Random Snap Caps?

He said it will also drill me to quickly tap, rack and fire.

Negative. Only tap, rack and fire when you KNOW the hammer landed on an empty chamber or snap cap. (Unless of course you have a dud or misfire in a REAL emergency.)

In the situation you describe the "click" may be because of a snap cap or it may have been a dud that just lodged a bullet in your barrel. Quickly loading one behind it and dropping the hammer could ruin a good handgun and may cause personal injury.

If you know it was a snap cap you've defeated the purpose of loading them randomly.

Excellent point Sport45, slap, tap and rack is an emergency only technique and not a good practice at the range in the case of a hangfire or dud.

While the snap caps do help with diagnosis and not as much with the cure I'll add that using snap caps during a dry fire session provides a good time to also practice slap, tap and rack at the same time to be sure the rack is aggressive enough to fully eject throwing the shell out and not just resetting the trigger. During a dry fire session I would also recommend (if your firearm is equipped with manual safety) switching the safety on and off with each pull of the trigger as if you just pulled the firearm from a holstered position to create the habit of sweeping the safety off to fire.

Stealth01 good advice on the 22's as a flinch still occurs (if it has been developed) even when shooting these smaller rounds. Good cheap practice, I just don't understand how you got 3 flyers all down the left edge to cut such clean holes!

JohnKSa great info and detail.

I love snap caps, I have one in every caliber I own because I train my wife on how to load and operate the weapons for SD a lot.

I love lasers and snap caps for dry fire off the range because you can just tape a target to the wall and see in real time everything you are doing on that target. If you flinch the laser is all over the place, if you jerk the trigger it tells you, and you can see if your sight alignment is off because you look down your sights center mass and your laser says otherwise (if sighted correctly that is)

You can also see how fast it takes you to bring the weapon back on target while firing, it can tell you your natural point of aim from a draw, and tons of other valuable pieces of information.

You can even set up a camera and video record yourself at an angle to see target and your draw and stance to see what you are doing in dry fire. play it back and see to the .01 of a second how long it took you to align the sights and take a shot.

If nothing else it will make dry fire a bit more fun right? I don't get much time to go to the range so I dry fire a lot.

Great info guys!! Thanks
I learn something new every time I'm on this forum, but that may be because I still have so much to learn.:confused:

Put a dime on the end of the barrel with a snap cap loaded... If the dime hits the ground when you pull the trigger you are still jerking....

Going to a 22 and shooting was an excellent suggestion... Less noise and recoil should help you address the problem and then step back up... Lots of shooters shoot smaller guns than there target gun for practice just to keep from flinching when it comes time for a match....

Last edited:
Going to a 22 and shooting was an excellant suggestion... Less noise and recoil should help you address the problem and then step back up

How about a .38 revolver for that. I already have one of those. It's quieter and less recoil than a 9mm

Its not a bad choice but a 22 or even a pellet gun would be better.. but I understand we all can only afford so much.. believe me if it was up to me Id have a new gun weekly...

Back