Question for those who use a LEE FCD

FITASC

Not that familiar and my Google-Fu didn't find the answer - for those who use one of these, is it in addition to the typical seat/crimp die (talking about pistol cartridges like 45ACP), or is it in addition to afterwards?
Have a Hornady LnL and want to set up two different seaters - one for SWC and one for RN without having to readjust the one die with the two different seating stems.

TIA!

The normal seating /crimp die can do taper crimp to the brass mouth. The FCD does the taper crimp, plus slight sizing of the seated cartridge.

The way I use the FCD. Seating with the seating die WITHOUT crimping. FCD to close the deal.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FITASC said:
is it in addition to the typical seat/crimp die (talking about pistol cartridges like 45ACP), or is it in addition to afterwards?

I can't figure out what "in addition to afterwards" means, but I can tell you the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die is a separate crimp die. Seat first, then use it. It has no seating capability itself. It sports a carbide sizing ring at the die mouth to make sure your finished round doesn't exceed SAAMI dimensions as you withdraw it from the die.

What I was trying to ask Nick was d you use the regular seating die and then the FCD or only the FCD?

I can't figure out what "in addition to afterwards" means, but I can tell you the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die is a separate crimp die. Seat first, then use it. It has no seating capability itself. It sports a carbide sizing ring at the die mouth to make sure your finished round doesn't exceed SAAMI dimensions as you withdraw it from the die.
The fcd simplifies taper crimping because it does not reference the cartridge mouth - so differences in case length won't effect the crimp. A better mousetrap imo.

Some folks get all hung up on the sizing - I'm glad to see you put it correctly.

You use your seating die to seat, making sure you do not crimp (die adjustment). Then you use the FCD. I use a turret for this so I can toggle between the dies. I use a batch preparation method so all prep is done before hand. Then charge, seat, and crimp finished rounds. In my experience the FCD work best with light consistent pressure. Do not overcrimp.

Just to simplify the answer you're looking for...rise the bullet seat die to avoid the crimp, seat the bullet, then insert the cartridge into the FCD die to crimp and post-size at the same time.

It won't size down the bullet unless

The bullet is oversized
The brass wall is too thick
The bullet is seated lopsided

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just to simplify the answer you're looking for...rise the bullet seat die to avoid the crimp, seat the bullet, then insert the cartridge into the FCD die to crimp and post-size at the same time.

That is what I THOUGHT how it worked but I wasn't sure, so I will still a second seater die for RN bullets

I have used both. Personally i prefer the lee taper crimp die. I prefer to seat and crimp separately. But both the factory crimp and taper crimp dies are stand alone crimping dies. If you are loading plated or lead Personally i work recommend the taper crimp die

The lee factory crimp die has a carbide sizer in the base. As i understand it its a bit looser than a regular sizing die. But i have noted a small taper right under the bullet depending on the thickness of the brass used.

I have used both. Personally i prefer the lee taper crimp die. I prefer to seat and crimp separately. But both the factory crimp and taper crimp dies are stand alone crimping dies. If you are loading plated or lead Personally i work recommend the taper crimp die

The lee factory crimp die has a carbide sizer in the base. As i understand it its a bit looser than a regular sizing die. But i have noted a small taper right under the bullet depending on the thickness of the brass used.
There are two varieties of Lee Factory Crimp Die. Only Uncle Nick (naturally) used the proper terms for the one that resizes - he called it a "Carbide Crimp Die" which is what Lee calls the ones that have the sizing rings.

The typical Lee Factory Crimp die does not have this feature.

FITASC said:
What I was trying to ask Nick was d you use the regular seating die and then the FCD or only the FCD?
I have been using the Lee FCD for all my handgun loading for more than 20 years. The seating die is set up to seat but not to crimp. The factory crimp die applies the crimp and also irons out any bulge in the region where the bullet base is within the case.

There are two varieties of Lee Factory Crimp Die. Only Uncle Nick (naturally) used the proper terms for the one that resizes - he called it a "Carbide Crimp Die" which is what Lee calls the ones that have the sizing rings.

