Range Officer inspection

Of the two ranges I have gone to, neither of them has even asked to see my weapon, they do check my ammunition with a magnet to make sure there isn't any steel cases or ammunition.

I guess the inspection was just something I got used to and expected. I guess their waiver and video spells out the guidelines and that's it. Of course, the other public ranges also had a waiver and video.

The RO's at this facility are the most helpful of the places I've gone and extremely friendly and accomodating. I would expect that their hiring process includes exceptional customer service training.
I think at this point, you should probably tell us where you live and where these ranges are. 3 local ranges doing something that most of us here have never experienced seems like something that may be beyond a local mandate or "required by insurance". I know of no state or local USA law that requires a range to inspect arms.

In an extreme example or zealous safety, I think I remember reading somewhere that shooting ranges in Australia actually have their rental pistols tied down with cables so that they only point downrange... I don't suppose you live outside the US?

EDIT, found the article:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/02/12/tethered-guns-indoor-range/

Closest to an inspection was at a Bass Pro in MI. And all he did was place a specially marked tie strap over the range bag with the guns in it and didn't care at all about the concealed gun under my shirt.
At the range upstairs, the guy cut the tie strap, and when I left placed a new strap on the bags handles.
I guess this was to make sure I did not fill the bag up with stolen merchandise.

Most indoor ranges around here may take a quick look at ammo, looking for non-brass, the first or second time you shoot with them. However, there is one local range that inspected my ammo every single time I went, even though they knew who I was and knew what ammo I used. I decided after the 4th or 5th time, if they couldn't show me any more respect than that, I could find somewhere else to shoot. I get it. Their range, their rules. On the other hand, my money, my time, my choice on who to patronize as a loyal customer. I haven't been back since.

I've shot at quite a few ranges, both indoor and outdoor, I shoot competitively. Only once have I had my ammo inspected, and that was because the range had a new rule, no steel jacketed ammo. Never got checked there again, as I think it was only done for a short period just to remind people of the new rule. I have never had my firearms inspected.

I've never had my weapons not inspected to some degree. All checked that it was clear, and some have checked for barrel obstructions. I've had RO's that weren't familiar with me have me perform weapon manipulations to demonstrate competency. Now since I'm well known to most, I open the case to show the slide is locked back and I'm good to go.

The ammo inspection is important. Armor piercing ammo can damage the backstop, and people do stupid things like bringing in tracers. At the outdoor rifle range someone brought some in and set the backstop on fire. The indoor range I go to is lead-free frangible only, so they check for this.

I have no issue with any of this, I work safely and I want those around me to do the same, for my own safety. I would prefer not to have to render first aid to someone else (or myself).

I've never had my weapons not inspected to some degree.

Put that way, I guess my guns get inspected after every string of fire. It's a rule in Precision Pistol competition that you must install an ECI (Empty Chamber Indicator) before walking down range to score and change targets. An assistant range safety officer walks down the line and checks that all ECIs are in place before the head range officer announces the line is safe you may go forward to score and change targets.

For indoor ranges I have never had my weapons inspected and if asked I would probably go elsewhere. Unless I know the person I’m not comfortable letting someone handle my weapons unless I am sure they know what they are doing.

I do have ammo inspected with a magnet to make sure I’m not shooting steel. this seems reasonable as the steel can tear up the backstop.

I have had a couple ROs be interested in some of my vintage guns and want to look at them. I usually am glad to share and even let them shoot a mag or two.

Nanny1, I began shooting many decades before Al Gore invented the internet. Never had a "Range Officer inspection".

I worked at an indoor range 16 years ago and we never did inspections like that. The only time I have any RSO check to ensure my weapon is clear is during Dept qualification. My regular range is unmonitored, so not only is nobody checking anything, there is nobody TO check anything. haven't had anything happen yet, and it's been in operation for decades.

The only time I had mine inspected was at Bass Pro's indoor range. They check for loaded guns and put a trigger lock on. With a CCW I can walk in with them loaded carrying my ammo in a small range bag, no inspection or check in.

Back