Radom VIS P-35 or Star BM 9mm?

No flaming necessary.

Now, if you're truly collecting, and are concerned about maintaining the value of the weapon (or, hopefully appreciating, if you're lucky), wouldn't that preclude shooting to the extent that you need to replace parts? Doesn't replacing parts de-value the weapon (as does frequent shooting from wearing out the bore)?

Well aren't you assuming quite a bit of things. Based on your posts, I assume you never heard of a Radom pistol before this thread. Do you not realize that the gun was originally a military sidearm designed around and for the 9mm? So you think it may not last as long....becase its....old? Polish? Whats your reasoning? Many older guns are better made than many today. My grandfather liberated a Radom and shot the snot out of it, because back then, it was nothing special, back in the 50s and 60s. The odds of someone shooting a radom, with responsibility of course, to the point where parts need replaced is VERY unlikely. I could see grips breaking, but as for the hardware IE the essential pieces, it should take 1000s if not 10s of thousands of rounds before there would be anything that needed replaced.

People seem to think that an older gun is more fragile or that shooting devalues it, but when you think about it, many guns, including military issue guns, were meant to be shot. In cases such as my luger, which has a SN in 15 places including the firing pin, perhaps then the pieces cannot be replaced, but in general? These guns can handle a lot of use and period replaced pieces which are not serialized is not a big deal. Any gun accepted for use by a military is commonly endurance tested, because it is expected to be used.

Nothing wrong with buying a milsurp and shooting it until you wear it out...I just think a modern firearm is more suitable as a daily shooter for many reasons.

A hasty generalization. A milsurp P38, hi power, radom, etc is a much better gun than a bryco, raven, rohm, commanche, etc. It depends on which vintage gun and which modern gun you're talking about. Questioning the durability of a military accepted arm made in the last 50 or even a 100 years is an exercise in futility. Guns don't age the way we do.

Winchester,
Thank you for your comments.
Your points are understood, and well taken.

Far as durability and usefulness, you're preaching to the choir. I built a near-MOA long range target rifle from a (non-collectible!!) 91/30 action- and it's my everyday shooter. I love the challenge of seeing what these old firearms can do. A CZ-82 is my CC weapon, as well...

I love the challenge of seeing what these old firearms can do. A CZ-82 is my CC weapon, as well...

Wow, for a few hundred dollars more you could have bought a Glock.
Kidding. :D

The CZ-82 is on my wish list. ;)

Have a Radom 1943, Walther P38 AC45 and Luger S42 1937 all with Nazi proof marks. The Radom is the only one I shoot, the radom is overbuilt for a 9MM. The small parts like firing pins and springs are availiable for the Radom though nothing has ever broken yet.

Have a Radom 1943, Walther P38 AC45 and Luger S42 1937 all with Nazi proof marks. The Radom is the only one I shoot, the radom is overbuilt for a 9MM. The small parts like firing pins and springs are availiable for the Radom though nothing has ever broken yet.

That's great to hear. :)
I have seen spring kits and misc. parts on GunBroker for the Radom and was thinking of maybe grabbing some spare parts cuz, well ... ya never know. ;)

I have a Star BM in 9mm luger and its a solid little 9mm pistol.

I would consider the CZ82 in 9mm mak. I have a few of these are there awesome shooters. With the price tag of around $200 the "most bang for the buck meter" is hard to beat quality wise. All my cz pistols (cz85db, cz83's, cz82's, cz50)have been flawless. having the double action on the first shot is nice too so there is no need to carry it cocked and locked.

Dino, I have a Star Super A (9mm Largo) and would love to pick up the Super B which is 9mm. Stars look great, shoot great, take down with ease. The Supers have a magazine safety, a thumb safety, loaded cartridge indicator, are almost 1911's - put one on top of a Colt and you can check this out.

Mine is also accurate. Having said all this they do break! In three years I have replaced: firing pin, loaded cartridge indicator, slide hold back, magazine catch and 2 take down levers. Thank God for a gent in Spain.

By the way, I love the gun.

I bought an old Star BS for a couple hundred bucks, and I like shooting it, except for the hammer bite, once I took the magazine safety out. I found a guy on a Star pistol board who bought much of the stock from Echivarria when they closed the company, and he sold me a firing pin, an extractor, some grips and two spare mags for a fairly affordable price, just in case something breaks on mine. Probably the same place the last poster got his. Just be careful to buy one in 9mm Parabellum, not 9mm Largo, which is much rarer and more expensive to shoot.

So, if you decide to get the Star, there are parts out there, you just have to look a little.

Back