Rampaging Animal - Scenario

This isn't name callingfor the sake of name calling... :rolleyes:

She seriously got spit on the other day by a vietnam vet. Good for him. :D

LMAOROLF!!! I had heard that story and about crashed my car I was laughing so hard...seems this guy had been waiting some 35 years to do that. He even had chewing tobacco in his mouth when he did it!!!
With that type of dedication to the fullfilment of his mission...obviously a Marine!!

Wonderful...in addition to a panicked horse, have a panicked wounded horse.

Sometimes methinks there's a bit too much rationalization attempting to find something justifiable to shoot. Usually it's dogs...and normally there, unless it's some mutt mistreated to be psychotic, those can be bluffed down. And the bluffs even work on the stunning collection of miscreant rez mutts here in paradise. (Incidentally some pit bulls were used as therapy dogs for disabled kids,,,so not all were bred to 'kill'.) Bears- black bears are more of a (*(*&^ nuisance than anything else, and usually appropriate precautions will preclude needing to try to kill it. And anyway, usually with the report of a firearm they're bound for the next county. Lions, oopsie, if one of those is after you, probably the first you'll know about it is when it lands on top of you.

Perhaps there could be a few more threads about the glories of punching holes in paper. Or about the wonders of carrying a CCW, and how rare it is to even access it, let alone use it.

But then again, up here in the northern hinterlands...there's too many horses anyway...And they're all big and scary. And the rez mutts, eat kids (or sometimes the kids eat them? Always confused about that one...)
Think my kel tec p-32 is adequete to deal with these free roaming menaces?
Especially before we all disappear into maws red with blood, or have our precious remains trampled into the sodden soil.

Hey Faraway, I was going to use some of your post to quote, but it was so damn good, and right on, I would have had to quote your entire post. :D

The only place I'd differ with you is in the carry. The horse described in the scenario is a domestic animal ( as oppossed to the wild mustangs up your way, if there are any left), and there is no excuse for shooting it. A moose (huge wild animal) will charge during rutting season, and I agree regarding the Black Bear, but in the last several years they have become quite pesky here. So when I'm in the wilds I usually carry a .357.

Thanks for the complement.

Back home (central Colorado) used to carry a .357 also. Mainly for signalling (I know it's a dead tradition, but was taught the 3 shots/lost person thing), and for pot meat or etc. Used the report a time or two to convince bears to remove themselves from the porch, or quit various idiot endeavors. Lions, very rarely saw them, usually the Spitz knew they were there, and the presence was later shown by tracks.
Here, a few lions wondering about, some canines which look entirely too close to a wolf, but little in the way of moose. Those usually don't get too far into this part of Montana. Remote place, but many of the potential predator animals here have been shot at so much, that they aren't much of a concern. Plus, although it vexes the ranchers, some here are interested to watch the wolves, lions and such moving back...along with the Buffalo. Symbolic culturally...

In the wilds here, the biggest real concern is the occasional bummer or crankheaded idiot...so in those terms a Makarov, the Kel Tec, or a good dose of sense is all that's needed.

For those who say fire a warning shot into the air... where do you think the bullet will end up? What goes up must come down. When a bullet comes down, it may end up killing someone. If a warning shot must be fired, shoot it into the ground or into a tree if there is one nearby.
Not trying to get too horribly off topic, but has there ever been a confirmed report of this happening?
As I understand physics, after the bullet reached the peak of its ascent and began to fall it would have lost all of the kinetic energy given to it by the powder in the cartridge and only be falling as fast as gravity will pull it back to earth. Its just like the whole penny from the empire state building, it might give someone a bit of a bruise on their head, but I doubt it would break skin...

As for the horse, just like in most any other situation, I think gunplay should be reserved for a last resort.

Militant Bob said:
Not trying to get too horribly off topic, but has there ever been a confirmed report of this happening?
As I understand physics, after the bullet reached the peak of its ascent and began to fall it would have lost all of the kinetic energy given to it by the powder in the cartridge and only be falling as fast as gravity will pull it back to earth. Its just like the whole penny from the empire state building, it might give someone a bit of a bruise on their head, but I doubt it would break skin...

Bob, you are right in saying that a bullet has lost all of its kinetic energy when it hits the peak of its ascent. You will have to calculate how high that is given the caliber of gun. For the energy coming down, calculate the bullet dropped from that height. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object will reach when acted upon based on gravity and against air friction. A bullet has a pretty small profile while being very dense, giving it a very high terminal velocity.

To make a long story short, yes, people have been killed by falling bullets. It happens almost every New Year's Eve in Miami when some idiot goes popping off a bunch of rounds into the air in a densely packed residential neighborhood. Look it up if you want but know that it happens in real life.

Back