Quiz: What guns did these TV cops/detectives carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug.38PR

Joe Friday (50s)
Joe Friday (60s-70s)
Frank Smith (Joe's Partner)
Bill Gannon (Joes 60s partner)
Magnum P.I.
Elliot Ness (The 1960s Untouchables)
Peter Gunn
Robert McCall: The Equalizer
Jessica Fletcher (just kidding...or if you can think of an episode where she used a gun...name it)
TJ Hooker
Jim Reed and Pete Malloy (Adam-12)
Fox Mulder (X-Files)
Naked City cops
Phillip Gerard (The Fugitive)
Harry Fox (Crazy Like a Fox...remember that? Underrated show :cool: )
CHIPS (can't remember their names...Pacho and someone)
Steve McGarrett (Hawaii Five O)

Last edited:
Joe Friday (50s) - S&W Snub Nose something?
Joe Friday (60s-70s) - S&W Snub Nose something?
Frank Smith (Joe's Partner) -
Bill Gannon (Joes 60s partner)
Magnum P.I. - Colt 1911
Elliot Ness (The 1960s Untouchables) - Colt 1911
Peter Gunn -
Robert McCall: The Equalizer
Jessica Fletcher (just kidding...or if you can think of an episode where she used a gun...name it) - .44 Automag?
TJ Hooker - M9 Hairpiece Glue Dispenser?
Jim Reed and Pete Malloy (Adam-12) - S & W Model 10s?
Fox Mulder (X-Files) - SIG P-226?
Naked City cops -
Samuel Gerard (The Fugitive) -
Harry Fox (Crazy Like a Fox...remember that? Underrated show ) -
CHIPS (can't remember their names...Pacho and someone) - Clairol M9 Blow Drier?
Steve McGarrett (Hawaii Five O) - S & W M 49 Bodyguard?

Joe Friday (50s) Colt Detective Special
Joe Friday (60s-70s) S&W Model 36 Chief's Special
Frank Smith (Joe's Partner) Colt Official Police with 5" or 6" barrel
Bill Gannon (Joes 60s partner) S&W M&P 4" barrel
Magnum P.I. Colt 1911-A1
Elliot Ness (The 1960s Untouchables) Colt Official Police 4" in a Lawrence shoulder holster
Peter Gunn Colt Detective Special
Robert McCall: The Equalizer Walther PPK/s with Pachmayr rubber grips.
Jessica Fletcher (just kidding...or if you can think of an episode where she used a gun...name it)
TJ Hooker Dan Wesson He kept the extra barrels in a case in the trunk.
Jim Reed and Pete Malloy (Adam-12) Early- Colt Trooper Mark III in clamshell holsters
Fox Mulder (X-Files)
Naked City cops Colt Detective Specials
Samuel Gerard (The Fugitive)
Harry Fox (Crazy Like a Fox...remember that? Underrated show )
CHIPS (can't remember their names...Pacho and someone)
S&W Model 66. Since they hardly ever drew them and NEVER used them it's hard to tell.
Steve McGarrett (Hawaii Five O) S&W Model 36 Chief's Special with aftermarket combat grips, in a Berns-Martin type upside-down shoulder holster.

Depending on the season, Mulder carried a S&W third gen auto, Glock, or Sig 226. The S&W and Glock were probably a 5906 and 19 respectively, based on appearance and the fact that many prop guns are 9mm.

Additional note on Peter Gunn's revolver.
We got one really good close look at in one show.

Gunn is at "Mother's" when he's accosted by a huge biker-type looking for trouble.
He grabs Gunn's coat and starts making threats.
Gunn starts telling him not to make trouble, he doesn't know who Gunn is.

After being told that he doesn't know who Gunn is several times, the biker finally says "OK jerk, WHO are you"?

Gunn says "I'm the man who's going to put a .38 slug into your stomach".

The biker looks down, and we see a close-up of Gunn's Colt Detective Special pressed into the biker's belly.

The biker smiles hugely and says, "Excuse me sir, I didn't know who you were".

Regarding Adam-12. Didn't they carry the S&W Model-14 Target Masterpiece with the 6" barrel for a couple of seasons? Then they went to the 4" Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. I've read that Adam-12 was very careful about having the actors carry the same type of handguns and holsters that were issued by the LAPD. I always liked those Clamshell holsters - even if they were lousy for weapon retention. The point is that they were neat.

I loved that show as a kid. I was in 1st and 2nd grade when the show was in it's last couple of seaons (73-75). I remember sitting in front of the B&W set with my dad watching it. Adam-12 and Emergency. Great memories.:)

Additional note on Peter Gunn's revolver.
We got one really good close look at in one show.

Gunn is at "Mother's" when he's accosted by a huge biker-type looking for trouble.
He grabs Gunn's coat and starts making threats.
Gunn starts telling him not to make trouble, he doesn't know who Gunn is.

After being told that he doesn't know who Gunn is several times, the biker finally says "OK jerk, WHO are you"?

Gunn says "I'm the man who's going to put a .38 slug into your stomach".

The biker looks down, and we see a close-up of Gunn's Colt Detective Special pressed into the biker's belly.

The biker smiles hugely and says, "Excuse me sir, I didn't know who you were".
Another note on Gunn. Dad just bought a buncha episodes on DVD. I noticed his gun to be a DS too. HOWEVER in this picture of him on the box it shows him clearly pointing a 5 shot S&W J frame:

B000062XDL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Let's see,

I remember T.H.E. Cat with a Walther PP not PPK,

Joe Mannix who started out with a Custom Oldsmobile and a Walther PPK, but in the third season when to a S&W M10 2" and a Dodge, while all the Bad Guys carried PPKs.

Geoff
Who remembers Paladin renting "The longest barreled shotgun you have and two shells!"

Crockett: Bren Ten (s1-2 except pilot), S&W 645 (s3-4), S&W 4506 (s5)
Anyone caught what guns Keith Mars uses in the (unfortunately obscure) show Veronica Mars?

The question about CHIPS is not a fair question.I mean,even after the BG tries to run them over,leads them on a 100+ mph chase,then overturns his car and tries to run for it,they NEVER ONCE pulled their guns out of the holsters...

Ooops, I mean't Phillip Gerard (the TV Fugitive version)

However, I thought Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones) had a GLock 17 9mm That movie I thought was made a little before police started going to .40 cal

TJ Hooker used a 4 inch Smith & Wesson Model 19, not a Dan Wesson

Haha and it's nickel, not knickle

Never caught that Gunn has a 5 shot J frame on the cover, but he definitely used a DS. I've seen other stuff on imfdb where they swap out guns a lot in movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back