Quick pick bolt gun.

Howa 1500 varmint in either 20 or 24'' with threated barrel.
Quality completely blows most budget guns like Ruger and Savage out of the water, their barrels last long and are always very accurate, their actions are square at the bottom with a built in recoil lug making it much easier to bed than a Remington 700, trigger is match grade, all parts are machined steel, bluing is absolutely gorgeous.
It really feels like a much more expensive gun.

@Brian Pfleuger, I hadn't visited this thread in awhile. I'd say the data that you linked is convincing at casual glance. Looking deeper it is a very poor comparison of the two cartridges and not a very good argument for the 6.5 Creedmoor over the .308.

Strictly target shooting I'd give it to the 6.5 Creedmoor hands down, but I still like the 6mm CM better for that. Hunting purposes the 6.5 loses a little of it's luster for me, especially if I'm not having to deal with the compounding effects of recoil over multiple shots like target shooting. Bullets of a similar BC and velocity, means very similar trajectory and drift, and then the heavier larger diameter bullet usually wins out for me on game larger than the average deer. Probably for many of the same reasons you've stuck to the 7-08 instead of transitioning to the 6.5 CM for hunting here in Colorado.

Last edited:
Not being involved with them, I don't know, but for those who are, is there anything (other than fit into an AR) that the modern 6.5s do that can't be done with the 6.5 Swede in a suitable rifle??

Not being involved with them, I don't know, but for those who are, is there anything (other than fit into an AR) that the modern 6.5s do that can't be done with the 6.5 Swede in a suitable rifle??
Less finicky to reload, longer case life, more available and cheaper factory ammo.

In most cases, the barrels (not a cartridge, but a rifle issue) are going to be twisted faster giving better long range ballistics with heavier, higher BC bullets.

Less finicky to reload, longer case life, more available and cheaper factory ammo.

I've never found the Swede to be finicky to reload. And since I do reload, the price of factory ammo isn't a huge concern to me.

Longer case life seems like an unquantifiable claim.

My real point here is that if you wanted to, you could rebarrel a Swede to the same twist and shoot the same long range bullets at the same approximate speed as the popular 6.5s today, and if you wanted max possible performance, simply barrel a modern bolt gun for the Swede round and handload it to higher pressure and velocity.

Even in its original trim with its 45K working pressure, the Swede is an amazing long range round, and definately works well for hunting. Put into a rifle suitable for 50-60Kpsi and with the twist for the long range slugs, I don't see how the Swede would dissappoint, other than its not "new" or "trendy".

And in such a rifle you could also use a 6.5-06 for a little more powder capacity and speed.

Guess I just don't get the appeal of the various "new" 6.5s.....

I'm not a huge fan of the 6.5's either because 7mm is vastly superior! :D

.280 Remington AI with a fast twist to stabilize Hornady ELD 170 grainers, out of a 24'' tube. Mmmh... :D

Heck, maybe even a fast twist 7mm-08 Ackley Improved slinging 162's!

Last edited:
Back