Quiz: What guns did these TV cops/detectives carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S&W Model 29 44 mag

"But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

Jim Reed (Kent McCord) and Pete Malloy (Martin Milnor) started with 6inch barrel S&W model 14 and ended with 4 inch S&W model 15. Both models were actually issued to LAPD officers.

T.J. Hooker I believe carried a 4 inch Colt Trooper MKIII.

Robert McCall carried a Walther PPK in .380.

Bill Gannon carried a 4 inch S&W model 15 in the last two seasons.

Joe Friday carried a 2 inch Colt Detective Special at first and in the later seasons a 2 inch S&W model 10 (M&P).

Thomas Magnum carried a Colt 1911 in 9MM not 45 ACP as most had thought.

I believe Ponch and Jon (CHiPs) both carried 4 inch S&W model 66. Bariksa (CHiPs) carried a 4 inch Colt Python.

Oh and JERRYS. I agree. In fact I now have two Pythons. One is a 6 inch and the other a 4 inch. Hutch started out with a 2 inch .38 Special and he switched to a 4 inch Python then in the 8th episode he switched to the 6 inch. John Millius wanted a gun that had a visual impact on par with Eastwood's 29-2 (Dirty Harry).

Last edited:
Joe Friday (50s) - Cold Detective Special
Joe Friday (60s-70s) - Smith & Wesson Model 10 Snub
Frank Smith (Joe's Partner) - Smith & Wesson M&P Revolver in Nickel
Bill Gannon (Joes 60s partner) - Smith & Wesson Model 15
Magnum P.I. - colt MK IV/Series 70 Gov't Model
Elliot Ness (The 1960s Untouchables) - Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket & Colt Official Police
Peter Gunn - ?
Robert McCall: The Equalizer - Walther PPK/s
Jessica Fletcher (just kidding...or if you can think of an episode where she used a gun...name it) - hahaha
TJ Hooker - Colt Trooper MK III
Jim Reed and Pete Malloy (Adam-12) - Smith & Wesson Model 14
Fox Mulder (X-Files) - Taurus PT92, Glock 19, SIG P226, SMith & Wesswon 5906
Naked City cops - Colt Police Positive Special
Phillip Gerard (The Fugitive) - ?
Harry Fox (Crazy Like a Fox...remember that? Underrated show ) - ?
CHIPS (can't remember their names...Pacho and someone) - Colt Python 380
Steve McGarrett (Hawaii Five O) - Smith & Wesson Model 36

Curious how we'd know or why it is suggested that Thomas Magnum in "Magnum PI" used a 1911 in 9mm as opposed to what is far more likely?

I read an article on that very 1911. They stated that 45 ACP blanks that could operate the slide were unavailable at the time but the 9MM version was so they went with the 9MM pistol. Like everyone else I originally thought it was a 45, that is until I read the article.

Well, seems reasonable-- but that doesn't necessarily mean it was supposed to have been "portraying" a 9mm 1911, for lack of a better term.

What I mean is, for all intents and purposes, the show director wanted his main character to have a "GI .45, exactly like he had in Vietnam" so regardless of technical details... Thomas Magnum used a .45.

Good lord... This thread petered out 11 years ago. No reason to bring it back just to respond as if it were first posted yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back