Questions about Remington 870 7-round barrel change

Questions about Remington 870-7 round barrel

Having read the different responses, I inquired with the online Remington store and was informed that they hope to have a conversion adapter by the end of 1st quarter 2015. Also another fix is to purchase a barrel ring from Midway USA and have a gunsmith silver solder in the correct position. Problem solved.

Trap barrels for a the 870 Tact 25077

Hello All,

Great forum. I'm slowly getting back into the firearm interest after taking many years off.

I recently purchased a Rem 870-7shot and now thought I should have bought a combo (so I can go trap shooting with my son). Well, that is now water under the bridge since the purchase is final.

So to use the 870-7 as a trap SG, I also have 1980's-ish 870 Wingmaster with a 30" barrel. With my brass adapter, the 30" wingmaster barrel does fit the 25077. So I just need a brrl for my 870-7...right to have two trap SG!

Now, can I buy any Rem 870 28-30" vented SG barrel (and use my brass barrl adapter) for the 25077 or will only certain 870 brrl fit the 25077?

Thank you again.
TG

All 2-3/4" and 3" 870 barrels except the one to fit the 7 round version will fit. 3" chambered barrels may not eject properly with 2-3/4" receivers. Wingmaster and Express barrels also have different finishes so that may not match.

Thank you for your reply. I was going to say, I just finished reading a post that a 870 is a 870, is a 870..yada yada..

I know this sounds stupid, but are all WM 870 SG built say in the 1980's chambered for a 2 3/4" round? If not, how will I know (stamped on the barrel?)?

If so, I just need to find a 28' or 30" vented barrl that is 2-3/4" chambered...right?

I understand the matte finish won't match...but again. I just want to go with my son once in a while, so having an extra SG for trap would be nice.

TG

I forget exactly when Remington switched to all 3" chambers on 12 and 20 gauge Wingmasters at the moment. Early to mid 80s I think. If the serial number suffix is M for 12 gauge, the receiver is a Magnum and will have a 3" ejector set up. That is not to say that there are not some 12 gauge 2-3/4" receivers with the V suffix that do not have a 3" ejector set up either from the factory or because someone modified it. The receivers are otherwise identical. And barrel will have the chamber length stamped on it.

Thank you again!!

So if I'm just buying a trap barrel for the 870-7 tactical, even if I only shoot 2-3/4 shells for trap (and though my 870-7 is chambered for both 2-3/4" & 3"), I should still buy a barrel stated with a 3" chamber..right?
I mean All SG barrels are at least chambered for 2-3/4 or if they say 3" chamber, it's really for 2-3/4 & 3"..right?

Sorry for the stupid question but I don't know, and I'm only shopping on online stores. And I've read other post that one could have avoided a bad purchase if they did their homework first.

Thks
TG

Here is a pic of the spacer I made from a 1" (ID) copper tubing. There are thinner walled copper (L or M) to make the over all weight lighter, try aluminum if you can find one, but I had this laying around the house. I cut the pipe to 4-7/8" lengths (Per Kevin's post on this thread..thanks) and sanded the edges and the throat to get rid of the flange from the pipe cutter. The inside of the pipe did not need any sanding.

Painted the pipe with primer and then with Rust-Oleum high temp automotive paint..Matte Black. My WM SG barrel fits well on the 870-7 round. Just need to find a decent spare trap barrel now. As the Virginian mentioned, best to use a rubber O ring. I would change the screw cap that does not have the ridges as the one on the 870-7 Tactical does.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4247.JPG
    IMG_4247.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 486
I mean All SG barrels are at least chambered for 2-3/4 or if they say 3" chamber, it's really for 2-3/4 & 3"..right?

When it comes to most modern production guns, yes they are typically either 2-3/4 or 3 inch chambers. Note there ARE some with 2" chambers and of course the goose killers with 3-1/2. If your gun is chambered for 3", you can safely shoot 2-3/4" in it. Please remember, you cannot go the other way. You can always go with a shorter shell in a longer chamber.

Hello Guys,

I went trap shooting the other day and boy did I get rusty. So I was thinking I should try and look for a replacement barrel that is as light as possible, yet durable for the 870. Any suggestion?

My friend used his Weatherby auto trap gun. Very nice and a tad lighter than my 870 WM.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Swap magazine

I don't know that they are interchangeable, but if they are you could replace the long magazine with a 4 rounder and a screw on extension, instead of having a smith move the barrel ring on a 28 inch vr barrel. The easiest solution may be to find someone to swap an old style 7 rounder for your long magazine model. That or just buy another 870 with a vr barrel.

If you really want a dependable 7 rounder, I wouldn't mess with the long magazine.

Whoops. I didn't see there was a second page. Apparently the long magazine slides through the barrel ring on vr barrel and in that case the spacer should work fine.

Last edited:
Thanks....I just picked up a Rem 870 VR barrel. Should come in this week.

I'll send a pic of the 870 with the Rem barrel and spacer once I get that assembled.

Here is the tactical 870 with a 30" vented barrel and the spacer I made. Also compared to the 870 WM.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_4574.JPG
    IMG_4574.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 419
Actually for target shooting, you'll want the heavier barrel to help smooth out your swing. The heaviest gun with the slowest and lightest load will give you the lightest recoil.

I did not know that. I only go shoot trap once in a while.

Well the 870 Tactical and the WM don't feel that much more than the other. The new VR barrel I bought for the 870-T does have adjustable chokes, as my WM VR does not.

Thanks

What FITASC said about heavier guns reducing felt recoil not only mistakes, but some guys here on TFL explained to me how to add weight to my 870 so as not to get kicked to heck shooting trap. [Fill an empty hull with shot and place it or two of the same in the magazine. Do so from the magazine cap end and not via the feed port. Weight can be added to the stock by placing such a hull in the bolt hole, if you have a wood stock, or a sock filled with shot in the hollow of a synthetic stock. If you rarely shoot trap, I wouldn't bother messing with the stock, but the magazine hull weights are easily inserted and removed.]

Back