question about selling a pistol

Hmmm....

Deerhunter said:
A friend of mine left his pistol at my house when he went to Iraq.

If he is really a friend, then the friendly thing to do would be to stick it in a safe or whatever and forget about, treat is as yours but don't sell it.

Deerhunter said:
This guy is no where near a great friend. He tends not to be very responsible, most of the time. I went out of town for a week when he lived here in VA. He dropped me off at the airport and took my truck home. Turns out that he took it out to a club and ended up getting it towed when he was stopped for a DUI. Now I am sure a lot of you are like me, Don't mess with my truck or guns. I knew I never should have agreed to hold onto it for him.

Then hang on to it for a while and dispose of it, but 7 months really isn't that long of a time. Kind of sounds like you are sorta ****** at the guy, but selling his pistol to buy one you like kinda puts you in the same boat, eh?

Sounds like a similar situation a friend of mine had with an old roommate. She held on this person's stuff for about three years, then disposed of it (mostly worthless furniture, bedding, etc.).

They never come back so I know they are being delivered to him.

"Never come back" just means they went to a still live email account.

It does not indicate the email has actually been seen by the addressee.

Why the hard on to get rid of the gun?

Or are you looking for the money ... by stealing it from someone.

After 7 years I'd be reluctant to sell someone else's property. Is there danger to having it around, like kids or something? Snap a trigger lock on it.

Perhaps What Troubled Me Most....

About this is, the original poster said he had other stuff of his friend that he was storing, and didn't have a problem storing it, and wouldn't even think of selling. But in the case of his friends gun, since the OP wants to buy a different gun for his own use, he actually asks the opinion of those here if that's cool?

Here's my answer: If you ain't got a problem keeping your friends stuff OTHER than the gun, but you think you have a right to sell off his gun to get funds for a purchase you want to make, I am very happy you are not my friend.

You sound much like a relative of mine, who actually feels if he borrows something from you, and keeps it, that's cool, because he has possession of it right then, and you don't.

Exactly what part of FRIEND don't you get anyway?

I think you are wanting to sell the gun for the wrong reason.
By selling the gun to get something you want for yourself,is saying to me,that I would not want your friendship.
Sell one of your own guns to get what "you want."

For all those that just joined in. Here is the deal. He left a bunch of military stuff with me that I also wanted to get rid of. Just not the place to be talking about stuff other than guns so I didn't mention getting rid of that stuff here.

I was good friends with this guy then he did some stupid stuff. He took my truck when I was out of town. He took it into a bad part of DC to go to a club. He then decided it was a good idea to get really drunk. He then realized that my truck sitting in DC wasn't a good idea so he drove it. He was pulled over, got a DUI and had my truck towed. Then he decided it would be a great idea not to tell me about it. He basically threw the friendship away. I was very reluctant to help him out but figured I would give him a chance. So as far as me being a friend you don't know me and what I have done for my friends. This guy has not contacted me since Labor Day 2008. I am looking to move and don't need a bunch of extra stuff laying around. Is a pistol a big deal no, but eventually I want to get rid of it. I don't want to be responsible for it. At the current time I can not afford a big gun safe, if those of you that want me to put it in one and forget about it, feel free to send money so I can buy one. For all I know the guy is dead, wouldn't suprise me with the stupid stuff I have found out he has done.

As for the email....They are going to an active email account, it is the only one that he has used as long as I have known him. I don't know if he has read them no way to know. I have no other way of contacting him and I have tried.

Deerhunter,

Let's turn this around. You decide to leave your new 42" HDTV with me so it doesn't get damaged in storage. After 18 - 24 months, life is settled enough that you want your stuff back. But, well, I just didn't want that HDTV hanging around so I sold it for funds to upgrade my own home theatre system... or put a hi-performance gearbox in my truck. I waited all of a year, so what's the beef? :rolleyes:

This is how people find themselves charged with theft, felony theft, embezzlement and/or fraud.

Do some research on the web. Google his name - you might find likely addresses for him if he's paying for utilities somewhere. Send letters asking him to claim his property by [date-60-days-from-now] or it'll be sold. Lastly, ask your lawyer if taking out a brief ad in a Florida paper or two declaring property of firstname middleinitial lastname will be sold in 60 days unless he calls a number will help show you made honest attempts to notify him.

If I had left something like a pistol or TV with someone I would be keeping in contact with them. I would be calling or writting an email about my stuff.

That is also why I posted the question. I then talked to a lawyer who told me that I had to try and contact him with what ever means I had possible. Hogdogs was nice enough to try and help out, he ran a search for the guy and came back with nothing. I am planning to keep the pistol around for a while and wait to see if I hear from him. I just wanted to get an idea of what I would need to do if he never calls or writes about it.

Back