Question for anyone who owns or runs a gun store.

My LGS - used, you buy as is. New, and my LGS has for me shipped the defective gun back to the mfg at no cost to me, and when those fixes didn't work allowed me to trade it in for anything else in the store for what I paid. So I traded a PPK/S that was faulty in for a Smith airweight - may have paid a little boot for the Smith, but the prices were in the same ballpark.

There was NO mention of FFL issues.

It took three tries to get a working PPK, but the LGS fully supported the sale with super after-sale support.

Sevens
Quote:
He's an idiot.
This really isn't necessary and may not be accurate.
No, the dealer is an idiot. An idiot invents laws or regulations that don't exist. I would bet the OP would get a blank stare if he asked that dealer to explain why it "complicates" the original 4473.

And I say this knowing well ahead how much you enjoy arguing about FFL stuff.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't enjoy arguing, but I do dislike it when I see someone invent laws or regulations that don't exist. You are welcome to view it differently.;)

Frankly, if the dealer gives Aarond a different handgun right then and there because his original purchase is defective, this could easily be construed as a genuine 4473 "HASSLE" simply because he's going to have to fill another one out.
OP didn't use the term "HASSLE"..........but stated the "kitchen-table FFL owner said there are complications with the form 4473"..........returning a firearm days afterward DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the original 4473.

But when I bought a hot water heater form Lowes,,,
It leaked the moment I turned the water supply back on,,,
One phone call and Lowes exchanged it for a new unit that very day.
Individual stores handle things differently.
@ my local Home Depot, they won't take back any DOA Ridgid tools. They'll tell you flat out to go to the Ridgid service center.
I refuse to take a chance o Ridgid tools from them for that very reason.

If I need a tool, I need it now to finish a job, not in two weeks when it comes back from the shop. Nor will I buy another tool to finish the job while waiting.

My local Lowes though has been pretty good about replacing a DOA.

I worked at Bass Pro for a few years, the policy was that we would take back a gun if purchased within 30 days and that the gun had not been fired. Once the gun was fired it became a used gun and couldn't be resold as new.

Question I'll pose, if you do not fire the gun how do you know its defective?:confused:

returning a firearm days afterward DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the original 4473.
Well, I do have to cross out the line with the old gun and add in the new one. That's, like, 10 seconds of my time, man. ;)

The biggest concern is what happened to the gun between when it left the store and when it came back with a claim of a defect. If Uncle Steve did an "action job" on the gun and it shaves lead, that's not a defect. If Martha bought a high-end Kimber to use in a 3-day class and doesn't want it any more, that's not a defect. I'm pretty sure the barrel in Joe Bob's Colt didn't come from the factory with that bulge.

For the record, we're also pretty good at telling whether a gun has been fired, no matter how well the claimant may have cleaned it.

If there is an honest defect, we'll work with the customer to find an equitable solution, but these things aren't like toaster ovens, and we can't treat them like they are.

Gun didn't have to be defective to return it, one guy's wife didn't want him to have it---TWICE. As to being defective, some won't go bang the first time, you may find other defects that weren't noticed when purchased. BPS did return defective guns to the mfgs. as a service to customers, this can be a biggie, I've paid 50.00 or 60.00 a couple times to return guns for warranty service plus the trouble.

I won't buy a new gun from a store that doesn't refund my money, if I buy a new gun that is defective out of the box I don't want another one, or that gun fixed, I want my money back so I can buy a different brand of gun. A gun should work out of the box, no excuses for it not to.

I agree a new gun should work out of the box but we all know that they don't all work. The gun store doesn't mfg the gun, if they take a used gun back they can't sell it as a new gun. It's not the store's fault, but the Mfg does warranty their products and things do slip thru their QC, Too often in my experience. Matter of fact if I had a gun store I wouldn't even sell Taurus products for that reason.

For the record, we're also pretty good at telling whether a gun has been fired, no matter how well the claimant may have cleaned it.

Got to shoot it to know its defective. Better to tell the LGS that it has been shot and this is what it does and doesn't do.

Got to shoot it to know its defective. Better to tell the LGS that it has been shot and this is what it does and doesn't do.
Yep, and if it is, we'll work with the customer. It's the folks who try to sneak a used gun past us as new because of buyer's remorse. We shouldn't have to absorb that loss.

Let's bear in mind that people do not read the manual. I've explained numerous times that the reason someone's gun isn't firing is because the safety isn't engaged. The reason Bill's Glock 23 won't group and keeps jamming is that he's running 9mm ammunition through it. If Stanley holds the trigger down on an Ithaca 37 while he works the action, the gun is going to fire.

Those aren't defects.

Question I'll pose, if you do not fire the gun how do you know its defective?

I'll ask again, what was wrong with the gun you returned?

When I got it home I started to clean all of the factory oil from it,,,
It was then that I noticed that the cylinder would spin freely,,,
It would not lock into place as you worked the hammer.

Bad out of the box.

Aarond

Thanks for the insights gentlemen,,,

Thanks for the insights gentlemen,,,
My main question has been answered.

There is nothing in law that prevents a gun-store from taking the gun back and refunding my money,,,
There are store policies that state no refunds on guns,,,
But it isn't a matter of law.

Thanks again.

Aarond

Back