Questions about barrels

Found out this was due to crosswind, not barrel heat.

Zak Smith mentioned on here multiple times that the best length of time to wait between shots was "before the wind changes". Hard to argue with someone like him.

RC20 -

I guess Bart B's (#17 post) can explain it better than I can:

What Bart B is talking about is the barrel pushing against the face (more so if not uniform ) of the receiver, not the receiver heading up.

He then goes on to say even a uniformed face (blue printed) can do that if the barrel is not equal all around and one part when heated up moves more than the rest.

But, if heat is the issue, shooting as fast as you can make MORE heat in 30 seconds not less.

Space out the 3 shots at 1 minute and the barrel cools back down from the last shot.

Any real heat issue would manifest at 5 shots, not 3. Even 3 fast shots does not heat up any barrel much.

3 shots followed by 3 shots of course does.

1. How hot does a barrel have to get to affect accuracy (In General Terms)?

2. I saw a video on the net about switching barrels and it made me curious about that. Can you switch a light barrel for a heavy barrel in the same action (assuming the stock will or is made to fit)?

1. This is going to be very subjective and will vary greatly even on the same make and model of barrel. Things like barrel profile/weight, length, caliber, material, how well it’s fitted in the action and stock, etc and any combination of those will all play a factor in how “hot” the barrel has to get to affect accuracy. Some as little as 3 shots back to back will heat a barrel enough to cause accuracy issues. Others may take 10 or more shots back to back.

2. Switching barrels is only readily possible using a barrel nut (like Savage uses). Very few tools needed and can be accomplished by most competent people at home. Remington style barrels/actions that screw the barrel into the action will require much more tooling and is likely best left to a gunsmith who can turn the barrel so that it can be properly tightened/torqued while giving proper headspace.

This is too hot: 1500 rounds

Start watching at 3 minutes.
If the barrel is glowing cherry red, you're in danger of seriously changing the accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CLMbXOBnWE

BUT: Unless you have a really hot rifle (with muzzle velocities > 3,000 fps), it's likely in the high hundreds or thousands.

Last edited:
Some of the older rifles (60s and 70s) have very good barrels. For the most part I've yet to see newer model rifles that have barrels that are close to the quality of Kieger, McGowen, Brux, and the countless other aftermarket barrels.

That would be wrong. The receiver has nothing to do with the issue and the faster you fire the hotter it gets. Its totally illogical.
Well, it's not completely wrong but maybe just expressed wrong. Firing faster with a hot chamber can improve accuracy but it's not because of the barrel, it's because the longer the cartridge sits in the hot chamber the longer it has to soak up heat and that may affect accuracy because it may affect the burn rate of the powder. Please note the words in bold.

Back