Questions about revolvers

LOL -- I guess my Colt Walker had a major impact on just how comfortable I feel carrying the hammer down on a loaded cylinder. You few carry anyway you wish.

.02. David. :)

Most folks don't like them because with only 6 rounds you need to learn how to shoot.:rolleyes:

It's not about lernin' how ta choot. It's lernin' how ta reload them dern rotators at speed if'n ya need to. My name ain't Jerry but it starts wit a J.;):p

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Most folks don't like them because with only 6 rounds you need to learn how to shoot.

Most people probably realise that in a stressful situation bullets coming your direction that shooting accurately could be a issue, so more rounds without the need to reload could be a advantage.

Now that my Son has laid claim to the Para elite commander 1911 that I've been EDC'ing for the past couple of years I'm returning, not unhappily, to the Security-six .357. So I won't be talking you out of carrying a wheel-gun.

I'm perfectly comfortable with six rounds of .357 magnum, or even .38 special, in the gun. If you are too then I don't think there's any reason not to carry a revolver.

By the same token, there's nothing wrong with carrying a high cap autoloader either if that's more amenable to you.

In the end I think it comes down to personal preference.

I started with a Sig P938. Carried that for a few months. Never really warmed up to it. Then I didn’t carry anything for a few months. I got a CZ PCR next and enjoyed it on the range but found I never really carried it all that much. I spent the last 8 months carrying it off an on. I never felt physically comfortable carrying it, like it never sat quite right.

Earlier this month a friend talked me into a 686 SSR and I found an enjoyment with revolvers that I wasn’t having with semi autos lately. A Model 60-4 was bought shortly after that. Steel j-frame, 3” barrel, target sights and 38 special. It has taken over the place of the PCR. The 60 fits me better when I carry it, which leads me to carrying it more often.

Yes I have a 9 rounds less with the Mode 60, but honestly I never considered it when choosing. I’d rather have a 5 shot revolver that I carry regularly, than a semi auto sitting at home.

There are fans of both options. What are you more comfortable with? I found I am more comfortable with a steel j-frame with 5 rounds of Hornady 38s.

Do I feel under armed with a 5 shot revolver ? No

But .. a Glock 27 with a +1 mag loaded with 180gr HST is my primary carry piece ..

At times I carry a Charter Arms revovler 5 or 6 shot 38spl or one in 44spl ...as primary..

Im a fan of the 40S&W (23 or 27 )or 10mm (29 or 20) both loaded with 180gr projectiles

Won't try to talk you out of a revolver. I've carried revolvers and semi-autos, full size and compact. My situation is that I'm no longer working in LE, or living in the big city. I used to carry full size guns on and off duty. For a time, I even carried a 4" S&W .44 concealed to determine if that was practical for me. It wasn't. In my dotage though, more often than not I am comfortable carrying a small, lightweight, S&W 38 Spcl. revolver (5+ nothing capacity) or compact 9MM. I don't have any argument with those who prefer to carry semi-autos that are more powerful and higher capacity, who carry extra magazines, etc. Were my lifestyle and location different, I might very well do the same;)

Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Most folks don't like them (sic: revolvers) because with only 6 rounds you need to learn how to shoot.
Most people probably realise that in a stressful situation (with) bullets coming your direction,..shooting accurately could be an issue...more rounds, without the need to reload, could be an advantage.
Both statements are correct in my view...Rod (S&W M60 &/or a Sig 365 in use for EDC)

Last edited:
I've been carrying a gun on and off for over 30 years.

My first choice for a carry gun was a Charter Arms Off Duty .38.

Carried that for quite a few years until I graduated to my current daily carry, an S&W 042 Centennial.

I've always preferred the absolute simplicity of revolvers over semi-autos; not just for carry but for every day shooting.

Over the years I have carried over revolvers and have carried semi-autos, but I've come back to my .38 Snub.

Most of that time I've not even bothered carrying a reload. I have speed loaders and speed strips, but most of the time I have the 5 in the cylinder and that's it. I don't buy the theory that I need 400 spares in case I'm attacked by a wandering tribe of Hottentots.

Recently, though, I've started looking at carrying a polymer 9mm. The current candidate is a Walter CCP that fits my hand like a dream. Had some early issues with it that required a trip back to the factory, and I've not yet finished putting it through its paces on the rebound.

Back