• At least 40 feet but less than 50 feet

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 50 feet or more

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What advantage? I'm not laying a trap for them, I'm defending myself and my wife. If they know I'm upstairs and armed they're more likely to leave and I avoid a gunfight. win-win

If they come upstairs to face me, my (and their) chances of survival drop significantly. lose-lose
The advantage of them not knowing the police are on the way, and giving away your location.

You can always give them a "warning" if you hear them approaching, but it's better to maintain the element of surprise and increase the odds of them being apprehended.

Do you somehow believe that law enforcement officers responding to a home invasion in progress would for some reason arrive with sirens sounding?
A "home invasion" or "burglary in progress" would typically warrant a Code 3 response.

If possible they may turn off the sirens close to the location, but if there's traffic that may not happen.

Pursuing someone, yes, but in responding to a report of a burglary or home invasion, the practice here has been to arrive in as many different cars a possible from different directions, as silently as possible, and for some of them to disembark some distance away and continue on foot.

A surprised suspect is less likely to hide successfully and make his escape.
Those tactics might apply in the city.
Where I live I'd be lucky to get one or two cars here in less than 20 minutes.

Sport 45, my house is very different. I have a huge landing. I drop back to the south end and wait, and as they work their way up the stairs with their backs to me and then turn to face me that gives almost three seconds during which they couldn't even see me.

God help me if they reach that grand, central landing. They will literally own the home, with every door and every room a step or two away. Hunker down and guard the door, and if I have to save a kid, I'm almost bound to loose against several bad guys.

I have another stair well, a more traditional one, with a pantry at the top. A couple sweeps of my arm will dump about 100pounds of canned goods down the stairs into the basement(which will be black, as the light switch is next to me, and at night, there is literally no available light.

I have complete ambush and cover built in. I simply can't be hit until the bad guy has already been in direct line of sight for seconds. But I'm doomed if they bust in and catch me unawares. The rest of the home is wide open and the longest distance is maybe seven yards. I might not even make it to my concealed weapons.

Anyone who does have a traditional closed stairwell could keep a toy box, case of food, anything that could trip up a bad guy on hand. For that matter, the halon or co2 fire extinguisher will make it a pretty hostile place to be. Even a bug bomb.

The thing you have to convince yourself of is that either way, you wait in ambush, and own the high ground. They can't even hope to be prepared if they come after you, up or down stairs. You need to find out how and where to bake your stand, and if you can, put obstacles in the way aye. The kids box of wooden blocks and a couple bowling balls might just end the situation quickly and efficiently. He may be lying at the bottom, unconscious, with a broken ankle when the cops arrive. If you have three of them at ore on the stairs, good Lord, just imagine the chaos.

Sadly, in my situation, my probable choices will generally be to shoot and kill.

The range of my most "typical home defense encounter inside my place" is 0 feet. And its not gun related. It's "defense" against a loving 40lb lady who can't seem to ever understand that she's not a 4lb puppy anymore, and that her walking on the soft parts of me is ...uncomfortable for me.
:D

small house, very cluttered, only one spot with a 35ft line of sight distance. One door, 6' from the desk where I spend about half my time. ALL windows at least partially blocked with obstacles (shelves, display cases, woodbox, sink, stove, etc. Dedicated people could get in, but dedicated people got in on Omaha beach, too.

About like my cat. She likes being on the top of the couch, but she's so "firmly built" th a either way, up or down, takes two steps having a 75 pound cat use your nads as a launch/landing pad can certainly ruin an evening.

Every cat learns the pain points of the human body, and how to dance like a ballerina. Get some cat the size of a Christmas turkey dancing on her toes on your stomach as she jumps into bed puts fifteen pounds per square Inc. Just like a bullet. Most of the energy in a bullet is expended in making a holes and most of the energy expended by a cat landing on you is expended displacing soft tissues and organs.

My cat is an "alarm cat", and pretty dependable. Walks up the length of me every morning, missing NO vital spots, stops with her nose about 1/2" from mine, and says "why aren't you up yet??"

Also, I have learned that an empty food bowl disables her "snooze button". :D

if her bowl is empty, she will keep coming back, or just sit on my chest, until I do get up. Like me, she's old and fat, so fortunately there's very little jumping, but having a 15lb cat walk on your stomach is not something I can sleep through. Like it was said, like a bullet, its a force (LBS)/surface area thing. The dog is heavier, but has wider paws, so overall its about equal. :D

You have wisdom.

The only other cat that really posed a threat to life and limb was a little guy who never learned what his claws did.

"Hey, if I use these things I can run all the way up his back to his head and see what he's making for dinner!" I never bled so much.
Want a secret weapon? Throw a cat in the guys face. At the very least he's probably a cat hater and hell try to kill it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back