Question for bow hunters regarding boars

Complete opposite here. I like recurves - more challenging, quiter, less things to go wrong, primitive and more rewarding. But I have all. Yes under 25 yards arrow is already passed thru and stuck in the ground as soon as you pull trigger. All are good it's just you get what you want out of it. Just meat-crossbow. Very challenging but rewarding along with meat then recurve or longbow. In between with a lot of fancy gimmicks-compound. All do the same thing.

Brian,
As always, I'm gonna start and say I'm not the most experienced hunter. I like to think I'm an okay archer though. I was respectfully wondering what you're definition of acceptable accuracy is? I can shoot a pattern the size of a cantaloupe at 50m with 6 arrows with a Muzzy. To me that is acceptable, maybe I'm just an average archer. I will look into the Slick Trick if it does better. My bud is super impressed with RamCats, but I haven't seen any in person. I don't care enough about any brand(except Copenhagen ;) )to get on my high horse over. Was just wondering, how much difference you think there is.

Muzzy's are acceptably accurate. You'd probably have to be a top level competitive shooter to know the difference. You might be able to tell, hard to say. Very few archers who don't use back tension will be good enough to see the difference.
Almost all broadheads are acceptable, although I have run across a couple that weren't (a Walmart brand that looked like Muzzy leaps to mind).
Some guys are accuracy freaks. When you can shoot 60x 300, you can tell. (I can't, BTW, but I know guys who can/do.)

Never heard of slick trick as I haven't kept up with archery gear in the last 6-7 years. They look like Muzzy so what's the difference?

FWIW, I've killed hogs with muzzy's no problem. I would imagine most popular bow / broad head combo would work if you hit 'em where you need to.

And no mechanicals for me...had a bad experience with them once.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure I don't shoot a 60x300, the main factor in my judgment being I don't even know for sure what that means! :confused: I was just wondering if you could answer my question a little more clearly, (maybe you did and I'm just too thick to have gotten the point) but I still am wondering what is the big noticeable difference in the Slick Tricks and Muzzys?Like I said 50m is my decent patterns. I can shoot father than that but, I wouldn't because I don't think I will comfortably, and ethically be able to do that on an animal anytime soon unless the deer start getting A LOT bigger.

For you I'm sure there is a difference, but am I gonna notice if I pay the money and switch to Slick Tricks in your opinion?

Actually, for me there's not much difference. I'm not that great of a shooter.

60x-300 is a perfect score in competition. It means you shot 60 arrows and put every single one in the in the 1.5" 10 ring, and not only that but every one hit the X, the center of the center.

The trick with archery is not what happens when you make a good shot, it's what happens when you make a less than good shot. The best, most forgiving equipment makes your less than best shots better.

What's "different" about Slick Trick? I have no idea, except I've never known a really good shooter who could shoot any broadhead better. Maybe there's a better one, I haven't seen them all, but if there is I haven't heard of it.

What is "acceptable accuracy"? It means putting every arrow in the kill zone but not when you make your best shots, when you make a less than best shot. Of course, you screw up bad enough and no arrow, bow, broadhead or anything else is going to guide the arrow where you wanted it, but really good equipment "forgives" small errors.

Oh okay, thanks. I am pretty sure I could sit out there shooting until I starved and not do that. I like that definition of accuracy. I think I'm gonna start re-routing those nueropathways along those lines. I guess you summed it up the first time, I just made the mistake of thinking I was slightly above average. Which I am for my highly esteemed and decorated peer group (my pompous and not very good brother in law!) :rolleyes:

You can shoot a perfect score in competition at 50M then try it deer or hog hunting and miss by a mile or wound a lot and them run off and never to be found. At 50 yards a deer can jump the string so quick and hogs I'm sure the same. It's nothing like a target standing there looking at you all day. I'd advise hunters to do their best to make clean ethical kills on the game their taking. We owe that to the game were taking, if not let them walk and there'll be another day.

I'll stick with the Rages. Every hog but one was a complete pass through and the one that wasn't went about 30 yards. Every hog I shot with a muzzy (in the 12 ring) went about 1/2 mile before getting off the property to be lost forever. My mule deer last year was a perfect lung heart lung shot with the shaft buried in the ground two thirds of it's length in the ground. All my buddies here shoot 'em too and their just fine with 'em. I remember one of my archery pals tried some shuttle T's and shot one hog five times and had to recycle arrows while doing it. BTW he shot for PSE and was awfully good. Anything can happen with a bow and arrow and having a larger cutting area is just good sense for me. I know others have used fixed blades very effectively; it's just not working for ME.

I love to pig hunt with my bow. I have used Rage broadheads in the past, but now I stick with G5 Montecs. They are not difficult to kill, I prefer waiting for them to be quartering away and sliding the arrow behind the front shoulder.

The furthest rest I have had one run on me was 200 yards, but with that one after the arrow passed through her it stuck a piglet and pinned it to the ground... So if you average the distance the two traveled it was only 100 yards ;)

I use Zwickey or Magnus 2 blade broadheads, but I shoot instinctive with a recurve (older vintage Bears, Howatts, Wings, Ben Pearsons, Brownings, etc.). Cedar and weighted carbon arrows. In the past few years, I have had several deer travel no more than 50 yards after being hit. I also arrowed a Florida wild hog that went less than 100 yards and bled out through a wound channel that looked like a .30-06 softpoint hit it. And I'm only using a 50# recurve.
Keep them razor sharp on a heavy arrow, pick a spot and focus. The old 2 blades work just fine.;)
Nothing against compounds or crossbows, if that's what you like. But to me, there is nothing like taking a well made vintage Recurve out into the woods hunting. They are light, responsive and perfect for fast action and LOW light conditions at dawn or dusk. Plus the curves on the recurve bows are sexy.
And SIMPLE. Once properly tuned, there are not sights to get knocked out of kilter, no wheels, cams or cables to tune, nothing to oil, no creaking noise when I draw, no trigger releases to lose. I only carry a pre-shot & waxed spare string for my recurve when hunting. That's it. If my string should break in the field, I can replace it in under 10 seconds. Simple.
Plus, there is the additional challenge of shooting instinctive, like mankind has done for 40,000+ years, no sights or gadgets, just me, two sticks and a string. Just look at what you want to hit and shoot, much like throwing a baseball.
Pure and simple, basic bow hunting. For me, it puts the "sport" back in hunting. ;)
Oh yeah, pertaining to broadheads; many hunting outfitters now ban / forbid the use of "Rage" and other expandable broadheads and only allow cut on impact blades, due to the amount of lost & wounded game they have seen with expandable broadheads. Yes, the TV commercials for the "Rage" and others are very cool, but in the field, I would stick with a quality 2 or 3 blade for game, even if I used a modern, ultra fast compound or Crossbow.

Last edited:
I use Magnus with my recurve but for hogs, I prefer either a 3 or 4 blade as the cut doesn't seem to close as easily...providing a better blood trail if needed.

I had a head injury and couldn't shoot a rifle for about a year. Easy fix, .44 Mag. or .45 colt. Bowhunting is a lot of fun though. There are lot's of good bows out there. Go to a few bow shops and ask plenty of questions. The only recommendation I have is to stay away from mechanical (expand on impact) broadheads if you are going after pigs. That gristle shield can be pretty thjick and you could also hit a heavy bone like the shoulder. I would use the Snuffer head if you are going after pigs.

Back