Quick access handgun at the front door?

TXAZ

My wife has decided we need a gun near each of the 3 doors after some members of a 3 letter group decided to shoot their mouths off in comments hitting a bit too close to home, then attempt some (albeit feeble) followup. I'd prefer to have them in a quick access lock box suitable disguised vs a drawer (no kids here but no reason for someone visiting to stumble onto one).

What suggestions do you guys have for quick access that's not obviously a gun safe, that could blend in?
Does anyone make something that attaches to the back of the door, but isn't obviously a gun cabinet?

Has anyone used something like the "Tactical Trap"
https://www3.tacticaltraps.com/? It looks interesting but would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the fake mantle and wall clock, we’ve all seen the fake book on a bookshelf. I’ve seen purpose built furniture with hidden panels specifically for a gun also, these are usually on display at a gun show and these furniture items are not small and don’t come cheap.

I always come to two realties when I ponder these things. Number one is that if I have pants on, I’m wearing a handgun. Number two is that unsecured guns in my home are verboten — by order of me. Because of visitors of any type or age, but for me, it’s the idea that I might arrive at home with an unwanted guest inside. While that person or persons might be traveling with their own weapon, I’ll be damned if I’m going to provide them with one.

TXAZ: Is there a chance that with three of those lock boxes, one could be left unlocked during a distraction in the home during gun cleaning such as a ceiling leak, wife hurts herself?
Luckily this could never happen to any of Us........

My little grandkids are very seldom here, but I would never assume that a mistake can not be made.

My greatest fear regarding guns is that--all over the US--a child could find a gun. They do so and many are killed. Not just in da hood.
The chances that a given home would be broken into with a homeowner inside is very slim, but the fear has consumed so many people.

Wear a pistol on you. It is cheap. It is safe from kids and curious visitors. And it is faster to access than the latest gee-whiz technological marvel you can imagine.

I keep a handgun on a high shelf in a closet near the front door in my entrance foyer. Easy access, out of sight, and no children in this house. Almost no one comes to our front door, not even for deliveries, so any ring of the doorbell is considered suspicious.

You did state; By the front door

What suggestions do you guys have for quick access that's not obviously a gun safe, that could blend in?
First off, my compliments to your wife's observations. Second, you are in the best position to determine the best location and as you have stated; "Blend In".

I went through the same process and my location was has been defined. The only person aware of this location, is my wife who is definitely pro-2A.

Be Safe !!!

I don't get many visitors at my house other than the guy that does my yard or rarely FEDEX or UPS if one of the kids sends me something so when I answer the door my hand is in my right side pocket holding on to and S&W M60 with a bobbed hammer. Also rare are door to door sales people that I politely tell them I'm not interested. Most accept that and leave. Those that are a bit more aggressive are told to get off my property as I let them see me hitting speed dial on my phone to 911. They usually leave.
Paul B.

I agree with the folk that say keep the gun on your person.

That said, if I was going to do something like what you propose I'd put the quick access gun safe near the door but out of sight from the doorway so the person outside could not see it and then I wouldn't care if it looked like a gun safe or not.
Good luck.

I agree with your concerns , I had a attempted home invasion 9 years ago , 9:30 pm , both cars on the driveway , lights on in the house . Next night I realized all my senser bulbs were unscrewed , police said it was a planned not random , a bench found at the back fence . Luckily it worked in my favor , I always have a handgun if not on me it's at arm's length . As someone posted , you don't want to come and the skell be in the house . Be safe and be ready when the bad comes to harm. Hope it never happens to you .

I agree with the folk that say keep the gun on your person.

That said, if I was going to do something like what you propose I'd put the quick access gun safe near the door but out of sight from the doorway so the person outside could not see it and then I wouldn't care if it looked like a gun safe or not.
Good luck.
Thanks Dale but the wife has rejected carrying in-house.

My wife has decided we need a gun near each of the 3 doors after some members of a 3 letter group decided to shoot their mouths off in comments hitting a bit too close to home, then attempt some (albeit feeble) followup.
Judging by the shenanigans I see on the various reports of those individuals - - I believe you'll have ample time to arm yourself. They tend to be very vocal & make a sufficient amount of noise that you should hear them coming from a decent distance away.
Having said that - I stuffed 4 rounds of #5 into my Remington 870 and stuck it by the front door.

(I do have an early warning system in place also - three very vocal and attentive coon hound mix dogs. They t-off on anything unusual going on outside - like a leaf blowing across the yard and/or the garbage truck three streets over)

Early warnings are definitely helpful , my son lives in Florida , 3 tours in Afghanistan . Has two big dogs and plenty of fire power . Protest yourself and loved ones untill the good guys arrive.

Hide a pistol between a folded newspaper...while holding it behind your back; while answering the front door.

Doing your best, in your own best ways

Hide a pistol between a folded newspaper...while holding it behind your back; while answering the front door.
If this works for you, then do so.

When I teach a class, I include the subject of "situational-awareness". It's one of the subject that the students find hard to understand. I live in a home, located in the Midwest. A buddy of mine lives in a larger city, in a questionable part of town. What I "Think" works for me, will not work for him. If I go to my front door to address a stranger, the only thing in my hand, is my "Little-Friend" ;)

Be Safe !!!

Get a wall sign or wall clock of the type sold by outfits like Liberty Concealment. No locks on them to get in your way when seconds count, hung properly and high enough that little ones can't get to them they are something hidden in plain sight. Don't get anything with gun related verbage or logos....that is a tell. If you have something like that make sure you don't go showing it off to 'friends' * either.

There are 'friends' and there are friends. Most but not all of us know the difference.

My wife has decided we need a gun near each of the 3 doors

My opinion on this. Bad idea to have firearms available at 3 different doors. If the door is breached the intruder has access to YOUR firearm so if the intruder is unarmed he is NOW armed.

Fastest access to a firearm in this case, a handgun, is to have it on your person in a holster.

I have a simple safe in my bed stand drawer that I unlock each evening, and re-lock each morning, no matter what. Its part of my morning routine to re-lock the little safe that is bolted into the drawer before I put my glasses on. With two young grandsons that visit often, I would never consider having an unsecured loaded gun around. And high shelves don't stop curious and clever little kids. But at the entrances to my home I do not have guns pre-positioned. That is why my "in home" gun is my S&W 642 in a pocket holster. I carry something with greater capacity when leaving my home, but for around the house, taking the dog out to do her business, walking to the curb 150 feet from my door to check the mailbox, etc., the snubbie will do. I started doing this after my doorbell rang a few years ago and I got up from my easy chair in the den and walked toward the door. Seeing a scruffy looking stranger I had to decide if I talk to him through the locked door or pass the door to go to my bedroom to retrieve a handgun. I decided it was easier to just ALWAYS have a gun in my pocket when at home. My wife does not like guns, will not use a gun, but has accepted that I feel differently than she does about it.

Other than actually wearing the firearm, the Stopbox is handy but it is not a safe.

Good for keeping kids and dumb-dumbs out of the box unless they are willing to destroy it.

Back