range discussion

tipoc

I thought it was was a rather useless subject to argue about.

I guess i was surprised that no one asked me while I was there shooting a sig sauer p220 which I do carry most of the time.

And I was very surprised that it was about two of the most reliable guns not the only ones but two very reliable weapons just the same and not about caliber which is what most are always debating.

besides it's fun to listen to.:D

Gotta love the Glock fanboys arguing about which pistol is more reliable, of course it's the Glock because the interwebs says so.

Realistically, most quality handguns made from a reputable manufacturer are just as reliable as the next. There is nothing groundbreaking about Glock's that set it so far apart from other pistols on the market, as hard as that may be to believe for some people. I have owned several guns from several brands that have not had a single failure to feed or eject in thousands of rounds, and guess what, they weren't Glock's :eek:

The only people that get into those types of conversations are the ones who have very little experience with any weapons other than their own....

Go for Borh

Haha, you are all wrong. H&K all the way!!:)
I'm just kidding. But there are obvious good choices and obvious bad choices and when it comes to Sig vs. Glock both are great high performers. Both are mass produced and are issued in the thousands to multiple government agencies. I agree with most already stated. As long as it can be narrowed down to good models from good brands it boils down the shooter and what they like. I find it ridicules that people could get that heated over that comparison.

Well beamer 256

As mentioned by some one the people that get into these discussions are those that are most likely not real experienced or only have experience with the ONE weapon that they own.

Like you and many others i own a lot of different brands I have some that are and alway have been 100% and those that have not and guess what I've had glocks that have malfunctions, oops sorry I just cussed didn't I.:D

My range is in the field behind my house so unless I invite someone over to do some shooting I am fortunate enough to be by myself. I try not to get involved in arguments. My first and only wife left me because I would not argue with her.....:D..... To me they are a waste of time. YMMV....;)

I am another not in favor of getting into arguments, I avoid them if at all possible. I just want to relax, enjoy myself and have fun shooting my guns.
What works for you is whatever floats your boat, iwb, owb, glock, colt, h&k, taurus, s&w etc..You don't have to defend your choice to me and I won't defend my choice to you.

I have had some very good conversations during cease fires that started simply with me asking, "What ya shooting?" Most people light with that question and start chattin' away! Soon, it seems like we're long time friends.

Of course, I start out with the premise that all guns are good and that each of us finds something special in the guns we shoot. I like learning about other guns. Best of all, most of the time the conversation ends up with both of us shooting each other's guns and having a fun range experience. There's no counting how many different guns I've shot!!

Maybe I take this "gun community" thing too literally. Going to the local gun ranges is always me for a good time, some good conversation and sometimes even good shooting. Seldom do I meet a real blowhard and braggart at the ranges. Maybe it has something to do with finding what we look for.

I need to qualify my statements, at an indoor pistol range there is not very much interaction between the shooters since there is no cease fire unless someone has shot up the target holders. I do however stop to see what someone is shooting when next to a 44 Mag or some such pistol or revolver.

At the outdoor rifle range, it is completely different. During target change cease fires it is not unusual for the shooters to gather among themselves and talk about what each other is shooting. I have never seen a heated discussion between two shooters there, maybe rifle shooters are just more polite (LOL).

It is a chance to better our skills shooting and maybe learn what others like to shoot. Maybe I have been very lucky, but I find other shooters around me very pleasant and polite and helpful, even when I am shooting in an IDPA match where we are competing.

Jim

So what do you all have to say about these two subjects?
Nothing, they are opinions and opinions are neither right nor wrong just ones personal thoughts and viewpoint of a product.:eek:

The only people that get into those types of conversations are the ones who have very little experience with any weapons other than their own....

It's likely true that most folks have little experience with weapons or gear other than their own. Discussions and debates are just part of figuring things out. Without that where would gun forums be? Some one asking a question and receiving a polite and informative response? Sometimes but as often not.

"Heated arguments" usually aren't too useful and are a sign that people can be unsure of their opinions even while forcefully arguing for them, that they have become emotionally involved with their purchase, or that some troll is involved, etc.

Whether it's fantasy football, fishing gear, trucks, or guns and gear...folks will debate and discuss and sometimes get angry. It happens on these forums. I don't see a rush of people leaving them because it does.

tipoc

fishing gear

LOL, now those are fighting words (LOL). I hate bait casting reels, I just can't use them. Every one should be using Spin Casting or at the least Fly Rods. (LOL)

Jim

It would seem, I am much more passionate about my fishing gear than I am about my fire arms. (LOL)

Last edited:
I do love my Glock.
However, if finances ever allow I'd love to have the chance to love a Sig (or an HK, or maybe even another 1911).

I tend to have the best draw times from OWB, and so for classes/training I tend to go that way, but it's hard to beat a 5:00 IWB for concealment.
A shoulder rig is the best option I've found for getting to my gun when I'm dressed for a Maine winter.

What and how you carry is a bit too complex to have one single right answer. It's actually pretty awesome that we live in a time where we have so many good options that these debates are possible.

It's not like with chainsaws, where Stihl is clearly superior in every way to Husqvarna. :)

So what do you all have to say about these two subjects?

1. Both Sigs and Glocks are extremely reliable and it's stupid to argue about which is more reliable....really stupid!

2. OWB, IWB - not a fan of either. I pocket carry.

I shoot at 3 ranges. None of them tolerate heated discussions of any kind. They tell the drama queens involved to leave immediately if another word is spoken. The drama queens all kept mouthing. The drama queens were tossed. Seen it happen at all 3 ranges. These were all people that I had never seen before or after the occurrence.

Back