Quiet safety?

Remington 700 safeties don't make noise if you learn to put your thumb on top of them to minimize noise. Pushing from behind may click a bit, but I've shot a lot of game and none have noticed.

BTW: Timney trigger mechanisms for the 700 have very smooth, quiet safeties.

My Tikka T3 safety is quiet as is my new Browning x bolt, my Model 7 has to be pushed slowly for it to be silent, the safety on my Knight disc which is just like my model 7 safety is very quiet but then again, that rifle is 20 yrs old and has been used alot. I have never spooked any game animal while clicking off the safety on any rifle.

I realize 700 safety has work arounds. I have alway been lucky and rememberEd with all my guns. But never know when big one comes in, and get excited.

My 700 is old, I have thought about timney. I just couldn't get an answer, to if they are better.

Can deer really hear as good as we worry? I have done some things with does close, in box blind. Does are not monster bucks.

It just surprisea me, they don't do better. They advertise same trigger in cheap 700s as higher end models. And they are loud, IMO.

Savages not bad. But takes Finnish rifle to get it right.

Browning are Jap, which I don't want.

Montanas not cheap, but thought the one I handled awful. Portuguese 70 sucked. Ruger 77 so-so. I have been curios about Mauser action too.

IMO you shouldn't have to learn how to make a safety quiete. The reflex of operating it, yes. As in where it is. And to do it.

I seriously don't know why the sound a safety makes when operated worries all of you? In my experience i have never seen a deer or any other game animal was spooked by the sound of my safety being manipulated. If they heard it they didn't seem to be bothered enough by the noise to high tail it out of the area.

It is ingrained in hunters to be quiet

I think a cluck at close range is enough to spook a buck. Maybe he won't hear it in box blind.

But if he weary, maybe thinks you are there. You know move, stop, head down, move again.

I learned to flick the safety in a loud fashion over time.
I discovered that the click of a safety can cause animals pause and give me a better shot. This works well with a trotting coyote, click, stop and look, bam dead.
With pigs, many times, they didn't even respond, some look up for a second providing a better shot.
The pause isn't long, but long enough.

Coyote is a different animal than deer, which is a prey animal.

I have heard of guts doing grunts to get them to stop. But they are moving anyways

I read through this and have come to the conclusion that where you hunt determines how quiet you have to be. Either that or some of you hunt half tame deer. I spooked a buck on the last day one year just by turning a little. I was sitting on one of those out door pillow seats, and the little swishing sound the nylon made when I turned a little and it was over. It was thick hemlocks and laurel on a steep hill side. One jump and it was gone. I don't overrate a deer's ability to hear, but am careful. Of all the deer's senses, I think sight is their number one defense once the leaves are down. You can see a squirrel at 100 yards easy when it moves. So can a deer. It is amazing how far away from you a deer will get up and sneak off.

I definitly think where you hunt makes a huge differences in your tactics. I hunt at 30 yards.

I did cut a shooting lane out to 100 yards last year. Does give you some freedom. But not as much fun either, can't see as well.

Looking at Sakos, but damn they are pricey. I really cant justify it over a 700.

the metal on metal click of a safety or a hammer is a sound not found in nature. Neither is the zweep sound of anything rubbing on nylon.

Game often does not spook at the sound of a shot (thunder???), but will light out for the next county at the sound of working an action, particularly if they've been hunted before.

Of course, animals can be as individual in their reactions as people can be. Situation matters, too. The deer that will bolt at a slight movement or sound in what he feels is the open could just hunker down and hide if he feels he's hidden.

Go zweep, zweep, zweeping through the deer woods in a nylon parka and some deer will just stay put, hide, and let you walk on by.

Others will take off if they hear the sound a quarter mile away.

One of the big advantages to wool is the sound it doesn't make. ;)

44 AMP - There's no point in quoting your whole post, but I do agree.

And... I have nearly gotten myself into trouble by wearing "silent" clothing.
I have always been big on being as silent as possible. But, the last 5-7 years have actually had me intentionally making a little bit of noise, here and there.

In 2009, I spooked a bull elk at less than 10 feet during a light rain (in the middle of a week or torrential down-pour). I could tell it was a bull, and that's the tag I was carrying, but I had no shot and had to let the "freight train" keep blasting through the trees.

Not a minute later, I was creeping down the same old logging road, and almost stepped on a doe mule deer that was sleeping next to a new-growth pine (~4') before she spooked (never saw her, at all).

She scared me so much, so deeply, and so properly, that I almost let a round fly into her fecal factory, simply out of instinct.

After that, I started making at least a little noise, now and then.
At least in my neck of the woods... Sometimes, a little bit of spook is necessary to see the quarry, or to see that it's not the quarry.

...But I do still like to keep safeties as quiet as possible if the situation demands it.

Usually when deer stand and look around after a shot they are confused as to where it came from. I always tell the youngsters to reload as fast as they can. Once the echo of the shot dies down they usually do take off at the sound of a bolt being worked. Many times I have shot at deer below me on a steep mountain and had them pick their heads up and look at the mountain across the creek. I have even had deer come back up towards me. Mountain hunting is really deceiving. Many times either I, or someone else in camp will swear that a shot came from across the creek and it was actually up behind. I don't know how that works, you only hear one shot not the echo. That is one of the reasons I was always skeptical about the "Grassy knoll" witnesses.

Back