Question for those who use a LEE FCD

I think you are mistaken. Lee offers a lot of FCD's in many styles; even custom ones. The 45 Colt die is available in as many as 4 different FCD's that Lee stocks for example taper crimp, roll crimp, and the Carbide FCD plus any custom 45 Colt you could imagine. Automatic pistol calibers are typically in taper crimp like 380 ACP, 45 ACP, and 9MM Makarov (among the ones I own) plus any sort of custom FCD that you can imagine.

I own several carbide crimp dies that both resize the finished round while applying a crimp. These are available in lots of varieties from roll crimp to taper crimp and anything custom you might want.

Lots of choices and we don't even have to talk about rifle calibers because Lee makes lots of FCD's in those as well.

44 Special Carbide Crimp Die that does a roll crimp and resizes the finished round:
Not every crimp die from lee is a factory crimp die.

For example the 45 colt. Lee offers a carbide factory crimp die. A collet factory crimp die, and a taper crp die..the taper crimp die os just a tapet crimp die.

Not every crimp die from lee is a factory crimp die.

For example the 45 colt. Lee offers a carbide factory crimp die. A collet factory crimp die, and a taper crp die..the taper crimp die os just a tapet crimp die.
Every die that Lee says is a Factory Crimp Die is a Factory Crimp Die. I was not making up stories when I said the dies in my photo was a Lee FCD for 41 Short or Long Colt. It is that, ordered from the Lee custom shop. There is no number for Lee FCD's - it is an infinite number because they will make anything you want. Same as Lee dies.

***deleted***

Every die that Lee says is a Factory Crimp Die is a Factory Crimp Die. I was not making up stories when I said the dies in my photo was a Lee FCD for 41 Short or Long Colt. It is that, ordered from the Lee custom shop. There is no number for Lee FCD's - it is an infinite number because they will make anything you want. Same as Lee dies.

***deleted***
Smh, i cant comprehend why you think that every single crimping die lee makes is a "factory crimp die"

Heres a link for you of lees taper crimp dies. Note, they do not say factory crimp anywhere. Yes lee makes some dies that they call factory crimp dies. They also make crimping dies that they do not call factory crimp dies.

https://leeprecision.com/search?q=Taper+crimp

And yes lee makes all kinds of custom dies. Those are custom dies, we are talking factory production.

IMO, with the Lee Carbide Ring Pistol FCD, the carbide ring is either doing nothing or it is sizing bullets. In my experience, it was sizing bullets. With standard guns at 10-15 yds, I never noticed the accuracy, but I didn’t like it.

The collet type always worked well for me…rifle and pistol…all straight wall.

Never tried the bottle neck collet fcd. I might.

Lee’s std seater makes a good profile crimp die of sorts. I switched to that for revolver. I use an extra Lee taper crimp die for semi.

I use these dies in a Hornady LNL progressive press. The key is using the Hornady lock ring.

Yep, they all have subtly different names on the packages. Shadow9mm spelled them out in post 15, but one appears to be off:

Shadow9m said:
Lee profile crimp is a collet style crimp for rimmed handgun cartridges as a few straight wall rifle cartridges. Similar to the lee factory crimp die, but for straight wall cartridges.

That seems to be describing the Lee Collet Style Factory Crimp Die (CSFCD). It is available for some longer straight-wall revolver cartridges. The original Factory Crimp Die (FCD) has a collet but is limited to rifle cases long enough so the slots between the collet fingers are long enough to spring back and not take a set (bottleneck cartridges and 45-70 or other straight cases long enough for the collet fingers). Handgun cartridges are too short for that, but Lee came up with the idea of cutting the slot so it doubles back on itself to get adequate length on a shorter collet, and this made the CSFCD possible for magnum revolver cases and other long handgun cases.

Redding makes the Profile Crimp Die, which has a crimp shoulder that starts out as a taper crimp and ends at the top with a roll crimp profile. The idea is to address the issue wherein a firm roll crimp can force the case's mouth brass to turn the corner so abruptly that it lifts the sides of the case away from contact with the bullet, lowering bullet hold. This is another issue the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die (CFCD) is intended to iron out, but the Redding prevents it from happening in the first place by holding the sides of the case against the bullet while the roll crimp is formed. An exaggerated drawing shows this below on the right.

attachment.php

Accuracy and leading issues can result from actually sizing a bullet down, as they need to fit the bore to be balanced and seal (obturate) the bore. The CFCD doesn't usually do that actual bullet sizing, but with some foreign-made, extra-thick brass or cast bullets sized wider than standard, it can. It was designed with the idea that chamber fit and feed was a higher priority than precision. Better the gun that shoots poorly than one that won't shoot at all because it won't load.

Back