how many users of BB ammo and Delta Elite pistols have actually needed that power to defend themselves and stop a determined attacker, but I think the count could be made on one finger, if that.

I couldn't agree more. You don't have to look at too many reloading forums before you find posters that are frustrated because they were unable get some number on a chronograph that parallels what they saw in a reloading manual or on an ammo manufacturers spec chart. Moreover, they rate the quality of ammunition by the velocity/energy it delivers. To relate this directly to 10mms, I have two loads that I use more than any others; a 180 HP and a cast 210. The 180 XTP @ 1252 fps will not penetrate near as well as my 210 SWC @ 971 fps. The frame on the 10mm will allow you to load and reliably feed long bullets like the 210 where that would be a challenge to any 40 I have experience with. Could I get more velocity out of the 210? Sure but why? It is reliable and scary accurate. If I had only the 10mm to use in bear county, the load would be the 210 without hesitation. I couldn't believe the small trees that load would shoot through that stopped the 180 XTP when I was just out fooling around with it.

All that said, you will still have that core of folks who will pay over $2 a round to BB to tell anyone who will listen how fast it goes out of their gun. YMMV

While I don't disagree with both of you, the point you are making is what draws most folks to the 10mm in the first place. It is about the power, the speed and the blast.

I went through this "nuclear" phase with my 10mm's. Fortunately I was smart enough to keep the nuke level reloads out of my 1911's and use the witness and 610 as the platforms. It is fun, challenging and can show what the round can do.

Now on the other hand, I put target loads in my 1911's in general. 180's to 200's around 1150 to 1200 fps. I put the hotter loads in the Glock, 610 and Witness Hunter where the longer barrels can do some good with the rounds. The 10mm can be a very accurate, reliable and fun round to shoot and in general with lead bullets cheaper to fire than the 45acp.

So coming back to BB and the round in question. I would state that I have never bought a round from them although I have chrono-ed some given to me at the range. I figured why buy what I can make? But, for those that cannot make it, BB supplies a top end product that is probably right at the ragged limits in terms of power level that meets SAAMI protocols. They assume (I believe) that anyone willing to pay $2/round has a gun that can take it and will also not shoot enough of it to really beat up their gun. In this case that assumption was violated by not having enough casing head support.

I can't fault BB for making a top end product that those in the public want to buy. I also can't fault Colt (much) for making a barrel that is over throated since in general this would be "good enough" and was "good enough" for many rounds. Just don't put the two together and life would have been good.

Last comment. Your 210's at 970FPS makes plenty of sense to me. If your accuracy is good, that is a nice mild load and would be fine in a 1911 format gun as you are close to the 45ACP 230@850.

Back