Quiet safety?

Berserker

It surprises me how loud safeties are, even on price rifles. There are alway work arounds, push hard, or use 2 hands. I hunt about 30 yards, never been outed. But it just bugs me.

Sako is quite. 700s awful. Montanas bad. Savage not the worse. I don't care for button by trigger. Though got one at 20 yards this year.

Yours????

My Barnett Veloci-Raptor crossbow is quiet. And my U.S. Model 1917 Winchester sporter is pretty good. I'm sure someone did work on it.

But I think the Arisaka Type 38 makes a bit of noise if you don't keep your palm pressed on the back of the safety.

I was going to buy a new 300+ yard rifle last year and all guns seemed to make some noise. Some were really stiff. Ran into a model 70 that felt like it needed pliers to move with making your own noises. And Remington 700's with a good click.

Even cocking back a Winchester 94 it makes a click that feels like you're going to get outed.

I used to make my sporterized Arisaka safeties out of titanium and aluminum just for that reason. I consider one of the quietest safeties to be an exposed hammer gun. If you hold the trigger, pull the hammer back, release the trigger and ride the hammer front. Most hammer guns will function in this manner.

Quite safety?

was that auto correct for quiet??? :rolleyes:

Nearly everything makes some kind of click, how loud or soft can be dependent on how you work it. Some guns allow for certain tricks, other's don't.

On a Krag or a Springfield, you can pull back slightly on the cocking piece, taking the spring tension off and making the safety virtually silent.

Much more difficult on a Mauser, and others that don't have a good spot to grip.

You can make a Win 94 (or similar lever gun) silent cocking too. Slightly risky, because if you slip it will go BANG, but it can be done completely silently.

EASE the hammer all the way back, as far as it goes WHILE holding the trigger all the way to the rear. RELEASE the trigger, and ease the hammer down the short distance onto the full cock position. Doesn't make a sound if done right.

Practice with an EMPTY rifle, you'll see what I mean.

44AMP, I've been cocking my 336 like that for a long time. I've gotten so used to doing it I don't even think about it any more. But yep, release the trigger FIRST. LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Winchester 70 series and similar are the hardest to operate quietly. But even with that it has never been an issue with me. Sometimes we overthink stuff.

On the other hand I try to be quiet with cocking a hammer or taking a safety off. But I've had the rest of them just stand there and look around after a shot is fired and working the bolt or lever. I've taken two at a time on more than one occasion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ive been lucky, and had presence of mind to push on. Or such.

The sako was quiet. Haven't tried a tikka.

As for auto correct, if someone can't figure it out, I don't think they should reply.:eek:

Yes, they can be operated or made quieter

On my Hunters, if I notice a noisy safety, my initial effort is to slowly disengage them. On buttons I slide then using my thumb and index finger. You really have to address each one in a different way, that you have to figure out. I have also taken mechanical means to reduce the noise. :)

Most of my side-locks are too noisy for my liking and these too can be operated quietly/quieter; whatever!!!. ;)

Be Safe !!!

As for auto correct, if someone can't figure it out, I don't think they should reply.
Or... If the poster can't figure it out, maybe they shouldn't post. :eek:

Being obtuse about your own mistakes is quite petty.
Don't be like that.

As for quite quiet safeties...
Using two fingers makes almost any safety nearly silent. Rather than "flipping" a safety off, try controlling it.

Or, as 44 AMP suggested, go safety-less. Many levers, pumps, and single-shots operate only on hammer position and keeping your booger-hooker off the bang switch.
In most cases, even if the hammer is down, the rifle can be brought into battery without making much (if any) noise.

Last night, I was working on a 1946 Marlin Model 36 that I'm considering converting to a more modern cartridge. With just a little bit of pressure to keep the trigger from "flopping", taking the hammer from half-cock to full-cock is silent.
...No lawyer button necessary.

Actually probably quieter with new lever to leave cocked, and use safety. Cocking is not silent either.

I know how to work around the noise. It just surprises me more don't make them quiet.

Cocking is about as loud as a safety.

Despite the operator being the best safety, I like a safety when climbing through the woods. All my handguns the holster covers trigger.

I am one of the few who doesn't mind a safety on lever. When cycling rounds out it is nice. On Henry's with tube loading, would be different. My bond Derringer has safety, with set screw. I leave it on off

Never thought about it. I don't use the safeties on my hunting rifles...........then I don't carry a round in the chamber.

I've never been outed working the bolt and sliding a round in the chamber when I get in position and ready to shoot, but then I use mostly Model 70s.

I hunt in deep woods. Hard to see 40 yards. Most shots are 25 yards, some times. Working a bolt wouldn't work. Though quieter than safety on a 70.

My personal consistency is, if it is loaded, it is in chamber of my firearms. Except for old single action revolvers.

I've used a Remington safety 15 yards from deer and they never reacted. The clunk sounds loud to us, but some of that may be due to the vibration we feel from the lever when it's used. Regardless, for some reason, it doesn't seem to register with animals. JMHO.

Back