quite the shootist

Even if I had the time & money, I still wouldn't have the eyes & reaction speed he has. That's what separates professional athletes from duffers.

Required in Germany. A Hunter's Safety course there is a 2 year Community College course.
There is indeed quite a difficult/extensive exam, but I hadn't heard of a 2 year training course requirement. As far as I can tell, passing the exam is the actual requirement, not how many hours of training has been taken or how the training was administered. Do you have a link for Germany hunting requirements that includes a 2 year Community College course?

I never get tired of watching those Albrecht vids...;)

jackstrawIII said:
My question would be, how does one become this proficient? What sort of targets do you even practice on?

Running Boar Competition is popular in some places in Europe. I suppose that'd be a good start…:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5dFQiQJfds

blackwidowp61 said:
He shoots 300 Win Mag and a 7X64. Both are custom guns and I believe both have muzzle brakes. The Merkel Helix has a straight pull-back bolt, but I have seen him operate a standard bolt action just as fast. Amazing shooter.

In at least one of those clips, he's shooting a Sauer 202, which is a more standard bolt design.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there use this method of shooting running game (ie: swinging from behind the animal through the front of the animal in order to align your sight picture before shooting)? Would it work the same with open sights?

Just my 2 cents.

Post and drives.
Easy to kill knowing where one's quarry is likely to follow game trails in {Follow the leader behaviour.}
Standing while shooting puts the fellow 10 ft above ground on a hill side with a Aimpoint having a red dot {battery lite} A muzzle brake ~shooting 7X64. That high above ground garners a very good field of view. Especially in near open ground having little to no under growth.

Rifle seen is a dandy Merkel quite simular to a Sig Sauer 202. Both are the smoothest cycling bolt rifles ever exported from Germany. Some believe Sako's are just as smooth in their cycling. "My experience. Nope!! Sako is not as smooth." Although I'm pretty sure there was some picture cropping after the filming.

"Easy to kill knowing where one's quarry is likely to follow game trails in {Follow the leader behaviour.}"
I don't know of a whole lot of game animals that don't follow fairly predictable behavior, including following game trails, and I don't know of a lot of hunters who don't try to take every advantage of that behavior in order to get a chance to shoot that animal.

"Standing while shooting puts the fellow 10 ft above ground on a hill side with a Aimpoint having a red dot {battery lite}....That high above ground garners a very good field of view. Especially in near open ground having little to no under growth."
Once again, I don't know of any hunter not taking every advantage he/she can possibly get in order to raise his/her chances of shooting an animal. For example, if I have permission from the land owner to do so, I will even clear shooting lanes through the woods in order to have a clear shot at a deer. Is doing this a guarantee that I will kill a deer or even get a shot? Of course not. Does it matter if I'm shooting from above the animal (tree stand, top of a hill), on the same level as the animal or from below the level of the animal? Again, not really. It takes good judgment, knowledge of the game, a lot of practice and skill to shoot any animal, particularly if that animal is running.

"Although I'm pretty sure there was some picture cropping after the filming."
I'm not quite sure what you are implying by making this statement. Are you saying that Franz Albrecht or someone else is somehow doctoring the video in some way? To what purpose?

Sure Shot Mc Gee said:
Easy to kill

The shooter's position might make the shots possible, but there was nothing "easy" about them. Multiple small rapidly-moving targets and 1-shot hits to the CNS, resulting in instant kills. The only 2nd shot needed was on a target running through dense trees, also an instant kill. It'd be a rare individual who could pull off any one of those kills, methinks.

Back