Question about Riot Shotguns...

I sent Kel-Tec a question about the lower rail possibly breaking with a vertical grip mounted.
They said the rail has been reinforced on newer guns and that the Magpul vertical grip is good to go.

I MISSTATED THE INFO ON HOW TO HOLD A SHOTGUN BY AN EXPERT.

I simply got it wrong when writing the post.

The expert recommends putting the butt into the shoulder with normal pressure, then just before firing PULL THE TRIGGER HAND BACK AND PUSH THE FOREARM HAND FORWARD WITH SOME FORCE TO PUT ISOMETRIC PRESSURE ON THE GUN.
This is a shotgun and possibly rifle version of the Weaver pistol grip technique.
In the video the shotgun did recoil much less then the standard hold.
This is for combat shooting buckshot and slugs, not shooting clays or birds.

The opposing force puts an isometric tension on the gun like the Weaver grip does with a handgun to reduce recoil, increase speed, and accuracy.
The reason for not pulling and pushing until ready to fire is like the Weaver, you'll start shaking from muscle fatigue if you tried to hold it too long.

So, for what it's worth it looks like it might be a valid shotgun shotgun or even close range combat rifle technique.
My concern with this technique and the KSG lower rail was that pushing forward hard on the Magpul VPG combined with the recoil could do some damage.

Most pump shotgun shooters pull BACK on the forearm so the gun will actually open itself under recoil.
Some older types needed to have the forearm "bumped" forward to allow the action lock to disengage, and others need to allow force on the forearm to lessen to allow disengagement.
Some guns will open themselves when fired if the forearm is pulled during recoil, especially with heavy loads.

In any case, this technique of pulling back with the trigger hand and pushing forward with the other hand might be a valid option to reduce heavy load shotgun shooting recoil.

In any case, this technique of pulling back with the trigger hand and pushing forward with the other hand might be a valid option to reduce heavy load shotgun shooting recoil.

If that is something you heard and want to try... definitely give it a shot. As long as it isn't dangerous, why not?

But in regards to me trying it... nope. Sorry, but I don't have any issues shooting shotguns as it. While I'm always considering new things, pushing/pulling while trying to aim a shotgun seems very counterproductive.

There were a lot of 870's, and still are, riding around in patrol rigs with wood stocks as well. I probably see more used police 870's floating around than old M12's, 37's or the like.

Back