Questions on S&W 686

The 4" 686 set up with Hogue Monogrips, is my favorite field, hunting and range revolver.

I find the smooth roll of the S&W double action easier to hit with under field conditions. Most of the time it is stoked with 190 grain WFN hard cast bullets pushed to 1100 fps with IMR 4227. This heavy for caliber bullet, at just under the speed of sound, tames the muzzle blast of the .357 compared to full power lighter bullet loads.

Last edited:
I owned a 6" 686-6 in the past, bought it brand new and yes I miss it but i had to sacrifice for something I really wanted... That something is my 5" S&W 460V.

Anyway having said that, I would grab that 4" 686-3 if I were you! I want another L-frame and the 4" pre-everything is one I'd like to get. Not that I hate the current Smiths with the MIM parts, frame mounted firing pin, IL, etc etc... I just have a bit of a soft spot for the older ones.

If you do get the 6" -6, I'm sure you will be well satisfied with it. I liked mine alot.

I have 3 model 686's. 2.5", 4", and 6". In my opinion the best gun S&W ever made taking everything into consideration including durability. While I shoot mostly light .38, Full bore .357 are not uncomfortable certainly because of the weight of the full lug. I shoot my 6" a lot at steel gongs from 50-100 yards and the load I use is between .38+p and .357. I can shoot 200+ rounds with no discomfort at all. I also had a 2.5" SP101. With the factory grips it actually cracked a bone in the web between my thumb and finger. Different grips helped but not a lot. There is no comparison in the 686 and SP101 as far as comfort to shoot. Not sure what the big difference is but with Grips being equal, my 2.5" 686 is much more fun to shoot than the Ruger.

I have a 686+ Pro Series...seven shots, tapered underlug, with the sides of barrel milled flat.

It has excellent balance, in my opinion, which does reflect limited experience with large revolvers.

I have not fired Magnum leads, but it will handle them.

For perspective, the frame size is the same as that of the Colt Model 1892 New Army and New Navy revolver chambered for the anemic .38 Long Colt cartridge.

But it is a whole lot stronger.

It was a new model when I got it,

I called El Paso Saddlery, described the gun, and received a holster that fits perfectly.

Back