Quiet Muzzle Brake?

jmorris said:
Theohazard said:
My comment was in response to your claim that the law specifically exempts non-attachable sound suppression devices from federal silencer laws, but that's not the case.
That's why Randall had them send a clarification letter, that I reposted above.

The red underlined parts covering the issue.
I understand that completely. I already mentioned that in my first post. Again, there is nowhere in federal law that explicitly differentiates between an attached silencer and a stationary one. Those ATF letters aren't law, they're the ATF's opinion on regulatory guidelines.

This is getting a little off-topic. I don't disagree with any of the facts you've presented. My original post was a direct response to this comment:

briandg said:
I believe that the requirements of the statutes right up front limit the regulation of "sound suppressors" to attached or attachable.
And that comment is incorrect. The federal statutes do not explicitly limit the regulation of silencers to those that are attached or attachable. Yes, the ATF is of the opinion that a silencer needs to be portable and attached to the gun (and most courts would probably agree with that opinion), but that's not actually stated in the law.

Back