Quigley Rifle Match: Rifle Advice.

I'll be honest I'm torn whether to go for the MVAs or settle for the Lee Shavers because I won't dare enter any competition until I've shot quite a bit.

Well, congratulations on buying that rifle. I was just looking at that rifle yesterday. I was considering buying for deer season this year. I have a Sharps with the 34" barrel and wanted a rolling block or sharps with a 30" barrel. I believe that it will balance better when shooting off hand vs my Sharps that is forward heavy. You are going to love shooting that rifle.

Ok I’m back for more dumb questions. And I’m not sure if I should start another post or not so I’ll try here first.

Cast Bullets for BPRC. I understand that softer alloys or even pure lead is used in muzzleloaders for aid in loading of the firearm as well as expanding to fit the rifling and capture gases which aid in propulsion and reduce lead fouling. I also understand that cast bullets have lube grooves which are filled with BP safe lubes. Now. I don’t have the ability to cast my own and probably won’t for some time and I’m coming up short online at finding soft cast bullets or any at a reasonable price. So, my question is. Can I use hard cast bullets of 1 Thousands over bore with black powder lube in a metallic cartridge gun. A local place carries Cast Bullets .459 405gr RNFP without lube in the grooves. Will my accuracy suffer greatly or terrible lead fouling or what. Just kinda want to hear some opinions. I’ve been scouring the web and forums but nobody quite has the same question.

Thanks.

FWIW I've got a set of the Lee Shaver economy sights on my Pedersoli Sharps and a set of MVA on my CPA Stevens. The Shaver sights will work fine. Their windage adjustment is the only real downside to me. It's harder to fine tune. If you're really serious, and you find a load that your rifle likes, hold out for really good sights. But it's just possible the Shaver Economy one will do all you need.

Strange, I thought the Soule windage on my Shaver Economy sight was ok but the elevation vernier was not consistent and the small diameter disc shank made the peep even darker than it had to be.

Since I replaced it with Baldwin, it was an added expense not a savings in the long run.
My mentor said "You stayed with that sight about a year too long."

I went with the Lee Shaver Economy sights. His name pops up all over forums about custom work. His site was very helpful about things I needed to measure, hell I even called the shop to ask about what height the front sight needed to be and it was Lee himself who answered the phone at 8am. So I figure the economy sights will give me a good taste for the sport. And his shop is about 2 hours from my hometown so I couldn’t resist giving a “local guy” business.

So I’ll give you guys my honest review when they show up and get some shots off.

You won’t be happy with the 405gr out at the 2 longer targets at Quigley. You’re going to need a 520gr bullet if you want to be competitive.

Back