quietest .22 lr handgun ever?

Yes.

Yes.

Not completely silently, but there are some that are pretty quiet.

The .32 caliber Nagant revolver seals the gap between the barrel and cylinder during the moment of firing. I have seen video of one fitted with a silencer.

Moving to NFA.

I know you can get a bolt lock for Ruger 10/22s, so a 10/22 Charger would work...not sure about any other handguns though.

No... you can have a suppressed semi auto... the loudest thing will be the action working. which depending on the model can be quite silent. you can also install buffers in certain makes to reduce the noise of the slide rebounding. the bolt on a Ruger with a good buffer would seem potentially quieter then a slide to me, anyone agree?

-would a pump action .22 rifle be real quiet with a silencer?
why not? your going to make noise pumping it. probably similar to semi action working

-can a semiautomatic handgun be modified to not blowback and instead be cocked every time?
yes... its called a slide lock I think several have replied to your original inquiry.

-is there a handgun or small rifle that can chamber a load fast (not break action) w/out releasing noise?
anytime you have moving parts or loading on a firearm it will make noise. What exactly are you trying to do? your questions are confusing.

-is there any current production revolvers(w/ threaded barrel) that seal between the barrel and chamber?
Not to my knowledge its a complex and unnecessary that requires specially made cartridges . PS you can get any barrel threaded. Just take it to a good smith.

I'm a little confused here.

How would:

(1) a semi-auto that's rigged to require manual recocking/reloading for each shot,
or:
(2) a pump rifle that requires manual recocking/reloading,

be any quieter than a bolt action rifle that also requires manual recocking/reloading for each shot???

Also, to answer your initial question, years ago I had a Winchester Model 67 single shot .22 rifle that had a 27" barrel and was incredibly quiet with standard velocity long rifles and almost completely silent with shorts. When a short was fired, it sounded about like a small twig being snapped.

I was shooting 22 shorts and 22 low velocity yesterday through my J Stephens break barrel single shot .22 pistol and they sounded like a Pop Cap gun without hearing protection on.

I barely registered the shot through the 6 inch barrel with the shorts and the low velocity rounds.

sound

Three noises a gun creates.
1. bullet breaking the sound barrier.
Answer- sub sonic bullets.
2.action of gun.
Answer- less moving parts. single shots or bolt guns.
3.Expanding gases.
Answer. closed action,long barrel,suppressor,less powder.

In a pistol, a contender with 14" barrel a large volume suppressor shooting the weakest charged heaviest projectile you could find.
However this is a poor shooting weapon. It would be long and bulky, inaccurate and ineffective.

In a pistol, a contender with 14" barrel a large volume suppressor shooting the weakest charged heaviest projectile you could find.
However this is a poor shooting weapon. It would be long and bulky, inaccurate and ineffective.

You are saying the contender pistol is inaccurate? Mine is not. It is about the same as my Marlin and Ruger 10/22 rifles (non match grade) as accuracy is concerned. Better than my 10 inch bull barrel Buckmark, Winchester 06 and wayyyyyyy better than my P-22. Yeah it is a long bulky break open single shot, but if you hit the target on the first shot, then that is all you need.

Ranb

Im VERY happy shooting my S&W 41 with a Soundtech Can it has a slide dampener and is mouse fart quiet.:D Also the sights are fully useable and this HUSH puppy is a tack driver.

attachment.php

Attachments

• M-41 S&W.jpg
    M-41 S&W.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 892
Last edited:
How silent do you want it? Even a semi auto .22 pistol is extremely quiet with a good silencer. Rack the slide with some vigor and that is about as loud as it gets. I could easily shoot in a backyard and not have the neighbors know what was going on.

Here is my 10/22 semi auto rifle with SWR Spectre and you can hear its almost dead silent even with the action moving. For an idea of how loud, listen to the end and you hear the hammer drop on an empty chamber and its almost as loud as the action cycling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IEihyQRpAE

Back