Question about S & W revolvers

I'm looking for more trouble. :)

The model 29 has been out of production for well over two years now. And last year S&W produced its last blue finish revolver, the Model 10 and now all blue finish revolvers are gone from the standard production line. All that is left are the Performance Center guns in the model 625, 627 and 586.

Robert

"The model 29 has been out of production for well over two years now. And last year S&W produced its last blue finish revolver, the Model 10 and now all blue finish revolvers are gone from the standard production line."

Crap.

Shows you how much I've cared about S&W in the last 18 or so months.

Well, that officially seals it for me -- I'll be purchasing only after-market guns.

I can't stand the look of stainless steel.

And any company that drops the Model 19 is NOT a company I want to deal with.

Mike, thanks for the S&W N frame history. I didn't realize this beefy configuration had such a lineage. As for SS vs. Blue. I have both. SS is easier to keep clean, although it can be marred just as easily as blue. I have to admit that the deep factory bluing of S&W and the Royal Blue from Colt are just beautiful.

Distributor Lew Horton ordered 5,000 Classic Hunter specials in 1987 with 6" full underlug barrels and the four position front sights. These were all 29-3 (blue) handguns. Another 2,500 were ordered in 1989 in 29-4 with 8 3/8 bbl. Some also came with 5" bbl and full underlug, all blue steel.

Mike....tis ok as long as we stay 180 out of phase, otherwise might get destructpating resonance and the ugly fall off the Colt.
S

"There is a reason for using a pin to help retain the barrel."

There! Proves my point again...you can't come to this forum without learning something new. :)

Thanks...

PKAY,

Ok, I got hold of my reference books.

Here's the list of N-frame chamberings prior to 1935, when the .357 Magnum was introduced.

Also, the N-frame DID come out in 1908.

Hand-Ejector, First Model (1908), aka the Triple Lock, New Century, or .44 Military:

.44 Special
.44 Russian (ohh!)
.44-40
.455 Mark II (.455 Webley)
.38-40 (another one I'd love to have)
.45 S&W
.45 Colt (21 REPORTED to have been manufactured)
.450 Eley (1,200 or so REPORTED to have been manufactured)
.22 Long Rifle (A "small quantity" reported to have been made)

.44 Hand Ejector Second Model (didn't have the Triple Lock feature, and had an unshrouded ejector rod)

.44 Special
.44-40
.45 Colt
.38-40

.44 Hand Ejector Third Model (Model 1926 HE, prewar [WW II])

.44 Spl.
.44-40
.45 Colt

.38/44 Heavy Duty (Pre-war, .38 Super Police)

Souped up .38 Spl., to be fired only in N-frames

And finally,

U.S. Model of 1917 (a variation of the HE Second Model)

.45 ACP in moon clips, and later .45 Auto Rim.

I guess it's time for me to stop revolver shooting. All of my double action revolvers are either too weak to shoot or "BUTT UGLY". I carry a S&W BodyGuard that was made in '68 my dad one that was made before that.Talk about an ugly gun. I have a pre md.29 in .44spl(My Indiana Jones gun) that is very accurate; several md. 58s,27s,19s,66s. Just cann't take the chance that they might blow up in my hand. It would limit my knife making. My Python ($89 new) is so ugly I'll have to wire a porkchop to it and let the dog bury it in the yard. Now if I could find a ROSCO .22 maybe I could go out in public "styling" again. I guess I'll have to retire my Mauser 1898 broomhandle as well and get a safe good looking gun to replace it like a Glock
"NOT".

LIGHTEN UP GUYS!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally do not like the look of most SS guns over a good polished blue. SO WHAT! Personal preference. The L frame smiths came about to give Smith a .357 that was lighter than the N frame for cops. But would be as strong as a Python and stand full power .357 loads. The K frame was meant to shoot with .38 spl and carry with .357 mag. Becasue Bill Jordan considered the N frame to be to heavy for everyday LE belt carry for the average COP with everything else that had to be hung on the Belt. Smart Man.

The Python got it's reputation in target shooting. The looks are part of the taste of the top shooters of the day. IT was a revolver with a distinctive profile and modern look that set it apart from the past. Venilated rib, same as on a competition shotgun. This is part of what set it apart from the same old belt gun. No one wants a sports car that looks like a sedan.

Enough opinion...Tired of typing.Got to go to work at the gun store. This is a good thread. It has a lot of good discourse to go with the drak.

I support the first ammendment as well as the second. I just think they should have been listed in reverse order.

Cheers,

ts

Gee Whiz, Guy's

a lot of good information, in this thread. But, I have a question for you guy's (or gal's?}. At what date did the 629-5 Classic enter into the mix; and what was the change?
Thanks in advance for any, and all input.

Respectfully,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

BMW,

No one ever said that beauty wasn't in the eye of the beholder.

That's why I think Pythons are BUTT UGLY and N-frames are absolutely gorgeous.

BTW, did you know that the First Amendment was actually proposed as the THIRD, and the Second was proposed as the FOURTH?

Interesting bit of trivia.

The first two weren't ratified...

Dan,

Let me check my books when I get home this evening.

BMW,

Proposed Article 1 dealt with how members of the house would be elected, and the composition of the House once it hit certain markers.

It was ratified by 10 states, but died in 1791.

Proposed Article 2 dealt with, what else, pay for Congressmen.

Some things never change.

Back