Question from a beginner

Disassembly of 870

I very recently acquired an old 870 Wingmaster made in either the late 60s or mid 80s, and an 870 Express Magnum made in the mid 90s. I had neither disassembled one before for cleaning nor ever seen it done. I did not have an Owners Manual.

On YouTube, do a search for "Basic Take-Down & Reassembly (all models) Remington 870 Tips & Tricks #9" by Synchronizer. This video carefully describes and shows each step in elementary terms and is easy to understand for a novice.

Removing & replacing the bolt back into the receiver can cause a good man to "lose his religion," but don't let it frustrate you. Every first timer has this difficulty and learns how to "hold their mouth" to successfully complete the process. I am one who has no mechanical background or instincts, and I can now do it without difficulty.

There are other good videos on this subject, but the one I recommend above is the best in literally explaining each step thoroughly.

This is something that is relatively simple and has been mastered by likely millions of 870 owners.

Good Luck.

Back