Range of 80% of your hunting shots

I've worked this out before, for the last 10 years, but I don't remember what the end result was. I do remember that it was longer than I expected.

Thinking out loud...
650 (called shot - left eye ;) - but using a borrowed rifle with ammunition that I'd never fired :o)
75/25 (first / second)
and a few more in the 125-225 range.

...For an average of 219 yards. (Elk and Antelope.)
Some of those longer shots were taken before I learned the area where we've been antelope hunting lately. Having a much better understanding of the area now, I wouldn't repeat those shots. I'd wait for something closer. ....But you'd still be looking at 200 yards being an "easy" shot, and I wouldn't hesitate unless there were 60 mph crosswinds (and then I might just have to think about it a little more ;)).

All of the above were taken with .270 Win and .30-06, with .444 Marlin and .243 Win taking one animal apiece.

Excluding some jack rabbits @ 250 to 300 yds with a 25-06 Rem, everything has been under 75 yds. I "still hunt" (or use to) and get in close. Consequently, I've given up my long range hunting tools (300 Win Mag BAR, 25-06 Rem Winchester Model 70 and a 25-06 Rem Ruger #1) and have regretted doing so.

Of the past twenty deer I've killed, twelve were 100 yards and under, four were between 100 and 200 yards, three were between 200 and 250 yards, and one was at 320 yards. All of the wild hogs I've killed were 100 yards and under.

I have deer from 3 yards to 1005, Pronghorn from 35-690 and elk from 60 to 505. When I hunt in Colorado, the 80% number is close to 200 yards. My last 4 tags were 225 (Elk yesterday), 690 (2013 Pronghorn), 110 (2013 Deer) and 310 (2013 Elk). When I hunt in other states with less open areas, it is under 100 for sure.

If we add in Varmints and such, it probably stays right at 200 yards.

It depends on my hunting location/state.

When I hunted back east: 100 yards

When I hunted in the west (mostly AZ) about 200-250.
(My longest shot was 350 yards)

Here in NH I would say the furthest has been 65 with my muzzleloader, I have seen deer further but have never had the right firearm in hand to shoot at em at the time.

Over 50 or so years of deer hunting, I guess my average shot was about 30 - 40 yards. Some further, out to 190 or so, some closer. Closest shot was out of ground blind with a .54 muzzleloader. Muzzle was about a foot from the deer when I touched it off. Muzzle flash burned the hide, and there were powder flecks imbedded in the meat. Had absolutely no idea I was there. Didn't take too much credit for shooting ability for that one.

Grew up hunting in PA in the shotgun only part. Never shot a deer over 60 yards even with the slug gun. Took the rifle out once and shot a doe at about 40 yards. I have shot a doe with the slug gun at less then 10 yards. I have access to some smaller properties where it is archery only and that is most of my hunting. 10-30 yards with most at 20 or less. I shot 1 deer at 40 yards.

I would say that 95%+ of the deer I have shot have been under 30 yards.

On another forum I saw a similar thread and the consensus was about 90% are 200 yds or less, with about 70% being 100 yds or less

With all the talk, and all the money spent on "long range" guns, even the Western hunters don't usually shoot very far on a regular basis.

Most of mine are less than 200, even though I have more than one stand where I can see close to 1/2 mile in more than one direction

On the whole, the closer you make the kill the more likely the higher your hunting skill level is. (Close being relative; close in Eastern woods is not the same as close in Western prairie.)

Any target shooter who can hit a bulls eye can hit an animal at a fair distance, but it takes a hunter to sneak up close. I believe it's the English who say 'the hunt is in the stalk'.

On another forum I saw a similar thread and the consensus was about 90% are 200 yds or less, with about 70% being 100 yds or less

With all the talk, and all the money spent on "long range" guns, even the Western hunters don't usually shoot very far on a regular basis.

Most of mine are less than 200, even though I have more than one stand where I can see close to 1/2 mile in more than one direction

On Texas Hunting Forum, there was a similar thread for night vision/thermal hunts and instead of 200 yards, pretty much 90% were under 100 yards (as the norm).

A lot has to do with terrain and visibility, but a lot also has to do with what people think they can make as a good shot and a good shot on a stationary target is much easier to make at longer ranges than on a living target. So people have their long range rifles, but still hunt at more convenient distances.

I know I have run into the problem of not even being able to locate the exact spot where I shot an animal (that ran) in order or find the blood trail. It is a lot easier to find the blood trail if you can find the exact spot where the animal is shot and find that spot is often easier if the animal is at closer range.

Unlike what shows up on some of the TV shows where guys are shooting 800 yards from mountain peak to mountain peak and the shooter has a spotter and a shooting coach (guide) to walk the shooter through the process, the rest of us usually hunt alone or in loose pairs. We don't have support crews. So we usually do what is most reasonable...which usually isn't shooting all that terribly far. We get close enough to make a good shot, or closer.

My shots vary upon the terrain and animal hunted.

- antelope: 275 yards on average (.243 is ideal)
- elk: 175 yards
- deer: 75 yards

Jack

Of the 60 plus whitetails I have shot, Id say only one was more than 300 yds, most being taken under 75 yds, I shot my buck this year at almost 200 yds, but I tend to shoot deer seconds after spotting them, hardly ever waiting for them to walk closer, only 6 or so under 20 yds.

This year my gun shots were 30 yards (rifle) and 5 yards (handgun) on deer.

I'd say less than 50 yards is normal for me, and almost always within a hundred. Bow hunting has taught me patience and skills to get closer to big game animals, and I'd much rather take a close shot if I have the option.

Only a handful of my deer have been 120 yards or more. All of my bears, within 35. Coyotes, all within 50 yards.

I only shoot as far as I feel comfortable! In a good box with a great rest and capable rifle 250 is my max! I've lost a deer before and couldn't sleep because of it! I even quit hunting in the evenings for a few years because of it! I hope most of us figure out our max at the range rather than in the field! With all that said a shot beyond 150 yards is rare down here in louisiana!

When I'm on a lease, I usually cut my shooting lanes about 80-100 yards from my stand. On public land, shots are anywhere from right on top of you to 50 yards. It's pretty thick woods around here.

Back