Range Question

I see far too many people practicing at close range simply because it is so much easier to make an impressive number of holes in the target.

My club's outdoors handgun range was set up for only the traditional target distances of 25 and 50-yards. Shorter distance target foundations and anti-ricochet berms have been recently added. If your club doesn't have the distances you want, perhaps you can get together with some other like minded shooters and make your wishes known to the general membership. That's what happened at my club.

Well, like my old drill sergeant used to tell me (often at high volumes...), 'train how you fight'. Keep it at practical distances and get to work. Then again, keep shooting at 25 and 50 yards, you never hear about the guy that had too much training.

target ranges are for socializing

Like taking sports judo to learn street fighting.

´`Now, I understand that most self-defense shootings take place from 3-10 yards``

Forget them yards! The stats are 0 to 20 feet. Can you visualize 0 feet? Can you shoot somebody while you are jabbing him in the throat? How good are you at butt strokes and pistol whipping?

Can you move and shoot at the same time (without, among other things, the range master jumping all over you)?

Try to find a friend`s farm or public lands or something.

To simplify things, I practice at 10 feet most of the time. I practicing to shoot felons, not to impress people. Not even myself.

I would say practice at what range you think you should or what benefits you the most. Alot say that 0-10 yards is most popular. for me I like 10-25 yards and still put a target at about 75 yards to keep my distance shooting up in tune. I figuer most could not touch me at 75 yards but I believe I can hit most at 75 yards with my carry gun. Be practicle and practice, practice and more practice!

Actually the IDPA idea was a good one. Not only do you get varied distances, you practice moving and use of cover.

One thing to watch for is the range specific firing-rate allowances.

A lot of ranges I've dealt with lately have a mandatory 3-second wait between shots.

You can't practice self defense shooting like that!

I practice at 7 and 15 yards ... if the target is farther out, odds are I'm zigging and zagging in the other direction ... I occasionally shoot at the 25 yd stations -- the longest my range offers for handguns -- but mainly for fun ...

Back