The typical Lee Factory Crimp die does not have this feature.
Smh, lee makes several crimping dies. Seeing as we were talking about a crimping die for a rimless handgun cartridge, not bottleneck rifle or rimed handgun, I felt that the delineation would just create confusion. As such i maintained the OPs original language.

But since you insist

Lee factory crimp is a collet style crimp die for bottleneck rifle cartridges.

Lee carbide factory crimp die is for rimless handgun cartridges. It includes a carbide sizer as well as an adjustable crimping stem so you do not have to move the die body itself to adjust the crimp.

Lee profile crimp is a collet style crimp for rimmed handgun cartridges as a few straight wall rifle cartridges. Similar to the lee factory crimp die, but for straight wall cartridges.

Lee taper crimp is a taper crimp and is useful when loading plated or lead bullets with no cannelure in straight walled cases where you dont want to roll the mouth over.

Lee large series factory crimp die the lee factory crimp die, for bottleneck rifle cartridges, their collet crimp but for large cartridges from 338 lapua to 50bmg.

Last edited:
Smh, lee makes several crimping dies. Seeing as we were talking about a crimping die for a rimless handgun cartridge, not bottleneck rifle or rimed handgun, I felt that the delineation would just create confusion. As such i maintained the OPs original language.

But since you insist

Lee factory crimp is a collet style crimp die for bottleneck rifle cartridges.

Lee carbide factory crimp die is for rimless handgun cartridges. It includes a carbide sizer as well as an adjustable crimping stem so you do not have to move the die body itself to adjust the crimp.

Lee profile crimp is a collet style crimp for rimmed handgun cartridges as a few straight wall rifle cartridges. Similar to the lee factory crimp die, but for straight wall cartridges.

Lee taper crimp is a taper crimp and is useful when loading plated or lead bullets with no cannelure in straight walled cases where you dont want to roll the mouth over.

Lee large series factory crimp die the lee factory crimp die, for bottleneck rifle cartridges, their collet crimp but for large cartridges from 338 lapua to 50bmg.
The place I use for buying Lee FCD's (Dongs) divides them into two boxes so there is that.

The fact is Lee makes many different styles and always has. It's a matter of finding the one that works best - for example I use the 32 WCF and 44 WCF for pistol cartridges yet they are aimed at the rifle enthusiast. Meanwhile I use the 9MM Makarov FCD when reloading 38 S&W because it is the correct diameter.

Lots of choices to make: https://leeprecision.com/search?q=Factory+Crimp+Die

I have not used a LEE FCD since Dardas, a cast bullet seller told me that the die resizes cases and swages the bullets, thus affecting accuracy. I'll have to agree with him since a case with thick walls will have more tension on the bullet than a case with thinner walls when run through the Lee FCD. I conducted a test maybe 2 years ago comparing the accuracy of my 38 Special by changing out the brass. Loads with Remington brass printed the tightest groups. My conclusion is not that Remington brass in not the best brass but the best for that load, an important variable is the case tension against the bullet.

A friend who is a serious bullseye competitor and who doesn't like the Lee FCD because resizing the mouth region of the case may affect accuracy. To get around this, he cuts out the carbide sizing ring and uses the FCD only as a separate criming die, without the post-sizing function.

In my case, I load almost exclusively for semi-auto, for both practice and (formerly, pre-COVID) practical shooting competition. Absolute micrometer accuracy is less important to me than 100% reliable feed and function, so if the FCD irons out any rounds that might otherwise hang up during feeding due to a bulge in the bullet seating region of the case, I'm all for it.

I have not used a LEE FCD since Dardas, a cast bullet seller told me that the die resizes cases and swages the bullets, thus affecting accuracy. I'll have to agree with him since a case with thick walls will have more tension on the bullet than a case with thinner walls when run through the Lee FCD. I conducted a test maybe 2 years ago comparing the accuracy of my 38 Special by changing out the brass. Loads with Remington brass printed the tightest groups. My conclusion is not that Remington brass in not the best brass but the best for that load, an important variable is the case tension against the bullet.
The bullet seller did not know what he was talking about. Many Lee FCD's do not resize the cartridge. Often you just need to order the right die for your use. Example:

https://leeprecision.com/taper-crimp-die-45-colt

Back