Questions about rust blue/brown at home

" ... electric heaters have steel pots. Have yet to see one in stainless. That is how they sell more. The tank rusts through."

A bit off topic, but it helps to replace the anode rod every few years.

Jim

Just another question I had.

I read some information that indicated that Arsenal refinish CZ-52 pistols were hot blued, sometimes over the existing parkerized finish. There's not much information on it, but there are a few sources talking about hot caustic bluing over a parkerized finish that seem to note that it's possible. There is also some information about cold bluing over parkerizing producing a supposedly fairly uniform black/blue color that is deeper than a standard cold blue. So, it seems that there is some supporting evidence that an oxidation reaction will still happen to blue something that has been parkerized.

With this being the case, can you rust blue or brown over something that has been parkerized?

dakota.potts

No, what they did was sand blast them, and then blue them. I had a FEG Browning Hi-power copy that way, that was ex-police duty. I'd say that someone has saw that blasted matte surface, and thought that they blued over parkerizing.

There was a ton of ex-M&P pistols, etc, that were from Europe and Israel, which were refurbished by blasting and bluing. It was the quickest refinish that they could do, and I'd assume it was done at the armories. The FEG I purchased was quite a good pistol.

There was a gunshop down in Tennessee, that sold a good number of them, which is where I purchased mine, through the Guns America auction. I think the shop was Robertson's Trading Post. Really good guys to purchase from.

I have blued parkerized firearm and it gets a very blue /black coloring
And holds oil with the parkerized crystals on as well.

I would not want to try a rust blue as the rough surface would be a bitch to card.

Back